Merino Wool Underwear

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Heltor Chasca

Merino Wool Underwear

Postby Heltor Chasca » 21 Nov 2015, 6:54pm

I'm after some affordable recommendations please. Primarily I would be using this for work. I'm a gardener. I would use the tops and bottoms for cycling too. Especially sleeping in my tent. Expensive pyjamas!

I'm after long sleeves and full length leggings. I've been using synthetic M&S underwear until now but I'm fed up with the clammy feeling I guess you get from plastic thread.

The prices for merino are staggering but the options from Alpkit seem more reasonable.

Have you got any inroads into the world of wool?

honesty

Re: Merino Wool Underwear

Postby honesty » 21 Nov 2015, 7:02pm

Not sure how the price compares bur Howies do merino undies as well. For legs and tops I got a set from Lidl for 25 quid...

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 21 Nov 2015, 9:59pm

Just been looking for some myself and found some good deals from this Cumbria-based company:
www.edzdirect.com

good luck

and I think they do winter gloves too :lol:

Invicta Tourist

Postby Invicta Tourist » 22 Nov 2015, 4:04pm

I bought an Orca branded 100% merino long sleeved base layer and long johns for about £40 a couple of years ago. I find they're just right when used with my winter cycling clothes for keeping out the cold.

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 22 Nov 2015, 8:30pm

Thank you all for the help. I find every year I feel a wee bit cooler over the winter months. And not in the suave sense of the term. Must be age

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 22 Nov 2015, 9:03pm

Endura Baabaa is good stuff too.

PH

Postby PH » 22 Nov 2015, 9:20pm

I've never had merino underwear, but enough other merino stuff to have learnt that not all merino is equal. IME I've had what I paid for and Howies have consistently been excellent. I'd be a bit wary of buying any underwear for cycling that hadn't been designed for it, I'd need to be very sure the seams were well placed. This one from Embers (Who are local to me and a nice company to talk to) has a seamless crutch
http://www.embersmerino.com/mens/all-me ... -boxer-jet

And if you're sml or XL they're half price in blue
http://www.embersmerino.com/mens/sale-p ... -boxer-sky

AlanW

Postby AlanW » 23 Nov 2015, 7:49am

Bmblbzzz wrote:Endura Baabaa is good stuff too.

+1
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 23 Nov 2015, 8:27am

The first place I would go is TK Maxx. I've bought Merino stuff there a few times, at about 1/10th the price it usually is in outfitters.

My favourite merino underthings are Robert Pierre http://www.pierre-robert.com/

It's standard merino prices under normal circumstances, but I've always bought mine heavily discounted.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mjr

Postby mjr » 23 Nov 2015, 3:49pm

PH wrote:I'd be a bit wary of buying any underwear for cycling that hadn't been designed for it, I'd need to be very sure the seams were well placed. This one from Embers (Who are local to me and a nice company to talk to) has a seamless crutch
http://www.embersmerino.com/mens/all-me ... -boxer-jet

What does "seamless crutch" mean? The picture looks like the seams run in the groin which is a pet hate of mine and something lots of claimed-designed-for-cycling clothing seems to do. Another common problem is a seam near the thigh/bum join.

Are there other recommendations for good places to buy at the moment? Merino or otherwise.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

loch eck steve

Postby loch eck steve » 30 Nov 2015, 5:42pm

Aldi are selling 100% merino wool mens/ladies thermaltops/long johns for £14.99. never bought any so can't comment on the quality , but for that price i'd be happy if they saw me through this winter.

Flite

Postby Flite » 1 Dec 2015, 12:57pm

Over the years I've bought quite a lot of the Aldi merino base layers (long and short sleeved tops).
Not quite as warm as my Endura ones, but extremely good value for money.
I wear them for "everyday", not just cycling, and have found them hardwearing (if I can keep the cat's claws off!)
Easy care - 30 or 40 degree synthetic or wool wash, and onto the rack to dry pretty quickly.
Definitely worth a buy as a test for Merino, but remember there are warmer grades available too.
Only sheeps wool I can wear next to my skin without itching (alpaca is great, but too expensive!)

loch eck steve

Postby loch eck steve » 3 Dec 2015, 8:51pm

Flite wrote:Over the years I've bought quite a lot of the Aldi merino base layers (long and short sleeved tops).
Not quite as warm as my Endura ones, but extremely good value for money.
I wear them for "everyday", not just cycling, and have found them hardwearing (if I can keep the cat's claws off!)
Easy care - 30 or 40 degree synthetic or wool wash, and onto the rack to dry pretty quickly.
Definitely worth a buy as a test for Merino, but remember there are warmer grades available too.
Only sheeps wool I can wear next to my skin without itching (alpaca is great, but too expensive!)

Cheers for that , better get down there before it sells out !

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 9 Dec 2015, 7:10pm

Looks like Alpkit have just started selling this https://www.alpkit.com/featured/baselay ... no%20range

If it's anything like there other offerings, it'll be great.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 9 Dec 2015, 7:24pm

I have a Merino Beanie that I bought in NZ . It cost £40, which sounds crazy, but its sooo good, sooo warm and it even resists wind! Its actually 40% Meino Wool, 40% Possum fur and 20% silk. Someone mistakenly introduced Possums into NZ and now there is 70 million of them - they are a pest whose fur the Kiwis are making into clothing. A jumper in this material costs £200 upwards. If you want something special treat yourself, you will not regret it.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...