The perfect pub?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: The perfect pub?

Postby 661-Pete » 8 Feb 2016, 11:36am

Mick F wrote:
661-Pete wrote:........... the days of going out for a pint are long over.
Why?
It would take a whole forum in itself to explain, and this is not the place.

Although real ale is quite plentiful in our area (largely thanks to Harveys of Lewes), many local pubs have degenerated into binge-drinking outlets. You are better provided that we are...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 8 Feb 2016, 11:43am

Its quite clear what the favourite hobby of Gunnislake folk is! I wonder what the price of a pint is? :shock:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Heltor Chasca

The perfect pub?

Postby Heltor Chasca » 8 Feb 2016, 4:44pm

I don't know anyone anymore who 'goes down the pub'. I can't remember the last social foray I had in a pub. People I know seem to eat meals at each other's houses and share a few drinks. Even village days are subdued. It's not that we've become boring, but eating and drinking out and about has become prohibitive. I still have one child who costs £20 in babysitting fees if I want to go out. Family camping trips are probably the drinkiest!

EDIT: My local pubs are either rough as you like or dull as dishwater. I can cook better food for a fraction of the price and drink my own tipple much more cheaply. The company sucks too. I really don't get on with bar flies/drunks. If I want some waster to tell me the secret of a successful life whilst being an abject failure, I'll look in the mirror at myself thank you very much

With people like me around its no wonder pubs are doomed. And you blame the smoking ban?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 9 Feb 2016, 5:39pm

al_yrpal wrote:Its quite clear what the favourite hobby of Gunnislake folk is! I wonder what the price of a pint is? :shock:
I paid £3.10 each for my three pints yesterday at the Rising Sun.
Heltor Chasca wrote: .......... And you blame the smoking ban?
I don't blame the smoking ban, I blame people for not using and valuing the pubs. No wonder so many are closing.

Too many pubs are going out of business due to lack of custom. It just so happens that round here, we have a good social life and pubs fit in with it. Gunnislake village has three of them within 100yds, and two of them are directly across the road from each other. There's another pub just down the road, and two more up the hill. Next village (Calstock) has two pubs and a thriving social club. There's another pub in Chilsworthy. They are all busy most evenings.

Some folk don't have televisions you know! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 9 Feb 2016, 5:49pm

Around here a pint is £4+. We're subsidising Cornwall. :?

Off to Devon next weekend and apparently an appointment has been fixed up at my daughters local pub to grace them with a few songs. :cry:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Heltor Chasca

Postby Heltor Chasca » 9 Feb 2016, 6:12pm

Deckie

Postby Deckie » 10 Feb 2016, 9:47am

One of our locals (they're both 1 1/2 miles away in the nearest villages) closed in November, possibly the last death knell for the village? The land lords moved down from Kent five years ago when it was a busy & successful village pub, but had steadily run it down over the past few years and are now selling it as a house and building plot. They have had it on the market for the past few years to gather evidence that they can't sell as a going concern for planning purposes, but it is known they turned down more than one offer for the full asking price.

The other pub is doing very well with lots of community support.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Feb 2016, 10:11am

The best pub is a nice lakekand pub that's not become a caricature of a lakekand pub or a gastro pub charging southern prices for everything. There's still some around. However they can only be appreciated fully if you're staying within walking distance of the pub or come with one very handy kit...the sober partner/friend. Designated driver doesn't quite work because you know he/she is wanting a drink.

beardy

Postby beardy » 10 Feb 2016, 10:15am

Tangled Metal wrote:The best pub is a nice lakekand pub that's not become a caricature of a lakekand pub or a gastro pub charging southern prices for everything. There's still some around. However they can only be appreciated fully if you're staying within walking distance of the pub or come with one very handy kit...the sober partner/friend. Designated driver doesn't quite work because you know he/she is wanting a drink.

Oh dear.
I was about to say that the perfect pub had to be within cycling range.

pwa

Postby pwa » 10 Feb 2016, 10:56am

Let's not forget the Tan Hill Inn, high up on the crest of the Pennines. From a cycling point of view it has to be near perfect. Having cycled up from Arkengarthdale or Swaledale, or from the west, it is perfectly positioned to provide food, drink and shelter. Warm, friendly and loads of seating. Decent beer if you want it. Coffee or tea if you prefer. Lovely.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 10 Feb 2016, 11:16am

For the novelty value I did enjoy a recent visit to one of the country's smallest pubs, The Shed in Pewsey. Nicely kept beer, too.
GaSEitS.jpg
What you see is what you get.

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/ ... b/?ref=rss
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 10 Feb 2016, 11:28am

Old Dungeon Gyll - Langdale. Hikers bar near perfect after you have had a hard day on the fell.
http://www.odg.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... 00x400.jpg.
NUKe

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 10 Feb 2016, 12:01pm

No meals.

No kids.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 11 Feb 2016, 9:33pm

I've eaten food at ODG and I first went there as a kid. Don't like it though as the nearest pub to angle tarn it makes for an interesting night out when wild camping. Just Mickleden is not a.good walk when you've only just left the pub at 1am after an evening out.

Not sure of pubs within cycling range. Walking after a few but cycling? Would.you drive too? Bit risky IMHO,

Norman H

Postby Norman H » 11 Feb 2016, 11:39pm

The Square and Compass at Worth Matravers. Excellent beer, home brewed cider and delicious pasties.

What's not to like?