In/Out or On/Off?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

In/Out or On/Off?

Post by Mick F »

Recently, I've taken on a Santander bank account, and I have to log on and log off from their online banking.

Personally, I prefer IN and OUT from websites, not ON and OFF.

IN and OUT is normal ................................ but ON and OFF is weird. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Spinners

Re: In/Out or On/Off?

Post by Spinners »

I always prefer sign in / sign out.

I associate Login / Logout with work :|

It hasn't escaped my attention that the very site we are on is Login / Logout.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:IN and OUT is normal ................................ but ON and OFF is weird. :shock:

There are fetishes for anything these days mick.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry I couldn't resist that one :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I have no issue with "log on", "log off", "log in", "log out", "sign in", "sign out" as they are all means to an end. What I do tire of is the trend for certain sites to "keep me signed in" or "remember me on this computer" all weaknesses in security to some degree, predominantly social media tat. I also find googles/microsofts approach to having a sign in email type account with other sub email style accounts a pita. I have so many different accounts with user names and passwords that the excess of security makes you feel like a prisoner to the IT, spoiling the benefits.
My bank requests 5 different pieces of data just to login, then when an electronic payment is set up they request a further level of security involving emailing to request a code. What started as a great IT future( I started with just a name and password ) has become much more inconvenient because of cyber criminals/ hackers, I know how I'd deal with them when caught. Its an ever growing problem and a great shame that the positive aspects of technology and those amongst us who come up with ideas to improve our lives are offset by the growing band of those who cannot stand creativity/progress and seek to destroy it whether for fun or financial gain.

Oh I forgot the other point. I feel that websites should make the login or logout button large. Its the main function to take you in and out of the site and should be easy to see in a clear position on the page. Again many sites hide the function away as if they don't want you to sign out.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Mick F wrote:Recently, I've taken on a Santander bank account, and I have to log on and log off from their online banking.

Personally, I prefer IN and OUT from websites, not ON and OFF.

IN and OUT is normal ................................ but ON and OFF is weird. :shock:

It's a 'mainframe' legacy thing. Back in the beginning of time (well not quite, after the time when security just meant who was allowed to physically be in the same room as the machine and who was allowed to punch cards for them), you had to log on to the big box in the datacenter (sic) to perform operational/programming tasks and log off afterwards. Logging in and out (of an application running on the big box) came later. Logging in and out became the norm for those whose first access was via these applications and accepted phraseology for secure sign-on to distributed processors. Nowadays of course, few will be aware (there's generally no need) what is physically running the applications they use and logging In and Out makes more sense. Of course I Log On to my laptop in order to Log In to the applications, but that's just 'cos I'm an old-timer.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hokey Cokey for me :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rich.hr6

Post by rich.hr6 »

Just a thought.........................

How long before it ends up on a headstone?!?

logged off this mortal coil

logged out of life

.......... there's bound to be one sooner or later!!!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Surely, you go INTO a website, and not ONTO one?

I may log ON to my computer account, but I go INTO the world wide web.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:Surely, you go INTO a website, and not ONTO one?

Not according to swmbo. When I'm at hers and bored and staring at the phone (usually when she's watching some stupid dress the bride up programme) she'll look across and say to me, "I spose you're on that bike forum again?"
I reply "Why yes I am sweety pie."
She'll reply, "Boring old fa*t".
I retaliate by blowing her a raspberry :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Vantage wrote:

Not according to swmbo. When I'm at hers and bored and staring at the phone (usually when she's watching some stupid dress the bride up programme) she'll look across and say to me, "I spose you're on that bike forum again?"
I reply "Why yes I am sweety pie."
She'll reply, "Boring old fa*t".
I retaliate by blowing her a raspberry :mrgreen:

Domestic bliss UK style. I like it. :mrgreen:
drossall

Post by drossall »

It's not the same thing, though some, including the BBC of all people, have muddled it.

You do not log in to a Web site such as, for example, the BBC site. It's not necessary. You're just fetching a sequence of pages, and you don't really need to establish a lasting session for that. By contrast, on a forum, you're expecting still to be Mick F on the next page and the one after that, so you need to maintain a session between pages.

So you go into the Web, as you say, then, on some sites, including the CTC forum, you may choose to log in/on. You may then choose to log off/out again, but that doesn't mean leaving the site - you can carry on using it. Or, you can leave the site, but not log off/out.

People who say "To get more information, log onto our Web site" are talking nonsense, unless it's something like a member-only site where you have to identify yourself before being able to use the site.

Of course, it doesn't matter that much, until you're telling someone who thinks that he has already logged on that he needs to, er, log on. It seems to me that one of the reasons that "Sign in" has become popular is that the BBC and others have misused "log on" to mean just "visit", so a new term was needed.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Reminds me of a George Carlin joke which will likely be way too vulgar for most people on this forum. You have been warned: https://youtu.be/vdPy5Ikn7dw?t=3m6s