My New Bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hercule

Re: My New Bike

Post by hercule »

Yes, it was minute, incremental changes over the years to get to the point where I thought "this is right!" Actually, thinking about it now, 10 years to perfection is probably an underestimate :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hercule wrote:Yes, it was minute, incremental changes over the years to get to the point where I thought "this is right!" Actually, thinking about it now, 10 years to perfection is probably an underestimate :D

I can't afford that amount of dedication to reach happiness.
That said I've been married for 40 years so I can go the distance :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:If I was spending that much I would want options before parting with any money.
I've given this subject much thought ...................

I could have bought a bare frame, and spent a deal of time building it up.
Would I have got it right first (or second) (or third) time?
I doubt it very much.

Main issue now, is the top gear isn't high enough. To rectify that, I would need a 10t small cog and different chainrings. This is an expensive option I'm not willing to go for, so I'll stick at what I've got.

At least by buying a Moulton off the self, it can be ridden immediately. Until you ride one of these hyper-idiosyncratic bikes, you don't know much at all.

I have built bikes from bare frames before - not least Mercian - but they were "normal" bikes and I knew what I would need from experience. Yes, I could have asked Moultoneers for advice, but that's all it would be, advice. They are not me, don't ride like me, and they don't cycle round here either.

I have no regrets at all. I love it to bits. :D
Mick F. Cornwall