Brexit consequences

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Brexit consequences

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:I'm really looking forward to the UK taking control of it's unitary systems again and reverting to fahrenheit and shillings.

Wasn't Fahrenheit German? And I guess shilling is derived from something Anglo-Saxon - Austria used Schillings before the Euro. So if we do that I guess we'll be as European as we are.. er...now!
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

We at least can go on using the British pound weight of16 ounces at 437.5 (Troy* :oops: ) grains each, totalling 7000 (Troy* :oops: ) grains rather than the lightweight Troy* pound of 12 ounces at 480 (Troy*) grains which only totals 5760 (Troy*) grains

Pity the French abandoned their own pound in favour of the 'standard' Kilogram which is merely the weight of the current standard kilogram, a small cylinder made of an alloy of platinum and iridium which is prone to aging and impermanence. Typical!

*Troy weights and measures, as used in that horridly foreign market down at Troyes: Once one of the most active markets in Europe and so setting the standard by which goods were exchanged long distance
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Unsurprising data from the PMI reflects what those of us at the coal face who deal with the rest of the world have known for the last month.
(As opposed to those pensioners amongst us who think economic growth occurs when their shares go up in value).

Huge fall in services (our biggest export), a fall in manufacturing and new orders. The weak pound has helped some exports though (and it's just fallen again, so another boost).
If we don't enter recession it'll be a miracle.

I wait with baited breath to see exactly how it all pans out and whether the muppets at the top really can stop the economy crashing - I reckon they've got their work cut out and May has never been one for heeding experts.

On the other hand, lots of cheap coal and other resources as the Aussies try hard to dump the stuff nobody wants anymore. Shame we probably won't need it and also that any advantage in buying it 'tariff' free will be lost unless the pound picks up.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In French markets you still often see vegetables being offered by the pound or livre, which is 1/2 a Kg or roughly 18 ounces.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Another consequence stuck me the other day: we will need a bigger government. Just trade negotiations takes a lot of lawyers, but add in all the other functions that the EU currently provides (economy of scale) all of which we will now need our own UK admin, monitoring, etc. people who will need their offices, their Civil Service pensions, etc. .... it's going to cost a lot of money (apart from the question about finding suitably qualified, experience people to fulfil those roles)..

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:Unsurprising data from the PMI reflects what those of us at the coal face who deal with the rest of the world have known for the last month.
(As opposed to those pensioners amongst us who think economic growth occurs when their shares go up in value).

Huge fall in services (our biggest export), a fall in manufacturing and new orders. The weak pound has helped some exports though (and it's just fallen again, so another boost).
If we don't enter recession it'll be a miracle.

I wait with baited breath to see exactly how it all pans out and whether the muppets at the top really can stop the economy crashing - I reckon they've got their work cut out and May has never been one for heeding experts.

On the other hand, lots of cheap coal and other resources as the Aussies try hard to dump the stuff nobody wants anymore. Shame we probably won't need it and also that any advantage in buying it 'tariff' free will be lost unless the pound picks up.

It's not just that we are doing badly, but the French and Germans are doing well.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/jul/22/surveys-brexit-impact-uk-eurozone-g20-lagarde-sports-direct-live wrote:Markit’s PMI surveys have undermined the notion that the rest of Europe would suffer as badly as the UK from the Brexit vote.

While Britain appears to be shrinking, France’s economy was quite resilient and German private sector growth hit its highest level of the year (see earlier post)

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

And another consequence ... Cameron is appointing even more people to the House of Lords (basically more of his mates who have helped his career). fortunately the House of Lords is questioning the suitability of some of those Cameron is seeking to appoint.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so one of the "woe is me" and end of days "experts" is going to be tried for corruption?

IMF's Lagarde to face trial over payout court confirms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36868195

seems like the IMF attracts a lot of dubious people -

"Ms Lagarde, who was given a second five-year term as IMF managing director in January, is the third head of the organisation to face legal proceedings."
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I'm really looking forward to the UK taking control of it's unitary systems again and reverting to fahrenheit and shillings.

Wasn't Fahrenheit German? And I guess shilling is derived from something Anglo-Saxon - Austria used Schillings before the Euro. So if we do that I guess we'll be as European as we are.. er...now!
I say bring back the Mite when ENGLAND WAS ENGLAND :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_B ... re-decimal
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dunno about Mite more Mike(Harding)Three Ha'pence a Foot:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDpFNgbkbQ
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Paulatic wrote:Raleigh raise their prices
http://road.cc/content/news/198800-rale ... due-brexit

Every time I hear the word 'Raleigh' I'm slightly surprised to realise they're still going...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am now glad I bought my load of spares from Rose some time ago :)
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Yesterday May was in Poland.
May repeated that message in Warsaw, saying the voters had sent a “very clear message that they do not want free movement to continue as it has in the past”.

Did they?

Discuss.

The referendum simply asked us whether we wanted to leave or to remain.That leaves May a lot of room for negotiation, but she shouldn't claim a mandate for anything further than that. What we think about immigration, free movement, trade terms or treaties is simply her interpretation. The Leave result can be respected just as faithfully under the Norwegian model (free trade and free movement) as it can under an isolationist model. The will of the people is not part of the decision, because the people weren't asked.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bovlomov wrote:Did they?

Discuss.

The referendum simply asked us whether we wanted to leave or to remain.That leaves May a lot of room for negotiation, but she shouldn't claim a mandate for anything further than that. What we think about immigration, free movement, trade terms or treaties is simply her interpretation. The Leave result can be respected just as faithfully under the Norwegian model (free trade and free movement) as it can under an isolationist model. The will of the people is not part of the decision, because the people weren't asked.

This is May though.

A woman that introduced the "psychoactive substances bill", a bill that effectively makes almost everything illegal so broad is its scope (despite evidence from experts).

She's also responsible for the "Surveillance Bill", another roundly condemned by experts as being impossible to implement. (Requiring internet providers to provide access to encrypted communications - you don't need to be much of an expert to realise communications are encrypted between peers and the provider couldn't break them if they wanted to).

They're not the only two where she roundly ignores experts and other opinions, so in that respect I'd fully expect her to use the vote to push through whatever agenda suits herself rather than what anyone actually wants.