What should Jeremy do?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

What should Jeremy do?

Post by horizon »

They don't like him, do they. What would you do in his position?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Re: What should Jeremy do?

Post by pwa »

He has to go, or replace most of the other Labour MPs. He cannot lead the MPs he has.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I would hopefully be pragmatic, recognise my shortcomings and resign.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Behave honourably and not try to cling to power when it's obvious that he will not be able to obtain ultimate power for his party.

You've had a good run, it's been a blast and all that, but...
syklist

Post by syklist »

horizon wrote:They don't like him, do they. What would you do in his position?

Not another Top Gear thread...

Oh, you mean the other Jeremy...
So long and thanks for all the fish...
pwa

Post by pwa »

If he is honourable, and I think he is, he will not cling on unless he can see a credible scenario that results in a General Election win. Surely he must doubt that.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Last week on R4 ( I think on the 'Heresy' programme) David Mitchell pitched an amusing theory that a lot of the Labour membership like to observe the UK's problems, criticise those in power and campaign for it to be better. Therefore they actually dislike actually being in power because they are the ones with responsibility and can't campaign against it. It was all tongue-in-cheek but had that little kernel of truth.

I imagine the programme was recorded at least a couple of weeks ago but it seems especially pertinent now.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

From the little I know and read, the man has never in his political career put a moral foot wrong. Unlike virtually every other politricktion.
He needs to stay so that people continue to have basic human rights and not be killed off like the conservatives have been doing over the last couple years.
Who the hell cares about leadership skills? As long as he sorts this stupid nation out and does so morally.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

He's put up with "them" not liking him from day one, if he can overcome that he will be a stronger leader for the experience.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
niggle

Post by niggle »

I'm hoping that he can weather the current storm and carry on. My hope also is that all the dissenters leaving the cabinet will actually help his cause in the long run.

I also think that his luke warm support for Remain was spot on, i.e. from a left wing perspective it was a case of 'on balance about better off in but no biggie' and this will look quite sensible in hindsight.

IMO he keeps getting it right like this by simply doing what he believes is right and the long term impression of integrity and steadfastness in the face of hysterical opposition can only be good.

Other examples of getting it right long term, by sticking to his principles, IMO:

Opposing the Iraq war

Not fiddling his expenses

Ignoring established media and talking direct to people through social media

Taking more notice of the young

Not getting all shouty at PMQs

Keeping the Labour Party Remain campaign low key, thoroughly separate from and differently focused to the Tory one

Doing the bare minimum to change/smarten up his image and no more

Avoiding talking about migration as a problem in itself and focusing on housing, infrastructure and welfare

Offering MPs from other wings of the party a chance to contribute, but kicking them out if they don't play ball
niggle

Post by niggle »

al_yrpal wrote:I would hopefully be pragmatic, recognise my shortcomings and resign.

Al

What shortcomings?
meic

Post by meic »

Instruct the membership to start deselection and let those who resigned move on to the Tory party to get elected on the back of the Tory policies which they prefer.
Yma o Hyd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:Behave honourably and not try to cling to power when it's obvious that he will not be able to obtain ultimate power for his party.

I would agree. But I don't think he will - most politicians cling to power beyond the point where they have clearly lost it (particularly recent Labour ones).

I suspect if he does stand again and the membership elect him again the Labour Party will split into two, the leaving part being made up a bit with more more centre Conservatives and maybe a few Lib Dems (if there are any left).

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ben@Forest wrote:Therefore they actually dislike actually being in power

I suppose the opposite of that is people who just like being in power and feel it's their natural role. They don't deeply think things through because they're focussed mainly on (a) getting into a position of power and (b) exercising it. That applies not just to politicians but all sorts of managers and even lowly officials (like the ones I meet occasionally on the train).

To actually have a leader of a party who thinks first rather than acting (usually in a very "look at me" sort of way) is an extraordinary breath of fresh air. Given that 95% of his MPs are the shouty "hands on" sort, it must be very painful for them. For the rest of us, who live, yes, in a more thoughtful universe, it's almost beguilingly wonderful.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Behave honourably and not try to cling to power when it's obvious that he will not be able to obtain ultimate power for his party.

I would agree. But I don't think he will - most politicians cling to power beyond the point where they have clearly lost it (particularly recent Labour ones).

I suspect if he does stand again and the membership elect him again the Labour Party will split into two, the leaving part being made up a bit with more more centre Conservatives and maybe a few Lib Dems (if there are any left).

Ian

Digressing somewhat (but I'll be back to the point anon...) one can perhaps trace the origins of this crisis back to the Labour Party as opposed to the Tories.

They firstly selected the wrong Milliband. The election, which was eminently winnable, was lost, not entirely unconnected to the previous point. Millibibbler quit and walked away the next day. Disarray followed, and some bright spark thought it was a good idea to invite a token Leftist to throw his hat in the ring. Said Leftist has his first taste of power, but runs a lacklustre campaign on behalf of Remain, and the rest we know.

So, back to the point (I knew I'd left it somewhere). Integrity's great, and entirely to be encouraged, nay required, but that alone's not enough, and clinging on only to pitch your party further into chaos when its country and supporters needs it most seems rather self-indulgent at best.