What should Jeremy do?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: What should Jeremy do?

Post by horizon »

Well no-one suggested that he should be the headline act at Glastonbury with apparently the biggest crowd there ever but he's gone ahead and done it anyway:

https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/videos ... f=mentions
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:Well no-one suggested that he should be the headline act at Glastonbury with apparently the biggest crowd there ever but he's gone ahead and done it anyway:

:D :D :D
Has anyone seen that kind crowd in this country roaring for a politician?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:Well no-one suggested that he should be the headline act at Glastonbury with apparently the biggest crowd there ever but he's gone ahead and done it anyway:

It was a music festival it is the required behaviour to support labour.....or pretend to!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Boyd wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It was a music festival it is the required behaviour to support labour.....or pretend to!!

How do you work that out?
I never saw Blair or any other politician FTM, addressing the crowds at a music festival :?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:
Boyd wrote:It was a music festival it is the required behaviour to support labour.....or pretend to!!

I never saw Blair or any other politician FTM, addressing the crowds at a music festival :?

It's only those weirdo hippy lefty types that go to music fests, right?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Boyd wrote:It was a music festival it is the required behaviour to support labour.....or pretend to!!

That must it,and why he was so popular as Boyd so rightly says,eh? :wink:
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I am glad we agree on something! Note I did say or pretend to. Plus they tend to be young and no nothing about the real world.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Boyd wrote:.... Plus they tend to be young and no nothing about the real world.

Perhaps they should be stopped from voting then,along with those women who obviously also know nothing about the real world either ,maybe people below a certain IQ level or who aren't in regular employment should also not be allowed to vote,
Perhaps you have some other sections of society in mind who 'know nothing about the real world,perhaps based on religion :?
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

reohn2 wrote:
Boyd wrote:.... Plus they tend to be young and no nothing about the real world.

Perhaps they should be stopped from voting then,along with those women who obviously also know nothing about the real world either ,maybe people below a certain IQ level or who aren't in regular employment should also not be allowed to vote,
Perhaps you have some other sections of society in mind who 'know nothing about the real world,perhaps based on religion :?

Interesting how you used my views on young people to imply I am a misogynistic, racist, biased against people with a supposedly low IQ and the unemployed (including myself).
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

He needs to do something about this.

https://order-order.com/2017/07/25/mome ... sm-motion/
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

You should describe what the link is, then people can decide whether they want to click on it!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mark R wrote:You should describe what the link is, then people can decide whether they want to click on it!

Guido Fawkes - the UK's altright.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:The left claimed that the work was carried out in a penny pinching and shoddy manner - maybe not, as yet no evidence and no charges or police raids.

The insulation used was chosen because it was cheaper than the fire resistant stuff. If that's not penny pinching what would you call it?

al_yrpal wrote:The left have claimed that the regulations were a failure, yet this block was inspected 16 times while the work was being carried out.

If it was inspected 16 times and found to comply with regulation then those regulations were a failure.

al_yrpal wrote:The left have claimed that the Tory council approved shoddy work, yet the overseeing committee which was advised by experts and was responsible for awarding and overseeing the contracts was composed of residents and councillors in roughly equal numbers.

The council would have the final say.

al_yrpal wrote:And most importantly, somebody or some committee in about 2000 thought is was a good idea to insulate high rise blocks with combustible carbon based materials, which gave off cyanide gas while burning. And these ideas were approved (may even have been proposed) in Brussels.

The type of insulation used is banned in several EU countries.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

blackbike wrote:He needs to do something about this.

https://order-order.com/2017/07/25/mome ... sm-motion/

That was worth a laugh
one heckler is heard to shout: “We’ll see you in your constituency Labour Party”. Menacing…

Menacing?? Really? Sounds like the threat of democracy to me. and any one who objects to what was said in the council meeting ought to look at the comments on that website :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:The left claimed that the work was carried out in a penny pinching and shoddy manner - maybe not, as yet no evidence and no charges or police raids.
Where is 'the left' claiming this? I have seen that some residents have claimed this. The only place I have seen those specific words used are on conservative news sites and blogs, saying that's what the left is claiming. I have see no such claims from left-leaning sites. Only questions about the work, contractors, regulations, etc. As for charges, an investigation like this could take months, and may require legal consultations about contract terms, etc.
al_yrpal wrote:The left have claimed that the regulations were a failure, yet this block was inspected 16 times while the work was being carried out.
If that isn't evidence of a failure of regulations, I don't know what is.

al_yrpal wrote:The left have claimed that the Tory council approved shoddy work, yet the overseeing committee which was advised by experts and was responsible for awarding and overseeing the contracts was composed of residents and councillors in roughly equal numbers.
Grenfell was managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation, on behalf of the council. One of these two organisations is ultimately responsible for overseeing the work. The materials that were approved by residents were not those installed by contractors. This was approved as a contract amendment by KCTMO https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... eports-say

al_yrpal wrote:The left have claimed that the work was entirely cosmetic, to gentrify the area. Yet the whole point of the work was to improve insulation and bring it up to EU standards.

The work was done partly to improve the energy efficiency of the building. And, yes, that was partly to meet Directive 2010/31/EU, which includes requirements for energy efficiency in new and modified buildings. However, it also specifically says that climate and technical challenges should be taken into consideration. In other words, if the only way to make this building energy efficient was to ignore fire safety considerations, an exception should be made. Furthermore, if the cladding had actually met either the British version of the cladding system performance test or the European equivalent EN 13501-1, class B-s3, at the very least, the fire would not have spread so quickly. Both the British and European standards were known to be deficient, which is why a number of other countries, including some European countries have banned the use of this type of cladding on tall buildings.
al_yrpal wrote:The left claimed that May and the Tories were directly responsible, yet there are 600 blocks clad like this, for most of which the work of which was undertaken, or approved and started when Labour was in office.
Successive governments have failed to take action on the recommendations of an all-party parliamentary group on fire safety, and failed to heed warnings from previous fires. The Scottish government took action, and consequently have few buildings cladd in the type of cladding used at Grenfell. While I don't see how the current government could possibly take more blame than previous governments for the poor regulation, I think it's easy to see why people might attribute some other aspects of the fire to austerity, including the fire equipment and instructions at Grenfell, cuts to the fire brigade, closing of stations, and lack of equipment that might have made a difference at Grenfell.
al_yrpal wrote:And most importantly, somebody or some committee in about 2000 thought is was a good idea to insulate high rise blocks with combustible carbon based materials, which gave off cyanide gas while burning. And these ideas were approved (may even have been proposed) in Brussels. Who was in power in about 2000?
Brussels had nothing to do with either the selection nor approval of the material.

p.s. the generalising and derogatory use of 'the left' doesn't make any arguments.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom