English votes for English laws

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: English votes for English laws

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jaffa Cakes. Always controversial, is it a cake or a biscuit?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:Jaffa Cakes. Always controversial, is it a cake or a biscuit?

Don't get me started!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Why? Will you need moderating? There's nothing wrong with Jaffa cake biscuits. They're the sort of biscuit that you have to finish the packet once opened. Them's the rules of Jaffa Cakes!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Zimba wrote:The cost of relocation is £40 billion +. And that's if you coupd dredge Portsmouth to a depth of 650ft which is what is required for a nuclear submarine to 'disappear' when its loaded with weapons and heads out to sea .........
Sorry, not quite correct.

In order for the nuclear subs to get out of Faslane, they have to navigate the Rhu Narrows. Rather shallow! One or two have scraped the bottom even when on the surface!

Next, they have to go down the southern exit of Gare Loch into the Clyde and out into the Firth, and south past Cumbrea before they can dive to any depth.

Patrol depth of the Polaris/Trident IIRC was 500ft. They need to keep in contact with UK so frequently have to pay out a wire to receive broadcasts. They dive deeper to avoid detection, but prefer 500ft as far as I can remember from my time up there dealing with them.

Pompey, OTOH is closer to open deep water but it has the disadvantage of the Channel. Devonport or even Falmouth would be better.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Milford Haven could do with some jobs.
georgew

Post by georgew »

Tangled Metal wrote:George, who are the people writing those blogs you link? What credentials do they have. Linking to a few snp thinkers isn't evidence of a sea change. It might be true but I'd start to believe it more if you quoted mainstream sources. Call me old fashioned but I tend to trust bloggers very little, somewhere south of daily mail in some cases. There are some I trust but not political ones I'm afraid.

I'm ambivalent about the union now. It's something we're part of but if all the other regions left it I'm not bothered either way. Being English I feel I'd Scotland left England remains in the union with all the international agreements it has now. Wales leaves same thing and if the other regions left I'm sure England will still keep the agreements. Any nation that leaves steps away from those agreements. You see why I'm not bothered about independence for Scotland.

"Mainstream sources"..... ?
There may be a small problem there as all of the national press in Scotland support the unionist cause apart from the "Herald" and the BBC (entirely governed by BBC HQ in England) likewise has shown to be guilty of outrageous bias in this regard (see George Ponsonby's book for the detailed evidence of this).
http://ponsonbypost.com/index.php/comme ... referendum
The result has been that supporters of Independence and of the SNP (not the same thing) have turned their backs on the mainstream media and have created their own media based on the social networks hence the springing up of these blogs like Newsnet Scotland and the rest some of which are written by journalists sickened by the unionist consensus in the media. This is exactly why I appeal to those sincere in wanting to understand the present political situation here to read the sources I've given, certainly no real understanding will be gained by reading the mainstream media which are seen as being totally discredited here.
georgew

Post by georgew »

pwa wrote:I love politics and religion as topics of conversation. It used to be said that those topics should be avoided in polite conversation, but that was a long time ago. In the days of Miss Marple and split screen Morris Minors. The fact that this is a cycling forum does not mean that non-cycling topics are inappropriate. I think the important thing is that discussion stays friendly and tolerant. That is the spirit of a Tea Room. Or should we just talk about our favourite biscuits?

I'm not against the idea that there should be a separate sub-forum for the discussion of politics but violently disagree that there should be no discussion of politics in a cycling forum.

The convention that it is bad form to discuss politics and religion must be at least partly to blame for the degree of political illiteracy in the UK. We live in one of the richest countries in the world and yet see Foodbanks in all of our towns and cities, something which would have been unthinkable when I was growing up during and after the war. I would like to see the discussion of this obscenity in all public forums as it is something which should be held up to public gaze as an object of national shame.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think if you were a bit older you'd know about a worse disgrace, the workhouse. My Gran had the horrors of it right through her life. It never left her. Her family never went into that system but at times it was knocking at the door. Liverpool was a hard place to grow up in with an invalid father.

Compare that system with what we have now and there is no comparison. Food banks may exist but true starvation and forced Labour doesn't exist in the way it did before the welfare state we have. That doesn't mean we can't try to improve things for all but it does mean it's not as bad as it has been.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Tangled Metal wrote:Jaffa Cakes. Always controversial, is it a cake or a biscuit?

In law its a cake
http://www.jaffa-cakes.com/jaffa-cakes-biscuits-name
Proven case m'lud
NUKe

Post by Tangled Metal »

But they fit nicely in the biscuit tin. Actually, they don't get that close. I find I eat them like crisps, basically once opened they get eaten until the packet is empty. So in our house they're also like crisps! :wink: