Boris Johnson?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Boris Johnson?

Post by Mick F »

To be a good leader, you need to have the charisma to lead.
You don't have to do anything, just have knowledge and opinions ............ and lead your followers

A leader should use all his team to do the work, and he/she should just be a figure-head and a Front Man.

BJ is a good Front Man and his followers will follow him.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

… and Boris did. Remember he actually got re elected for a second term as London Mayor leaving red Ken in the dust. He now has a lot of experience as a leader.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Oftentimes(well,sometimes),I don't know what I'm talking about. My last faux pas was commenting on the placement of Costa Coffee call-in joint in a multi-plex shopping park consisting of McD,TK Maxx,Sport Direct and the like. "Who on earth is gonna have a coffee there?" says I(thinking it's gonna close within months)" No one's gonna want a coffee in a car park right out of town". Wrong. It's still there some 2.5 years later and(so I am told)is there most profitable coffee joint.

Seeing and listening to BJ I just cannot believe anyone would vote for the duffer. Howsoever,how wrong can I be! "This housing bubble can't go on forever,those prices are gonna collapse!" House prices continue to rise. I've been 50 years in the wrong :?

Still can't make BJ out tho. I give him 10/10 for chutzpah. Nothing else I can see there,tho.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:This is about Boris, lets hear what people have to say about his abilities rather than just slinging mud at Tories mates and Etonians because thats just an excuse for having no arguments.

If you don't like the truth it's not my fault!

As for Labour, members and their £3 friends elected someone unelectable as PM to be leader shifting far to the left. If they retain the current election system it will happen again and again, so my view is that they will get trounced in the next General Election at least. If you want to call me a prophet be my guest :mrgreen:

Al

I could argue about an antiquated election system that's loaded and not democratic in the least bit,but that's for another thread.
A prophecy needs to come true to be such.
False prophets were stoned to death in biblical times,but we live in more enlightened times,so think yourself lucky if your prophecy doesn't come true :wink: .

IMHO the country is being governed by salesmen(of which BoJo is one),otherwise known as weasels, backed up by multinational companies and the media owned by a very few multi millionaire if not billionaire moguls,all of whom are as far removed from real live as the man in the moon.
The salesmen have to keep on these weasel trainer's best side for their favours come election time.

One hopes there'll come a time when the people will see through the sickliness of it,time will tell.

PS,I don't believe Corbyn will be trained or is a weasel.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Maybe Corbyn isn't a weasel, but he wants to invite the entire third world to these isles, which will further reduce the living standards of those at the lowest rungs of society.

How will this affect competition for jobs and public infrastructure? Where will all the benefits for illiterate immigrants, their wives, extended family and many children come from? Where will housing for these people come from and will this negatively affect young Brits looking to rent or buy their first home? Have you ever considering the consequences of acting on your ideology or are you just content with the morally superior feeling it gives you (I don't notice those on the right resorting to these names as readily as those on the left).

Why ask hard questions that challenge the validity of your ideological viewpoint, when you can just point at more prudent people, who don't want a race to the bottom, and call them weasels and such.

As much as you suggest the Tories are in the pocket of big business, nothing would cause wages to stagnate, living standards to drop and social problems to rise more than what Corbyn has in mind for this country, which is a product of blind ideology, rather than realistic pragmatism.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Freddie wrote:... or is everyone to the right of Jeremy Corbyn considered right wing?

Is there anyone alive in this country who isn't to the right of Jeremy Corbyn? Is that technically possible within the definition of politics?
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Al asked in an earlier post what Londoners think about Boris -well, I'm a Londoner born and bred and I cannot abide Boris. I have no time for him at all, not a single second and I shall rejoice in May when he's no longer mayor.

People get taken in by Boris because they think he's "funny" ( he's not) and are misled into thinking he's an idiot, or a buffoon. He isn't, he's a skilled politician who is out for Boris and Boris only and he puts on a good act. I cringe when I see the Tory faithful fawning all over him. He cares nothing for London,he's just used being mayor as a stepping stone for higher things. I cannot think of any useful thing he's done for London, although he's happy to appear at events and take the credit for anything high profile he can put his name to like the Boris Bikes which were originally propsed by Ken Livingstone. He's protected his high earning City friends, while ignoring the fact that living in London is becoming ever harder for those on a low wage.

As for the ridiculous "garden bridge" and the stupid idea that is "Boris Island", well, don't get me started! I don't particularly care for David Cameron or George Osborne but give me either of them over Boris as PM any day!

Jan

One further thing - he got a second term as mayor as the Labour party made a real mistake choosing Ken Livingstone, a hugely devisive figure as their candidate. Virtually anyone else would have got in over Boris
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

reohn2 wrote:That said don't every underestimate these sinister weasels,they'd cut you to little pieces if it earned them a tanner!
The right wing have only the interest of themselves at heart(that's if they have a heart),money doesn't talk for these people it screams red faced abuse and non more so than at the poorest and powerless within society.

I can quite agree with your opinions upon the 'right wing'. Their interests involve nothing more than greed and self interest. What you forget to mention is their opposite numbers on the 'left wing'. Their interests are in personal power and control of others. I can understand self interest and greed. They are as unfortunately human and natural in humans as they are in a chimp colony. OTOH, I find the left wing lust for control and power above anything entirely unnatural and perverted, and far more evil than ever anything on the right. At least those right wing weasels realise that you have to look after the sheep a little to get the best price at market. The left wing weasels will starve the sheep to death just to revel in their power over them.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Lets face facts the Labour Party is out of office for at least another 9 years so we had better get the best possible leader who has to be chosen from the ranks of the Tories.

Al

So you're a prophet now,or did you consult the stars :roll:

Tory Blair.
Labour still hark on at working people but behaved like capitalist, building a utopia of state employed mates.

Many left labour supporters did not like the new labour so did nothing or worse voted another party.
All post labour main politicians said their predecessors got it wrong, now they say that.

Labour is lost for a long time and you labour supporters need to get real, he's not the one to lead them back.
Nine years is optimistic I.M.O.

A more realistic leader who is less old school and less (all politicians do this) constantly critical of all opposition would be a threat.

I give corby points for his patience but his policy and actions will destroy him any any future labour.

I even see a new party that is not called Labour coming about, but beware keeping the old wood.

I am not saying Tories have all the answers, I am least impressed with Cam's work so far in his handling of his Pro European union stance.

Boris........well he is higher cast for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

tyreon wrote:From the comments above I'm not getting anyone whose saying I've got it wrong! I just wondered. I just don't see anything of any brilliance in the man,just mumbling bumbling and shuffling. Of course he might be a brilliant mathematician or accountant,but it just appears as if he's a clownish front man(no offence meant). I just wondered why and how he got to the top. I'm sorry to say I don't even find him even funny. I don't really want to go off topic(but here goes!),but I used to think Jacob Rees-Mogg was a screw-ball,an oddity...but I've seen him on a few things and have now taken a bit-of-a-liking to him;can laugh at himself,some valid points,and the scoring against David Dimbelby on QT was crackerjack! He might appear out-o-touch(and which I now don't believe)but,hey!,there's a brain in there, unlike BJ.

Still can't work it out how BJ is where he is???

Do others think he would be paid £500k for his Telegraph column? Or spin?
It's all part of his political act - that's why he is where he is; it's a front, and he can say and do unpopular things eg upset London taxi drivers. Although he may appear to be one, I think underlying that, is that he doesn't tolerate fools gladly.
Think of a cycling politician; Jeremy Corbyn?? - well what's he done for cycling? Cameron? - well not much other than rhetoric; Andrew Mitchell? Ha! Boris Johnson - well he's tried to implement more for cycling than any other politician, and against opposition as well. He's received criticism from some cyclists and opposition from the anti cycling brigade but, of course, has his name to Boris Bikes. :wink: Admittedly Ken Livingstone and the previous organisation and TfL should have some credit, as well, but it's Boris who hits the limelight as he is the leader. Now who's the minister for cycling?? Thinks! Robert Goodall - he's done err.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

jan19 wrote:...He isn't, he's a skilled politician who is out for Boris and Boris only and he puts on a good act. I cringe when I see the Tory faithful fawning all over him....

I find it interesting at the moment as we now know which Conservatives are for staying part of the EU and which are for leaving ... except for Boris. By not saying he is keeping the press attention on him with all the :will he/wont he". Undoubtedly Boris knows where he stands on UK leaving the EU but by making us wait to find out (apparently we have to wait another 24 hours) he keeps himself the focus of a lot of attention.

Had he announced his intention at the same time as the cabinet ministers he would have been "just another" and probably played 2nd (or lower) fiddle to Gove/Cameron/Osborne/whoever. But when he's had all the attention he can squeeze out of the press, he will make an announcement (undoubtedly to be broadcast on TV) and all the press will be thrusting microphones in front of him instead of in front of somebody more senior than him in the Conservative party.

Using it all as a crutch for his ego.

Ian
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

I find it interesting at the moment as we now know which Conservatives are for staying part of the EU and which are for leaving ... except for Boris. By not saying he is keeping the press attention on him with all the :will he/wont he". Undoubtedly Boris knows where he stands on UK leaving the EU

I think that is a very shrewd observation.
Interesting and speaks volumes about the man.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

As Mayor of London, Boris needs to be pro -EU. The City is very pro, and London generally so. However, Boris won't be mayor (thank goodness) in June, so he's free to make his own decision. I agree with Ian, he'll make whatever choice is best to give Boris the highest prominence. Leader of the Brexit group, or Cameron's greatest supporter - whichever group he thinks is likeliest to win will get his support.

Jan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a poll that came out last week about the personal influence different politicians have on the swing voters on the EU in/out. Top of this list is Cameron, second is Boris. The poll gives the best chance for Cameron is campaigning with Boris Johnson. Apparently BJ appeals to people Cameron doesn't.

BTW Corbyn's rated among the lowest of prominent politicians. Not much better than Gove! He's not exactly people's favorite.

If this poll is right you have a politician that is liked and regarded by people. And make no doubt about it, BJ is very clever. He's not as his public persona would imply. He's got a populist style.

How many recall his speech in front of his house after a very public infidelity? Not many I bet. That's a sign he's a good politician IMHO. Imagine if Cameron was caught out with his pants round his ankles with a Tory party intern. He'd be dead in the water. Boris did something like that but later defeated red Ken twice to win and hold the mayoral position in London.

Personally I'd not want him as pm. He's just not a politician I'd like leading our country and one of the nation's representatives that the rest of the world see. I bet some felt like that with George W. Bush. A clown is not a good look as your pm or president.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I must read a book on the Johnson family...tho' I expect I'll break this promise! I don't know where they came from(yeah,I've heard the Russian connection),or how they got their money. Brains?? I guess they must have something.

I see his sister(who seems to be able to string a sentence together better than BJ). She took over The Lady. At The Lady sales were falling and they were looking for a new editor/manager. Mmmmmm. The idea was that RJ was going to bring in new ideas and suchlike to TL...by 'sexing-it-up', by making it more contemporary. This for a magazine whose youngest age is 80+(ok,bit of an exaggeration). She left later,sales down. I don't know who was more responsible for the suicide act,RJ or The Lady's owner. I cooda dun better!

I guess this family has good network of people in High Places,can't see anything else. Cojones and front: good for leading people as like into the Valley of Death,Charge of the Light Brigade and all that.

I wonder if the people of China or Japan see him as some gifted Occidental...or him/us as finally-leaving-the-planet for electing him. Remember the football/Ping-Pong episode?

A very strange man. Alongside Donald Trump I s'pose we're getting our entertainment value