Bread making

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
deliquium

Re: Bread making

Postby deliquium » 13 Feb 2019, 7:48am

661-Pete wrote:Assuming your have the space, I'd suggest making two loaves at once, and putting one in the freezer until you need it. Saves energy! But use the 1-loaf-a-week regime if you prefer.

Thanks Pete for all your help and details, much appreciated :D

I only have a small freezer and sometimes there's not enough room for a whole loaf - but point well made, as it's undoubtedly so wasteful using the oven for one loaf :(

Currently I don't bother giving my loaves a second 'prove', they get whacked in the tin after kneading and baked as soon as is risen suffiently - would you say the more usual double rise method you outlined is necessary for sourdough bread that will only be eaten toasted?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Feb 2019, 3:47pm

deliquium wrote:Currently I don't bother giving my loaves a second 'prove', they get whacked in the tin after kneading and baked as soon as is risen suffiently - would you say the more usual double rise method you outlined is necessary for sourdough bread that will only be eaten toasted?

Hard to say. I don't think the fact that you toast your bread makes any difference (we eat some of ours toasted, some not).

We also make a half-and-half (i.e. half wholemeal and half white) bread, using cultivated yeast (not sourdough) and that one is given just a single rising. But I don't think that works for 100% wholemeal bread. Also, I don't think it works for sourdough.

Incidentally, we don't use loaf tins, we make all our bread (both sourdough and yeast) in the 'cob' shape, on flat baking sheets. I think that works better for sourdough. Here is one of yesterday's loaves, to give you an idea what it looks like:
Sourdough 12-02-19.jpg

But bear in mind that your starter culture will be different from ours - all starters are unique - and may behave differently. You need to experiment - and expect the occasional flop! Just keep it alive.
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 13 Feb 2019, 5:23pm

I believe the double rise method is to knock back the overlarge voids in sourdough and get a more even texture.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 15 Feb 2019, 12:18pm

does any on ehere use Barley Malt extract instead of sugar? seems to give a nicer taste.

deliquium

Postby deliquium » 23 Feb 2019, 10:40am

As I'm lazy and experimental, only bothered whacking a sourdough dough* into a tin after a brief knead and baked after just one rise.

Overestimated the 'prove' time somewhat as was expecting much longer than yeasted doughs. Went out for a ride to retrun and find a flop sided loaf begging to get into the oven after only 2 hours.

Next week I'll do the recommended twice proving and see if there's any appreciable difference.

* Starter 30/70 wholegrain rye/strong white + 50/50 wholemeal/white bread flours

Does sourdough bread require more salt than yeasted breads? The flavour in this loaf seems to require more - maybe to counteract the wonderful tanginess?

Click on image for larger version
Image Attachments
IMG_1857.jpg
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 23 Feb 2019, 12:13pm

That looks a pretty good effort: well done! I don't think sourdough needs more salt than yeast bread, it's mainly a matter of taste (though some salt is necessary to help with the rising). Experiment until you've got it right. I don't think the amount of salt you put in bread will harm you, assuming you aren't on a low-salt regime for medical reasons. We use about one rounded teaspoon - two level teaspoons - per Kg flour.
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin