27th of October

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

27th of October

Postby Mick F » 22 Dec 2015, 6:34am

Heard yesterday from a reliable source, that the last day we had a rainless 24hrs, was the 27th of October. It has rained every single day since then.

Maybe it's varied a bit throughout the country, but I was wondering recently why I hadn't ridden very far each time out. Usually, I fit in a 60 or 70 mile ride every week or so, but it seams I've not been able to trust the weather for anything like 6 hours.
Mick F. Cornwall

[XAP]Bob

Re: 27th of October

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 Dec 2015, 7:20am

Where - pretty sure we've had dry days up in the Midlands, but I don't keep records...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Dec 2015, 10:38am

Mick F wrote:Heard yesterday from a reliable source, that the last day we had a rainless 24hrs, was the 27th of October. It has rained every single day since then......................

That's certainly been my impression Mick.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Dec 2015, 11:22am

Yeah, now I know this little fact, I'm going to see how long it will be before we DO get a rain-free 24hrs.
Started off dry this morning, but light rain now. Heavier stuff is forecast for later.

I'm off for a Christmas lunch at a pub soon, all for the drivers and passengers of the local community bus. It's about two miles from here so I think I'll walk. I could drive, but drinking and driving isn't a good idea. I could get the bus, but I've missed it. I could cycle, but I reckon I'll be soaked on the way home, so if I walk, I can take my umbrella! :D It's a one, for one-thirty start, so I'll leave at twelve.
Mick F. Cornwall

rjb

Postby rjb » 22 Dec 2015, 11:52am

Mick F wrote:Yeah, I could get the bus, but I've missed it. I could cycle, but I reckon I'll be soaked on the way home, so if I walk, I can take my umbrella! :D It's a one, for one-thirty start, so I'll leave at twelve.

Crikey Mick here in Somerset it's blowing hard and the forecast is for winds in excess of 45 mph. Hope your brollies a good un. :shock:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 22 Dec 2015, 1:08pm

I feel for the residents of Gleridding. It was flooding for the third time in just over a fortnight this morning and more flood warnings are in place over Christmas. :(
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 22 Dec 2015, 1:26pm

I'm sick of this friggin weather.
My mileage on the bike has dropped to almost nothing these days and guaranteed the one time it is dry and I have a chance to get out, someone will come along and ask me to do something or I'll have another doc appointment or something.
I actually thought Bolton might flood at one point a few weeks ago. In places the water was above the bottom bracket and sure enough when I opened her up to make sure, Lake Tahoe emptied out.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Dec 2015, 2:42pm

Vantage wrote:I'm sick of this friggin weather.
My mileage on the bike has dropped to almost nothing these days and guaranteed the one time it is dry and I have a chance to get out, someone will come along and ask me to do something.........................

My sentiments and experience entirely Vantage - annoying isn't it? - it's also fattening, because with my monthly mileage down from about 800 to only just 200, and not eating any less, my trouser waistband is getting tighter.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 22 Dec 2015, 2:45pm

I think the mods should create a "Fair Weather Riders" sub forum for you guys. :wink:

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Dec 2015, 2:48pm

Mick F wrote:..............I'm off for a Christmas lunch at a pub soon............It's about two miles from here so I think I'll walk. I could drive, but drinking and driving isn't a good idea. I could get the bus, but I've missed it. I could cycle, but I reckon I'll be soaked on the way home, so if I walk, I can take my umbrella!...........

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas lunch Mick - how many is that so far this year? I've had four so far, two of which were cycle club events. If your weather was the same as it's been up here all day, your umbrella will have been blown into a tree and you'll be wet through.

You certainly can't take a bike out on a day like this - you'd be in front of the committee on a cruelty charge in our section.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Dec 2015, 2:54pm

kwackers wrote:I think the mods should create a "Fair Weather Riders" sub forum for you guys. :wink:

It wouldn't stop the rain though, would it?

Yeah - but kwackers - I cycled to work, 10 miles each way, every day for 27 years - I didn't mind any kind of weather in those days, but eventually a chap gets fed-up of it. Before I retired, on the days that I'd earmarked for cycling, I had to either go whatever the weather or be deprived of my cycling. I always chose to ride, and I've had some rough rides.

When you get to my age.............. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: - yeah, ok , I know, you young'uns have heard it all before :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 22 Dec 2015, 3:57pm

JohnW wrote:
Mick F wrote:..............I'm off for a Christmas lunch at a pub soon............It's about two miles from here so I think I'll walk. I could drive, but drinking and driving isn't a good idea. I could get the bus, but I've missed it. I could cycle, but I reckon I'll be soaked on the way home, so if I walk, I can take my umbrella!...........

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas lunch Mick - how many is that so far this year? I've had four so far, two of which were cycle club events. If your weather was the same as it's been up here all day, your umbrella will have been blown into a tree and you'll be wet through.

You certainly can't take a bike out on a day like this - you'd be in front of the committee on a cruelty charge in our section.

A fair weather committee - how do they ever get together?

The weather doesn't decide whether the bike goes out - my holiday schedule does. If I'm not on leave, then it goes out...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Dec 2015, 6:45pm

It was blowing a hooligan up out of the valley, and I could see from the livingroom window that the rain was coming down in sheets in a westerly gale. The umbrella wouldn't have stood a chance. :lol:

In the end, I chickened out and drove.
It meant no drinking, but TBH I was so stuffed with food there wasn't room for drinking.
I'm not used to eating such a big meal at that time of the day. How people do it generally, I don't know, but it's not my choice of time for a big meal.

Roast pork and stuffing, apple sauce, sprouts, carrots, parsnip, gravy, followed by Christmas pud and brandy sauce, then coffee and mince pies. (I had two mince pies!)

Chatting over the meal about the weather, it seems that last year it started raining in early November and it wasn't until March that we had a dry day. :shock:
Still chucking it down out there.
Mick F. Cornwall

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Dec 2015, 7:18pm

Mick F wrote:.................Chatting over the meal about the weather, it seems that last year it started raining in early November and it wasn't until March that we had a dry day................

My diary tells me the same Mick - in fact January lasted until early June around here. 2015 was not, repeat NOT a good year for getting the miles in.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 22 Dec 2015, 7:25pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:..............The weather doesn't decide whether the bike goes out - my holiday schedule does. If I'm not on leave, then it goes out...

That about sums me up as well Bob - until I retired of course - and except that if I had a day's holiday, I had to ride, raining or not, because on good-weather days it was either a working day, or I had to do something else. I notice that if there is one day in a glorious week when I am free to ride, that's the one day when it's not glorious - and if there's a glorious day in a rotten week, that's the one day when something I can't get out of is arranged. Not that I'm cynical of course............