Brexit consequences

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycleruk

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

there wont be any nexits for year until they see what happens to the UK? So the EU has a year maybe to start reforming?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-uk-trade-deals-negotiations-norway-prime-minister-erna-solberg-a7126551.html wrote:No trade deals with UK until Brexit is complete, says Norway's Prime Minister

Erna Solberg says Norway will not collaborate economically with UK until Brussels deal finalised

Norway will refuse to negotiate any separate trade deals with the UK until the British government agrees the terms of how it will withdraw from the European Union, the country’s prime minister has said.

I suppose the Brexit supporters will dismiss this as "being negative". Maybe we need to start doing something (anything) to protect the country against the impacts. If only we had a Prime Minister or a government or even some politicians that were more interested in what they have done to the UK than in their own career prospects.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75

Post by pete75 »

And now Brexiters have their own TV programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19fcN3VaXs4
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Farage told Mirror in May: “52-48 referendum would be unfinished business - If Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Psamathe wrote:Some interesting points
from https://twitter.com/Bubblejet/status/749041064414220292

Ian

Bad losers from the Remain side should refrain from telling us that the referendum resulted can be disregarded.

It was this arrogant and dismissive approach to the opinions of others which was a major factor in their defeat.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:It was this arrogant and dismissive approach to the opinions of others which was a major factor in their defeat.

I can see that, but the story is complicated by the evident bad faith of many of the Brexit leaders. I, for one, can respect an individual choice to vote leave. If, however, that opinion is formed from falsehoods that no one in the Brexit camp still stands by, then what shall I think?

It seems likely that much of what leavers thought they were voting for will be disregarded in any case - and with the support of many of the Brexit leaders.

The referendum proposed a binary choice when the outcome would be anything but. As a 'winner' what did you think you were voting for?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

bovlomov wrote:
blackbike wrote:It was this arrogant and dismissive approach to the opinions of others which was a major factor in their defeat.

I can see that, but the story is complicated by the evident bad faith of many of the Brexit leaders. I, for one, can respect an individual choice to vote leave. If, however, that opinion is formed from falsehoods that no one in the Brexit camp still stands by, then what shall I think?

It seems likely that much of what leavers thought they were voting for will be disregarded in any case - and with the support of many of the Brexit leaders.

The referendum proposed a binary choice when the outcome would be anything but. As a 'winner' what did you think you were voting for?

I voted Leave.

As in any poll I was quite aware that both sides were spouting half-truths, quarter-truths and 'facts' of even less substance.

Voters are adults, and know that this goes on.

It is time the bad losers on the Remain side realised this, and stopped the dismissal of Leave voters as racist and especially ignorant and gullible.

If the Remain losers continue to portray themselves as cleverer than the rest of us and more capable of judging the veracity of the claims of politicians, then all they will do is highlight their arrogance and the contempt they have for most of the electorate.

They employed this tactic during the referendum campaign, and a fat lot of good it did them.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:

Bad losers from the Remain side should refrain from telling us that the referendum resulted can be disregarded.

It was this arrogant and dismissive approach to the opinions of others which was a major factor in their defeat.

So when Farage said: “52-48 referendum would be unfinished business - If Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.” He was expecting if it went slightly against him w'd keep arguing but if it went slightly in his favour everybody else should just shut-up because he's won (won through lies and deceit but won).

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:It is time the bad losers on the Remain side realised this, and stopped the dismissal of Leave voters as racist and especially ignorant and gullible.

They must have been ignorant. They had no idea what the consequences would be. The Brexit leaders lied and lied. Boris Johnson freely admitted that he made up anti-EU stories while working at the Telegraph. He simply continued that during the campaign - even though it was often at odds with what he had said elsewhere. Gove and IDS are famous for their dishonesty. They drove around in a bus decorated with a lie. The only defence against the charge of gullibility would be if leave voters took no notice of the Brexit campaign.

There was deceit on both sides, but I think it is absurd to say that the scale of it was comparable.

You voted Leave, but you have no idea what it means in practice. Or, if you do, you know more than anyone else.
PH

Post by PH »

blackbike wrote:If the Remain losers continue to portray themselves as cleverer than the rest of us and more capable of judging the veracity of the claims of politicians, then all they will do is highlight their arrogance and the contempt they have for most of the electorate.

The problems arise when a proportion of one side think they can take the entire other side and treat it a a whole. I voted remain and don't consider that makes me any cleverer than anyone. I think I did a fair job of distinguishing the propaganda from the facts coming from both sides, which I think makes me less gullible than those who now say they couldn't.
I don't know which is worse, the whining losers or the smug winners, but I doubt there's be any less of either had the vote gone the other way. Don't forget some of the winners were whining about losing before they won!
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

The bad loser Remain tactic of describing Leave voters as racist, stupid and gullible strikes me as an unintelligent approach, revealing the naivety and poor social skills of those who employ it.

As a way of venting anger and frustration I can see how it might help some disappointed Remainers, but as a method of getting the electorate to reconsider its decision it is not a sensible way forward.

In a democracy a self-proclaimed clever minority telling the majority it is stupid and votes unwisely is very unlikely to result in the minority getting its way.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »