Katie Hopkins: gullible upper class twit?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
53x13

Katie Hopkins: gullible upper class twit?

Post by 53x13 »

Katie is apparently 'outraged' at a snap online of road signs in Yorkshire with Arabic translations (an internet hoax).
Wishful, xenophobic thinking? And on the eve of an in/out EU referendum too. I bet she thought all her Christmasses had come at once! :lol:

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/katie-ho ... edition=uk
Attachments
CixCXs8WgAAU_3X.jpg
Last edited by 53x13 on 20 May 2016, 8:50am, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Re: Katie Hopkins: gullible upper class twit?

Post by meic »

Has somebody moved Yorkshire?
Yma o Hyd
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It's quite a clever bit of photoshopping, because the text on the original sign has been 'shrunk' so as to create space for the 'Arabic'. Here is the original, which is situated at Ravenscliffe just north of Bradford. Note the same white van in both pictures! This shows that the original was 'stolen' from Google Streetview, no doubt in flagrant breach of their copyright.

We have in this present technological age, arrived at a point where you cannot trust any photo you see, any more. Unless we revert to film and keep the negatives, that is. A lot more difficult to fake!

What was her motive? Pure racism or just an attempt to bolster the flagging brexit stuff?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

661-Pete wrote:
What was her motive? Pure racism or just an attempt to bolster the flagging brexit stuff?

Likely a bit of both. In the run up to the Scottish referendum last year there were several stunts similar.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Who is Katie Hopkins?
Never heard of her.

Ok ok, I'll Google her (if it is a her)

(later)
She's a columnist on the DM. :lol:
No wonder she's never been heard of.
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Mick F wrote:Who is Katie Hopkins?
Never heard of her.

Ok ok, I'll Google her (if it is a her)

(later)
She's a columnist on the DM. :lol:
No wonder she's never been heard of.

My thoughts exactly!
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

She might be a political no mark, but apparently she has quite a large following amongst the far right/hang em all nutters.
Used to be on the Apprentice, till Alan Sugar showed her the door. One of those 'famous for being infamous' types.

It does open that very ugly door to xenophobia and anti Muslim sentiment which seems to be brewing pre referendum in certain sections of the print media :roll:
broadway

Post by broadway »

53x13 wrote:Used to be on the Apprentice, till Alan Sugar showed her the door. One of those 'famous for being infamous' types.

She wasn't fired, but decided to leave in the penultimate task according to wikipedia.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

She's hardly upper class.

Anyway, even if this is a hoax, all kinds of government papers and forms are provided in upwards of 10 different foreign languages, not to mention translation services provided by the police, local councils, hospitals and others. This all comes out of British tax payers money. If you can't read or speak English, then it shouldn't be tax payers job to pay for that service for you. If you refuse to learn English to at least a functional level, then perhaps you should reside somewhere where they speak your language?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

For those who want a sort of clue, this was the individual who referred to refugees as 'cockroaches'.

It takes one.......
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've seen a couple of such doctored signs....
It rather weakens the "out" argument in my view, but it doesn't actually actually change the strength of their case...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I've long since chosen to avoid any kind of political campaigning of this kind spread through social media. Is Katie Hopkins gullible for believing it? Yes, but only as gullible as all the other people sharing whatever comes up in their newsfeed that confirms their existing opinions. Some people will uncritically share anything that is anti-EU, anti-Corbyn, anti-Tory etc... whatever confirms their existing prejudices. IMO class isn't a relevant factor.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

would have been better if the Arabic has been on top with the English underneath :lol: Katie would have gone mad :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Actually, I think it's not Arabic but Urdu. Does anyone here speak the language and can confirm?
At any rate, this is the Urdu for 'airport', according to google translate:

ہوائی اڈے
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I will add this, by way of mitigation. Whilst I have no time for the egregious Ms Hopkins as far as her political views go, and certainly her gutter-press remark about migrants was about as nasty as they come, we should bear in mind that she has recently undergone major and intrusive brain surgery in an effort to cure her severe epilepsy. The after-effects of this operation may possibly have led to her impaired judgement.

Enough said.