27th of October

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 27th of October

Postby Mick F » 18 Jan 2016, 4:13pm

It's not about "official records" for places/villages, because the Met Office don't have rain gauges everywhere.

My facts have come from personal observation and a diary, plus the info from staff at Tavistock golf club. We know what we know, we don't have to go with "official" information. 80 days here.

May not be 80 days somewhere else, but it's 80 days here. The one single day it didn't rain, was Saturday. It's rained on Sunday and today, and no doubt it'll rain tomorrow .................
Mick F. Cornwall

Deckie

Postby Deckie » 22 Jan 2016, 11:04pm

I was woken by a phone call at 4:15 am today, an automated flood warning from the Environment Agency for our area. (We've been flooded several times in the past and a condition of our insurance is that we sign up for their warning service). I stuck my head out of the window and, while it was raining very lightly, I could see nothing to concern me so I went back to sleep.
At 6:30 am I was awoken by Mrs Deckie and informed that we had water in the bathroom (lowest point of the house).
Quick rush outside to clear drains & check the pump (we have a float switched pump to clear water away from the house). Drains were clogged with ash seeds & other detritus that had washed in from the road, cleared that & we were dry again within minutes.
Checked with a neighbour who keeps weather records, apparently we had the best part of an inch of rain in one hour starting just after 5am!

Been a lovely sunny day since!
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jan 2016, 8:27am

Yes, hammered it down overnight Thur/Fri and eased off around 7am, then came down hard again, finally stopping about 9am. Lovely warm day from then on.

Out riding from 9.30 and the roads were awash in places but sunny. Left home at 11degC and whilst up on the Old A30 towards Okehampton it went up to 15degC :shock:
I was dressed for winter riding so was sweating rather a lot! With those temps I'm usually in shorts. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall