My New Bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: My New Bike

Postby reohn2 » 3 Mar 2016, 1:25pm

Mick F wrote:Perhaps you've not compared the brake levers to Campag?
It's not that the STI brakes levers and the Tektro DP brakes aren't good, because they are. It's the shape of the levers that isn't so good.

Never used Campag,but never found STI's a problem with DP's,maybe Campag's are better.

The LH STI seems as though there's a lack of lube inside it. It's rough-ish. Maybe it'll wear in.
The RH STI feels a bit better, but I reckon the rear mech return spring isn't strong enough. Tiagra model.
It's perfectly indexed, but every so often going to smaller cogs, nothing happens, so I click again, and it goes two cogs! Coming back up it's fine. Again, it may wear in.

It does sound like something's binding,cables need lubing maybe?
My long time use of STI's has always been positive,with slick faultless changes and extremely good service life.
I've yet to break one.
I've never had the problems you describe with a front one,and the only time I've had problems with rear ones were a broke cable strand in the STI next to the nipple,which gave all kinds of weirdness until I found it.A frozen solid cable in the short outer near the rear mech,resulting in a one gear problem,and a lack of lube in the STI which was solved by flooding the unit with lube.

I know it shouldn't happen with a new bike but,things sometimes aren't spot on due to lack of PDI or similar,or even bad cable routing.

I've no real figures, but it seems to me to be 72deg parallel. Wheelbase is 105cm (just measured it for you)

Thanks for that :)

On the subject of STI, I like the red indicator needles, but why oh why are they the wrong way round?
Why, when the front or rear mech moves right, the needle goes left! :lol:

Never liked them on STI's,very plasticy and vulnerable IMO,if folks don't know what gear they're in they can look down for a second :)
As for the frack to bunt-ness :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Mar 2016, 1:41pm

Thanks R2, I'll have a check and a fiddle. It doesn't feel like the cable, it feels "internal" to the STI, but I'll have a fettle. Also I'll have a fettle with the rear mech system.

Geometry:
Just dug out my protractor thingy that goes with my set square. It has a sprit level in it and you rotate the inner section to align the bubble.
Not deadly accurate, but good enough to the degree.

I checked my Mercian which I know is 73deg, and it came out as 73deg ............ so that works! :D

Did it the Moulton and found 71deg.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Mar 2016, 1:50pm

Mick F wrote:Thanks R2, I'll have a check and a fiddle. It doesn't feel like the cable, it feels "internal" to the STI, but I'll have a fettle. Also I'll have a fettle with the rear mech system.
It's surprising what a bit of lube can achieve :wink:

Geometry:
Just dug out my protractor thingy that goes with my set square. It has a sprit level in it and you rotate the inner section to align the bubble.
Not deadly accurate, but good enough to the degree.

I checked my Mercian which I know is 73deg, and it came out as 73deg ............ so that works! :D

Did it the Moulton and found 71deg.

Thanks again,71 is a nice figure IMHO,i'd even be able to get a brooks in a decent position on a 71deg seatube :)
71 head angle with the Moulton fork offset would be nice and relaxed too I'd have thought.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Mar 2016, 2:11pm

Hi,
More bragging on the overmuscled thighs brushing the bottles. :mrgreen:
That chainring looks massive, or the frame is small, but I suppose against 12" wheels may be not that big.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Mar 2016, 2:13pm

Whats it name Mick - the Scaffold? :lol:

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Mar 2016, 2:19pm

Yes, I had a go at "no hands" earlier when out on my second test ride. :D
Mercian is difficult to ride "no hands". It's ok, but I have to sit and lean way back. 73deg and a twitchy steering is the problem.
Moulton was easy.

If I'm bored later, I may measure fork offset.
I think I can do it with bits of string and a ruler. :lol:

Are you thinking of getting one?
Fudges Cycles were very helpful and knowledgable. I was chatting via email to Andrew. andrew@fudgescyclestore.com
http://fudgescyclestore.com

You can pay ANYTHING for a Moulton. Mine was cheap.

If that bottle was an inch lower, there wouldn't be a problem. It's not much of a problem mind you. I'm not knocking my "over muscled thighs" on it! :lol:

Name?
For nearly thirty years, my Mercian has been known as Bike.
I suppose the Moulton should be known as Bike2 ........... or I might call it The Moulton.

Boring eh? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 3 Mar 2016, 4:17pm

You could call it Alex!?

pete75

Postby pete75 » 3 Mar 2016, 4:27pm

reohn2 wrote:Never used Campag,but never found STI's a problem with DP's,maybe Campag's are better.

As any fule kno everything Campag is better . :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Mar 2016, 4:30pm

Mick F wrote:Yes, I had a go at "no hands" earlier when out on my second test ride. :D
Mercian is difficult to ride "no hands". It's ok, but I have to sit and lean way back. 73deg and a twitchy steering is the problem.
Moulton was easy.

If I'm bored later, I may measure fork offset.
I think I can do it with bits of string and a ruler. :lol:

Are you thinking of getting one?
Fudges Cycles were very helpful and knowledgable. I was chatting via email to Andrew. andrew@fudgescyclestore.com
http://fudgescyclestore.com

No I don't think I'd be a convert,though I like to try one for few days for the experience,which if positive enough could possibly change my mind,though I doubt it.I'm intrigued to here of you comparisons after a few weeks though :)
You can pay ANYTHING for a Moulton. Mine was cheap.

No Mick,yours was cheap for a Moulton cheap is <£500 £2k ain't cheap my good man :wink: .

If that bottle was an inch lower, there wouldn't be a problem. It's not much of a problem mind you. I'm not knocking my "over muscled thighs" on it! :lol:

I'm sure you could move it further down the s/tube with a neat bracket on the existing brazeons.
Name?
For nearly thirty years, my Mercian has been known as Bike.
I suppose the Moulton should be known as Bike2 ........... or I might call it The Moulton.

Boring eh? :wink:

You could call it Lilly(the pink*) Scafold :wink:

*pink is only a lighter shade of red :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Mar 2016, 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Mar 2016, 4:31pm

pete75 wrote:As any fule kno everything Campag is better . :wink:

Any fule kno Shimano is cheaper,work just as well,and spares are more readily available :mrgreen:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Mar 2016, 4:35pm

Mick
Just looked at the photos again and can see you can't move the cage :?

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 3 Mar 2016, 4:40pm

Congrats on your lovely new bike Mick, (I'm turning a bit green!).
Hope you have many many happy miles on it.
But to say it was cheap is surely doing it a bit of a dis-service (?- brain-fade here).
If I ever get another bike it would only ever be a Moulton, but Rohloff maybe. :wink:
fausto.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 3 Mar 2016, 4:41pm

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:As any fule kno everything Campag is better . :wink:

Any fule kno Shimano is cheaper,work just as well,and spares are more readily available :mrgreen:

Are you sure about the spares? You can get the bits to repair Ergos not sure if the same is available for STI.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Mar 2016, 4:56pm

pete75 wrote:Are you sure about the spares? You can get the bits to repair Ergos not sure if the same is available for STI.

That's because they don't break* like Campag do :wink:

*well anything up to and including 9sp don't :)

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » 3 Mar 2016, 7:40pm

Mick F

That is a lovely bike....As has been said 'Classy'......

I'm just being good old fashioned nosey here, I have nowt better to do (wife watching Eastenders)...It can't have been an impulse buy, I guess you weighed up the 'Ying and the Yang' ...So, did you consider IGH or were you always going wilh 30 speed ? The reason that I ask is that I always think that splitters/folders lend themselves towards IGH....(quite possibly not your cuppa tea)

What a really nice bike.....Enjoy Sir !!..... :)