Identify please (insects)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hopefully some of you entomologists and lepidopterists out there can identify these for me, please:

0607-05 Moth & butterfly.jpg

0607-08 Red beetles.jpg

0607-09 Dragonfly.jpg

I think the first one is of a Cinnabar moth, but no idea of the butterfly above it.
Red beetles for the next one?
And some type of Hawker for the third?

Just trying to catalogue some of my photos, so would be nice to name them correctly.
Incidentally all taken some years back at Barnack Hills & Holes reserve in Cambridgeshire.
Thanks, fausto.
Heltor Chasca

Re: Identify please (insects)

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Small skipper, 6 spot burnet, common red soldier beetle and common darter.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Let me know what field guides you need and I'll make recommendations. Nice photos.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

BTW good you thought the skipper was a 'butterfly'. Easily mistaken as a 'moth'. All from last year or before [emoji6]
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Let me know what field guides you need and I'll make recommendations. Nice photos.

I can thoroughly recommend this one.
:)
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Tacascarow wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Let me know what field guides you need and I'll make recommendations. Nice photos.

I can thoroughly recommend this one.
:)

Richard Lewington is a legend. This book is on my wish list. I got into bombus 2 years ago and I'm addicted...b
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Just out of interest, here is something you won't see on your travels in the UK, nor anywhere in Europe: I snapped this in Indonesia a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_9707_Junonia_orithya.jpg

Lots and lots of spectacular butterflies to observe, but most of them just wouldn't stay still long enough to be photographed :( - and I have little skill as a wildlife photographer. But luckily this one found something tasty to lick off a discarded plastic spoon.

I think I've identified it correctly as Junonia orithya - the Blue Pansy - one of the Nymphalidae and not-too-distantly related to our own familiar Small Tortoiseshell, judging by wing patterns. Quite a beauty I think you'll agree.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I agree on the beauty!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

When I was in my old job I had ordered a book from amazon. Anyway the book arrived at work as I was chatting to a work colleague. He said "oh you've bought a book" as it sat in it's brown card sleeve. "Yes I said", he said "oh what is it" expectantly......... "Its a wildflower guide" I said. He physically stepped back from me as if I had suddenly turned into larry grayson :D . Couldn't believe his reaction.

Anyway it's a very good book. I find using this with some of the collins photo style book is useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wild-Flower-Revised-Edition/dp/0723251754

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=collins+wildlife+books&sprefix=collins+wildlife+%2Cstripbooks%2C204

On a wildlife aside, I collected my rescued hedgehog from the sanctuary today. In fact I got two for the price of one..... apparently a man did not wish his back as he does not like them :roll: . I have released them into my garden with food and water plus their box until they are settled. But the only took 5 minutes to be out and about. Neighbour was happy to have some hedgehogs but not to have a small cutout in the fence for their mobility as she said it might let mice into her garden? What world do people live in, they clearly don't see the activity in their garden at night.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Don't mock!
If she has a mouse proof fence she's siting behind a fortune :lol:
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I think her stance is probably just that letting those woodmice in will take job's from the woodmice in her garden and their children will starve. I can see from my upstairs window woodmice in dinghys crossing the 4ft wide stream just to get to our gardens. Pretty extreme behaviour on their part. It's a terrible situation that the government is blind to.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks for the info chaps. I knew you'd know!

So, without googling further, the small skipper is a moth is it?

Ta, fc.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

fausto copy wrote:Thanks for the info chaps. I knew you'd know!

So, without googling further, the small skipper is a moth is it?

Ta, fc.

No a butterfly often mistaken for a moth...b