The Laws of Football

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

The Laws of Football

Post by 661-Pete »

OK, OK, I know full well as someone who doesn't really follow the 'beautiful game', not even when there's a major tournament going on, much of the complex body of Laws pertaining to that game are rather a mystery to me (especially the Offside rule).

But this is a new one on me. Perhaps someone with a bit more expertise can point us to the relevant clause in the Laws of Association Football? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: The Laws of Football

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Rooney used two hands from behind v wales and gave a free kick to let wales go 1-0.
Soon as it happened the presenter said maybe / that's what we need a dangerous Rooney......................1-0 down :?
They blamed the goalie for letting it in...........that's football.
Unless you saw the match there is NO mention anywhere at the unsportsman like play from Rooney.

Wonder if there ever would of been if that was the only goal scored in match.

Fouling all the time is atrocious and they call that what ****** game :?

Any other sport and you would probably be banned.

Its called sport and we know that means lots of footy reporting by the media...................sport its not but game played by school playground bullies.

Passing wind card...............snooker maybe but not on the pitch.....................

Well I used to watch England ONLY for the novelty.................things are changed...............now they got past knockout :?

How can in the world cup a team not paid for months and a mini population make everyone else look stupid........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

I thought the Swedish had more sense than that.
To say breaking wind is an act of provocation is just nonsense.
I hope his cards get rescinded.
Bizarre
gaz

Post by gaz »

Trail Beater wrote:To say breaking wind is an act of provocation is just nonsense.

[youtube]FWBUl7oT9sA[/youtube]
So it is :D .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Trail Beater

Post by Trail Beater »

gaz wrote:
Trail Beater wrote:To say breaking wind is an act of provocation is just nonsense.

[youtube]FWBUl7oT9sA[/youtube]
So it is :D .

:lol: :lol:
Brilliant.
Forgot about that sketch :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't follow football, or care much about it, but I do have a question.

If one team scores, why do they still try to score again?
All you need to do is win 1-0 for goodness sake!

If you don't let the other team get the ball, they can't score.
If you try to score again, the other team are bound to tackle and get the ball off you.
Why doesn't one member of the team sit on the ball and the rest of the team gather round and block the other team from getting at the ball?
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:I don't follow football, or care much about it, but I do have a question.
If you try to score again, the other team are bound to tackle and get the ball off you.
Why doesn't one member of the team sit on the ball and the rest of the team gather round and block the other team from getting at the ball?

There's a rule on obstruction, which this would break.
There's also I think a rule on conduct.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Gary Lineker would have been in BIG trouble with that ref!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:
Mick F wrote:I don't follow football, or care much about it, but I do have a question.

There's a rule on obstruction, which this would break.
There's also I think a rule on conduct.
So let the goalie keep the ball.
Whatever happens, if the other team can't get the ball, you've won 1-0
Why try for more goals?

What does "conduct" mean with respect to football?
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If one team scores, why do they still try to score again?

Here are some well-worn quotes that will surely help you to understand the game better: :lol:
"Both sides have scored a couple of goals, and both sides have conceded a couple of goals." - PETER WITHE
"I've been consistent in patches this season" - THEO WALCOTT
"In the end, Rosicky initially did well" - ANDY TOWNSEND
"The thing about goalscorers is that they score goals" - TONY COTTEE
"The last six games of the Invincibles season were the most pressurised, because we were under pressure" - RAY PARLOUR
"He's got a lot of self-belief in himself" - GRAHAM BEECROFT
"They were numerically outnumbered" - GARRY BIRTLES
"Not to win is guttering" - MARK NOBLE
"And with 4 minutes gone, the score is already 0-0." - IAN DARK
"I'm going to make a prediction - it could go either way." - RON ATKINSON
"Certain people are for me and certain people are pro me." - TERRY VENABLES
"Reading won't have the confidence to be confident" - PAUL MERSON
"If we played like this every week, we wouldn't be so inconsistent." - BRYAN ROBSON
"The one significant change is in fact the second significant change" - JONATHAN PEARCE
"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer." - DAVID ACFIELD
"Glenn Hoddle hasn't been the Hoddle we know. Neither has Bryan Robson." - RON GREENWOOD
"I don't think there is anybody bigger or smaller than Maradona." - KEVIN KEEGAN
"For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are in the all-yellow strip." - JOHN MOTSON
"I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." - RON ATKINSON
"I would not say he [David Ginola] is the best left winger in the Premiership, but there are none better." - RON ATKINSON
"What will you do when you leave football, Jack -- will you stay in football?" - STUART HALL
"The new West Stand casts a giant shadow over the entire pitch, even on a sunny day." - CHRIS JONES
"You don't score 64 goals in 86 games at the highest level without being able to score goals." - ALAN GREEN
"Matty Jarvis had acres of time there" - STAN COLLYMORE
"It's an unprecedented precedent" - CLARK CARLISLE
"...but Arsenal are quick to credit Bergkamp with laying on 75% of their nine goals." - TONY GUBBA
"If you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell the difference between the two sides" - PHIL BROWN
"He dribbles a lot and the opposition don't like it - you can see it all over their faces." - RON ATKINSON
"If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again." - TERRY VENABLES
"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that." - KEVIN KEEGAN
"A game is not won until it is lost." - DAVID PLEAT
"I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet." - DAVID BECKHAM
"I never make predictions, and I never will." - PAUL GASCOIGNE
"I couldn't settle in Italy. It was like living in a foreign country." - IAN RUSH
"There are two ways of getting the ball. One is from your own team-mates, and that's the only way." - TERRY VENABLES
"A contract on a piece of paper, saying you want to leave, is like a piece of paper saying you want to leave." - JOHN HOLLINS
"We must have had 99 per cent of the match. It was the other three per cent that cost us." - RUUD GULLIT
"I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock." -BARRY VENISON
"My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7." - DAVID BECKHAM
"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league." - MARK VIDUKA
"If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day." - NEVILLE SOUTHALL
"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel." - STUART PEARCE
"I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona." - MARK DRAPER
"One accusation you can't throw at me is that I've always done my best." - ALAN SHEARER
"All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed." - MITCHELL THOMAS
"Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match." - IAN WRIGHT
"Germany are a very difficult team to play...they had 11 internationals out there today." - STEVE LOMAS
"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable." - PAUL GASCOIGNE
"He's put on weight and I've lost it, and vice versa." - RONNIE WHELAN
"The first ninety minutes of a football match are the most important." - BOBBY ROBSON
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:So let the goalie keep the ball.
Whatever happens, if the other team can't get the ball, you've won 1-0
Why try for more goals?

There are rules. rather than question each and every one, you could go look them up :wink:
Goalkeepers are only permitted to hold the ball for 6 sec, then a referee can award an indirect free kick.
There's also rules against time wasting.
What does "conduct" mean with respect to football?

Not farting at the opposition apparently :wink:
I think referees have some discretion, but if a team is acting in a way outside the spirit of the game they can penalise them.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh well. :oops:

Keep kicking the ball into the crowd?
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Oh well. :oops:

Keep kicking the ball into the crowd?

That gives it to the other side...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yeah, but it'll take ten minutes for the ball to be returned, or even longer if you kicked it into your supporters.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

[quote="Mick F"]
quote]

Mick F, it's not that simple anymore.

Goal difference....the difference between the amount of goals that you score and the amount of goals that you concede....has become a big part of football. The 2012 Premier League was won/lost on goal difference.....Man' Utd and Man' City ended the season on exactly the same points, but City won the title due to their 'better' goal difference....

Every goal matters nowadays as the league CAN be so tight.......

Hope that lot makes some sort of sense...... :D