Trolls do the exist on this forum?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Trolls do the exist on this forum?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
661-Pete wrote:Oh dear oh dear oh dear! Ho hum......

Philip, do you not realise that others here perceive that you have a chip on your shoulder so huge, it's a wonder you're able to balance on two wheels! :)

Avery good example or personal comments .........attack the question not the INDIVIDUAL :twisted: :!:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
al_yrpal

Re: Trolls, do they exist on this forum?

Post by al_yrpal »

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community ."

Trolls one remembers existed under the rickety rackety bridge in a fairy tale, they blocked the way ahead preventing progress.

There have been such people here. The same person under various guises from time to time I believe, but they now,seem to have disappeared. Just before the last election there was a lot of robust discussion that sometimes got slightly heated. This shouldnt be confused with trolling which to me is deliberate sowing of discord or unpleasant online intimidation of an individual. So, no, at the moment the forum is troll free. Lets keep it that way..

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 4 Apr 2016, 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I find it's easy to be misconstrued sometimes by people and then you see a haughty response. But once explained further it normally results in an "oh I see, sorry misread what you wrote". It's 2-dimensional, as Tangled-metal said a person outside of a forum was not a bad person. There is the lack of intonation as in a conversation, thats why I often use the emoji's to indicate I'm laughing or saying something tongue-in-cheek. They certainly aren't as many view childish tokens, I think they help try to put across the mood of the post. I know my views conflict with many but often opposite views raise ideas and thoughts that I/you may not have considered. The technical discussions are useful.

Philip Benstead wrote:I will not be carry a lump of wood on my shoulder at the agm, or may I should so everybody can identify me?.

I'd have thought everyone will recognise you immediately from the crimewatch style user-ID photo :lol: ...... then call the police :wink:
Heltor Chasca

Trolls do the exist on this forum?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Ok I'll put my had above the parapet:

Phillip I do think you do like to start some (to me) antagonistic threads. This one is a perfect example. What was the point of this one?

You do rub people up the wrong way because you open debate on difficult or controversial matters. But that's what open debate is about. I'm suspecting you may be a person who enjoys a bit of conflict, so if you choose to throw stones at wasps nests, make sure you can handle being stung. Don't complain when it happens.

English isn't my strong point so sometimes I have difficulty understanding your points of view. Most on here have English as their first language and are very eloquent with it. Some posts are a delight to read just because of the vocabulary and delivery. Slow up a bit maybe before you hit the send button.
Last edited by Heltor Chasca on 4 Apr 2016, 3:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I speak no other language than English splashed with a bit of Yorkshire and Scots. I too have great difficulty understanding PB [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Philip Benstead wrote:I will not be carry a lump of wood on my shoulder at the agm, or may I should so everybody can identify me?.

We're already on to you cunning plan

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104878
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Philip Benstead wrote:Do we have any trolls on this forum?

Don't worry: I'm standing on the bridge looking over the parapet waiting for 'em to stick their heads out ............ and Vorpal's sword is always sharp .........
No pasaran
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ncutler wrote:

Don't worry: I'm standing on the bridge looking over the parapet waiting for 'em to stick their heads out ............ and Vorpal's sword is always sharp .........

snicker snack
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bez

Post by Bez »

I can't help but admire the circularity in that post. Chapeau :)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vorpal wrote:
ncutler wrote:Don't worry: I'm standing on the bridge looking over the parapet waiting for 'em to stick their heads out ............ and Vorpal's sword is always sharp .........

snicker snack

(S)he left it dead, and with its head, (s)he went galumphing back.....

Not literally, I hope! :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:[emoji83]

In all seriousness I was trolled on eBay once. Unpleasant.

Eh? What form did it take?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
A very good example or personal comments .........attack the question not the INDIVIDUAL :twisted: :!:

Point taken - but I was commenting on the general attitude that the forum struck up. Anyway Philip seems OK with my remark - I hope! :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pete75 wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:[emoji83]

In all seriousness I was trolled on eBay once. Unpleasant.

Eh? What form did it take?

Simply? A 'watcher' approached me privately for a 'deal'. I wouldn't budge and he or she got difficult. I thought nothing of it until I received an email from the troll with my address on it. How they got it I don't know. A veiled 'I know where you live' type thing.

eBay were pretty good and filed all the details, I assume so they could assist the police if anything came to anything. eBay is a bit of a cesspit but I manage to sell a couple of things occasionally...EXCEPT my BMX [emoji34]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
ncutler wrote:Don't worry: I'm standing on the bridge looking over the parapet waiting for 'em to stick their heads out ............ and Vorpal's sword is always sharp .........

snicker snack

(S)he left it dead, and with its head, (s)he went galumphing back.....

Not literally, I hope! :shock:

Only virtually :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I do have a very developed sense of humor.

I found psamathe contribute both here and elsewhere has hit the nail on the head.

Given I have had an insight in the working of the council since 1990 either as observer or councillor or with close contact with severing Councillors, it very strange that some CTC member seem to think I am either lying, or deliberately misleading. If I make an error, I admit it. Please do not read any else into it.

I may sometime express myself poorly in the written form, sometime this may be to the use of a smartphone with predictive text creating error that I fail to notice. I am dyslexic so I am told.

At any meetings I attend I normally take a full and active part. Some fail to appreciates my contribution because I fundamentally disagree with them. So be it.

I do enjoy a good debate, some of my view can interpreted as very controversial to a point of being political incorrect. But I have not felt the need to air them here.

I am not a thin skin, I have a thick skin and broad shoulders. I do not want this forum to become like yacf where personal attack is very common for reason I fail to understand.

I want the CTC to be a community of like mind cyclists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgTvIg4eZWk
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 4 Apr 2016, 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic