Cheers - Dring responsibly

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
AlanD

Cheers - Dring responsibly

Post by AlanD »

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
A bottle of Courvoisier.

On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Two schooners of sherry and a bottle of Courvoisier.

On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Three shots of Red Eye, Two schooners of sherry and a bottle of Courvoisier.

On the fourth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Four measures of Baileys, Three shots of Red Eye, Two schooners of sherry and a bottle of Courvoisier.

On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Five Advocaats...
Four measures of Baileys, Three shots of Red Eye, Two schooners of sherry and a bottle of Courvoisier.

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Seven Speyside Whiskies, Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Eight Grand Marniers, Seven Speyside Whiskies, Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Nine Bloody Mary's, Eight Grand Marniers, Seven Speyside Whiskies, Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Ten shots of Ouzo, Nine Bloody Mary's, Eight Grand Marniers, Seven Speyside Whiskies, Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Eleven Martini's, ten shots of Ouzo, Nine Bloody Mary's, Eight Grand Marniers, Seven Speyside Whiskies, Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
A case of Prosecco, Eleven Martini's, ten shots of Ouzo, Nine Bloody Mary's, Eight Grand Marniers, Seven Speyside Whiskies, Six Hobgoblins.
Five Advocaats...

Cheers! Hic!
661-Pete

Re: Cheers - Drink responsibly

Post by 661-Pete »

Very good. Now write the whole lot out longhand. And fix that typo in the title... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cheers - Dring responsibly

Post by Mick F »

Dunno abbow yoo, burI'm dringing Hobgoblins at the moman'.

Hic.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

May I echo the call to Dring responsibly.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Drink responsibly

Post by 661-Pete »

Meanwhile....

Perhaps alcohol consumption is not so funny, nor should it be treated in so light-hearted fashion, for some.

Recalling my younger days, particularly when I was a student and for a few years after then, when I, perhaps, consumed more alcohol than I should have done, I should count myself lucky that I was spared the worst consequences: that I pulled back from that habit in good time. I now drink very little, and it suits me fine.

There are people out there who need help, rather than being laughed at. At this time of year A&E are often overwhelmed.

So, albeit after correction, maybe the thread title is the right message.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pete, you are correct of course.

At the Christmas lunch I attended yesterday for the drivers and passengers of the local community bus, there were quite a few elderly folk there and we all had a good chinwag. The subject got on to health. Oldest person there was Joan at 96. Bright as a button, fit as a flea, and a wonderful lady.

One interesting point we chatted about is that there's a problem in that the average age of the population is getting higher. We are all encouraged to stop smoking, drink little, keep fit, eat properly (five a day etc), we are screened for cancers, given modern drug treatments if required, winter 'flu jabs and generally kept an eye on and looked after.

Consequently, there is an "excess" of old people and it's going to be a national problem.

Suggestions:
Enforced smoking
Taxation of fruit and veg
Build houses from asbestos
Use arsenic in paints and wall papers
Re-open the coal mines
Remove central heating from homes
Remove car seatbelts and airbags

oh ............. and have free beer, wine and spirits. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:At the Christmas lunch I attended yesterday for the drivers and passengers of the local community bus, there were quite a few elderly folk there and we all had a good chinwag. The subject got on to health. Oldest person there was Joan at 96. Bright as a button, fit as a flea, and a wonderful lady.
As it happens, our next-door neighbour will be celebrating her 100th this coming Sunday. And she, too, is amazingly sprightly: still takes the bus into town to do her shopping.

And I was playing bridge the other day (at the local U3A club) with a partner who recently celebrated her 101st. Although very frail physically, she is perfectly OK mentally and a good card player. At any rate, she showed me up! :oops: The only problem she had was that with her arthritis she couldn't shuffle or deal, so someone else helped her out there.

One interesting point we chatted about is that there's a problem in that the average age of the population is getting higher. We are all encouraged to stop smoking, drink little, keep fit, eat properly (five a day etc), we are screened for cancers, given modern drug treatments if required, winter 'flu jabs and generally kept an eye on and looked after.

Consequently, there is an "excess" of old people and it's going to be a national problem.

Suggestions:
Enforced smoking
Taxation of fruit and veg
Build houses from asbestos
Use arsenic in paints and wall papers
Re-open the coal mines
Remove central heating from homes
Remove car seatbelts and airbags

oh ............. and have free beer, wine and spirits. :lol:

Oddly enough, the same idea occurred to me several years ago, and induced me to write a short story based on the premiss. Of course: the idea is nothing new in dystopic fiction: think: Logan's Run! Anyway, Mrs P (who is an accomplished writer) cast her eye over my effort, and said it was 'quite good'. [Maybe I too should take up writing?]

In my story, citizens were obliged to visit a sort of 'speakeasy' den daily, where they were required to smoke a minimum number of cigarettes. Also, healthy activities were prohibited by law, and police roamed the streets looking for illegal joggers (and of course cyclists) whom they would arrest. My story centred around a sort of rebel who tries to evade this regime (again - as in Logan's Run).

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the text of this effort. I think it succumbed to a hard disk crash I had some years ago. :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well done Pete!
Not for having a HD crash, but for even trying to write a story.

Yes, Logan's Run was a good film. I've seen it a couple of times. I especially liked the design of Jenny Agutter's dress. :oops:
Peter Ustinov played himself very well as I remember.

Talking of Science Future stories, I remember the Tripods serial on BBC. Very thought provoking about how aliens can fit humans with brain implants to curtail their ambitions and creative sprit.
A bit like alcohol I suppose. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Don't worry folks, I'm working on a cycling version whilst enjoying this nice cup of tea. Happy Christmas!