My New Bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hondated

Re: My New Bike

Post by hondated »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:It's not that the STI brakes levers and the Tektro DP brakes aren't good, because they are. It's the shape of the levers that isn't so good.
Just done some comparisons and measuring.

It's not the shape ............... it's where the pivot is.

On an Ergo, measuring from where my hand rests on the hood, the pivot is 3cm below.
On an STI, it's 4cm.
Only 1cm, but it's an increase of 30%. :shock:

The levers are the same length at 10cm, so the mechanical efficiency is the same when braking on the drops.
It's when braking on the hoods that make the difference.

Congratulations Mick it looks a great bike and I love the colour as well.
Is that the Mercian I can hear quietly weeping in the corner. Dont forget she/he will need to be given a treat of a ride out now and then.
Dafydd17

Post by Dafydd17 »

reohn2 wrote:
If ?????????? means I can't have an opinion on the matter because I've not used Campag Ergos I beg to differ.

I wouldn't dream of saying you can't have an opinion on the matter; my query referred to the IME, which I think means "in my experience".
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Oh Mick F you've given me the serious I wants :mrgreen:

Could you possibly run a tape along the virtual top tube length please? A quick Google brings up some different measurements. Also, if you wouldn't mind, what's the vertical height from the floor to the top of the head tube? Is it a 1" steerer? Thanks in advance :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dafydd17 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
If ?????????? means I can't have an opinion on the matter because I've not used Campag Ergos I beg to differ.

I wouldn't dream of saying you can't have an opinion on the matter; my query referred to the IME, which I think means "in my experience".

IME referred to my experience with STI's,I thought I made it clear in the following sentence that I'd had no experience of Campag Ergo's
Pedantic or what? :?

PS,I'd really like to put this silliness to bed now if we could,it has no relevance to the thread's subject.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
barrym

Post by barrym »

Mick F wrote:
The only way to get up to 115" is to fit a bigger chainwheel with the 11t .............. but it would need a 70t chainring! :shock:
Other option is to get a Capreo hub. They go down to 9t so I could get away with only 56t maybe.

How about a Schlumpf? Isn't that just what they are designed for? Think I've seen them mentioned on Moultons.

Never mind the cost, you can't put a value on getting it right[WINKING FACE]
--
Cheers
Barry
hercule

Post by hercule »

Congratulations on the TSR. Moultons are fantastic bikes IMHO but there are some strange people who can't see that :mrgreen:

On my AM the biggest chainring I can fit is 62T. It's got 17" wheels so I suspect it unlikely you'll be able to fit a bigger ring to a 20" wheel machine. The bikes also handle very well loaded up, I can confirm after taking mine to Spain many years ago.

Moultons do have some oddities in design, whilst you can spend eye watering amounts for some of the New Series bikes I reckon that the current TSR are the best value and best designed of the lot. You have the tried and tested separable spaceframe (I can't imagine why anyone would buy the fixed frame version) along with reliable and robust low maintenance suspension front and rear with a wheelsize that's got a good availability of quality tyres - the 17" size on my AM is only used on Moulton machines now, AFAIK.

I quit fancy a TSR 27 or a TSR 8 to complement my AM and two 60s F-frames but so far have managed to resist temptation... I'm saving up Tesco Clubcard points to get one from Evans!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

georgew wrote:I just don't understand it really...I mean you are getting on a bit and it seems obvious that you should be buying the TSR27 with it's wide gear range and very low bottom gear...it's puzzling. :shock:

The TSR27 is a flat 'bar bike.
http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models/TSR27.html
I want a dropped 'bar bike. I couldn't cope with flat 'bars for an all-day ride.

georgew wrote: .............it's a shock when you take a conventional bike over the same course. As an old Geezer I have to say I love my TSR27 which shares the same frame with your bike and only wish I had known of its qualities when I was touring. I would love to know how it behaves when loaded so perhaps we could have a report sometime in the future.
I intend riding ONLY the Moulton for maybe 500miles, and then I'll go back to Mercian to see how it feels. Two or three months?

I've said it many many times before, the Mercian isn't harsh or hard. It's a nice springy ride with little or no road buzz.
I must say, that today I rode the Moulton on a road I've ridden on numerous times, and one part is a fast long descent. The Moulton suspension is good at slower speeds, but it doesn't absorb the high frequency "buzz" as much as you would think.

My Mercian is better at 25mph+ than the Moulton as far as I can tell at this moment.
Early days yet, and I'll no doubt be more authoritative in my conclusions.
hercule wrote:Congratulations on the TSR. Moultons are fantastic bikes IMHO but there are some strange people who can't see that :mrgreen:

On my AM the biggest chainring I can fit is 62T.
Thanks! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

deliquium wrote:Could you possibly run a tape along the virtual top tube length please? A quick Google brings up some different measurements. Also, if you wouldn't mind, what's the vertical height from the floor to the top of the head tube? Is it a 1" steerer? Thanks in advance :D
Hang on a sec, I'll be back to this shortly.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

barrym wrote:How about a Schlumpf?
Rohloff is the way ahead.
http://fudgescyclestore.com/product/mou ... e_complete

........... but it has flat 'bars.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:
deliquium wrote:Could you possibly run a tape along the virtual top tube length please? A quick Google brings up some different measurements. Also, if you wouldn't mind, what's the vertical height from the floor to the top of the head tube? Is it a 1" steerer? Thanks in advance :D
Poured myself another glass of red ...........

Measuring, I find the following results.

Head tube to floor is 81cm - centre of the headset.
Seat tube to floor is 72cm - top of steel and not counting carbon seatpost.

As you can see the two heights are different, but measuring horizontally from the top of the head tube to part way up the carbon seatpost is 54cm centre to centre.

Yes, it's a 1" steerer.
Mick F. Cornwall
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Poured myself another glass of red ...........

Measuring, I find the following results.

Head tube to floor is 81cm - centre of the headset.
Seat tube to floor is 72cm - top of steel and not counting carbon seatpost.

As you can see the two heights are different, but measuring horizontally from the top of the head tube to part way up the carbon seatpost is 54cm centre to centre.

Yes, it's a 1" steerer.

Thanks Mick F :D Surprisingly short top tube :o
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Mick F wrote:I must say, that today I rode the Moulton on a road I've ridden on numerous times, and one part is a fast long descent. The Moulton suspension is good at slower speeds, but it doesn't absorb the high frequency "buzz" as much as you would think.
That's the point of the tyres. They don't favour being pumped up rock hard like 23mm tyres and should have a fair bit of drop (15%) when you're seated on the bicycle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:Thanks Mick F :D Surprisingly short top tube :o

Small wheels,no toe overlap :mrgreen: ,but I'd need a long stem :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

deliquium wrote:........ Surprisingly short top tube :o
Just checked again, and it's correct.
Mercian is 56cm, so I agree, it's short.
Freddie wrote:
Mick F wrote:I must say, that today I rode the Moulton on a road I've ridden on numerous times, and one part is a fast long descent. The Moulton suspension is good at slower speeds, but it doesn't absorb the high frequency "buzz" as much as you would think.
That's the point of the tyres. They don't favour being pumped up rock hard like 23mm tyres and should have a fair bit of drop (15%) when you're seated on the bicycle.
The tyres are supposed to be inflated to 85 to 115 psi Schwalbe Durano 28mm.
I've done them to 100psi rear and (only) 80psi front.

Mercian is 120psi rear and 80ish psi front at 23mm.
Mick F. Cornwall
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Ah, I thought they were the 37mm tyres. I suppose with 28mm tyres on wheels that small (and the short wheelbase) you will get road buzz, even with suspension.