3 million face uncertainty and deportation from UK

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Would you vote for this woman?

Poll ended at 15 Jul 2016, 7:24am

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 15

53x13

3 million face uncertainty and deportation from UK

Postby 53x13 » 5 Jul 2016, 7:24am

In a surprise statement (maybe not that much of a surprise) Theresa 'Stasi' May not only wants to take away all our digital freedoms, 'backdoor' every single piece of encryption we use, but now also it seems wishes to deport 3 million EU citizens 'back to where they came from ', sparking a war of tit for tat reprisals across Europe. All this fuelling yet more dischord and violence in the UK. Oh, and she also wants to roll back the Human Rights charter. And spy on your kids.

Enoch Powell would be beaming...

[XAP]Bob

Re: 3 million face uncertainty and deportation from UK

Postby [XAP]Bob » 5 Jul 2016, 7:55am

Did I mention that is the devil incarnate?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

syklist

Postby syklist » 5 Jul 2016, 8:05am

According to a user on The Register forums it looks like the migrants are the lucky ones...

"One of the eastern european seasonal farm workers put it nicely, he can go home but he felt sorry for the English with no where else to go."

Source : http://http://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/32714/
So long and thanks for all the fish...

pwa

Postby pwa » 5 Jul 2016, 8:25am

If I were an East European living in the UK I would be listening carefully to what the leading politicians are saying, but I don't think I would have too much to be concerned about right now. There are no guarantees at the moment because it all depends on how our EU partners are going to deal with UK citizens living in the EU, but every UK politician I have heard speak on this matter has expressed a desire to see people left where they are to carry on their lives with a minimum of disruption. And I feel that the public are strongly behind that.

A survey carries out a few days ago revealed that 84% of UK citizens want EU citizens living here to stay here if they want to. Of those who said they had voted Leave, 77% were in favour. A BBC team on the streets of Boston in Lincolnshire (the most pro-leave place, apparently) asked passers by what should happen to EU citizens living here, and the overwhelming response (they said) was that they should be allowed to stay and should be made to feel welcome.

So I think the citizens of other EU states currently living here do not have to worry too much.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 5 Jul 2016, 9:14am

Declaration of interests: I can't stand May and Cameron, and I have everything to lose if EU citizens are sent home.

I can't see what else May or Cameron could say. For one thing, none of the people making those guarantees are in any position to do so (no surprise there - they were making the same empty promises before the vote). Then imagine how the press would react if the UK guaranteed the rights of EU citizens, and the EU didn't reciprocate. The guarantee would rightly be seen as reckless.

It is irresponsible to make that kind of promise at this stage, and those making them are simply playing to the gallery. The use of the term 'bargaining chips' is more of the 'think of the children' type of sentimentality so beloved of demagogues. Why do Leadsom's repeated references to family and motherhood remind me of Saddam and the cornflakes?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 5 Jul 2016, 9:40am

this is just the UK version of the French threatening to let all the Calais migrants go to Dover? Expect to see more of this in the next few weeks until sane politicians ( eg Merkel in the EU) squash the rabble rousers ( The French wannabe President ) and Brexit happens in a civilized way?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 5 Jul 2016, 9:48am

A bit of uncertainty for a while, but that's about it, I think. Much will be made of this, little of substance will come of it.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 5 Jul 2016, 10:01am

Whilst I intensely dislike May (and Leadsom and Gove, etc.) what she said it being played and spun by the other candidates.

The position of EU citizens living in the UK will be subject to negotiation just as the position/status of UK citizens living in the EU will be subject to the same negotiation. Normally reciprocity is used.

So throw out or restrict rights/benefits of UK citizens in Europe and we place the same constraints on EU citizens living in the UK. And (assuming we reject free trade/Freedom of Movement) there will have to be limits e.g. what cut-off date (to avoid people rushing in the day before UK leaves EU), what about state health care (France already restricts that for some UK citizens living there), what about people without jobs and not looking for jobs who cannot support themselves, etc., etc. All subject to negotiation and probably reciprocity BUT you cannot and should not provide any guarantees before that negotiation and before agreements are reached.

Any Conservative leader who guaranteed EU citizens living in the UK full rights and then found UK citizens living in the EU were not afforded the same rights would look totally daft. Can you imagine the outcry where we are paying EU citizens benefits, child support, tax credits, etc. whilst UK citizens th EU are being refused health cover, refused benefits, refused everything.

I think it shows the inexperience of LEadsom and Crabb that they are effectively making unilateral guarantees before having any idea what lines any agreements might follow and how UK citizens will be treated in EU countries (and that is far from sorted).

Ian

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 5 Jul 2016, 10:27am

From what I have read, May's ideas about encryption would leave every computer in the world (Internet passeth everywhere) open to invasion and takeover. That someone at her level be ignorant of such matters if casually questioned is excusable, but if she's going to make sweeping statements on the suject then she should have made sure her staff had adequately informed her in advance. Not doing so shows basic incompetence overlaid with narcissistic overconfidence - much the same bull-at-a-gate** mentality as Boris, but without the wit.

That pretty well qualifies her to lead the Tories, but not the country.

** not to say cow.
Last edited by Audax67 on 5 Jul 2016, 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 5 Jul 2016, 10:29am

Until negotiations are concluded nothing is certain, thats all Teresa actually said. Its the correct opening negotiating position. It will be her government thats responsible for that so she chooses her words very carefully. She has been at the apex of neutralising home grown terrorists and thats why she wants what some call no privacy. Personally I would rather have that than people being murdered, I have nothing to fear nor have of any of the people I care about.
Its regretable that immigrants feel threatened. I believe they have nothing to fear from this thoroughly decent potential PM. Distorting facts, carefully chosen unfortunate photographs and the usual bouts of mindless name calling just dont cut it. My only reservation about all the candidates is lack of new ideas and inspiration.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 5 Jul 2016, 10:32am

53x13, I don't think she wants to deport people who have been here for a long time and can support themselves. She wants to prevent an influx of people coming now and demanding the right to stay, when we leave the EU. This much is clear from the article you linked to.

Taken straight from the article, to remove any doubt:

A source close to Ms May told The Independent: “She [Ms May] was saying it’s unwise to promise right now that all EU nationals living in Britain should be able to stay indefinitely. The reason for that is if we did that the same rights would have to apply to any EU national who comes to Britain before we leave the EU.

“If we made that promise you could just see a huge influx…of EU nationals who would all want to come here while they have that chance.”

Comparing her picture to that of Enoch Powell is cutting it rather too close to sexism for my liking, not something that is encouraged on these boards. Play the ball, not the woman.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 5 Jul 2016, 10:34am

al_yrpal wrote:Until negotiations are concluded nothing is certain, thats all Teresa actually said. Its the correct opening negotiating position. It will be her government thats responsible for that so she chooses her words very carefully. She has been at the apex of neutralising home grown terrorists and thats why she wants what some call no privacy. Personally I would rather have that than people being murdered, I have nothing to fear nor have of any of the people I care about.
Its regretable that immigrants feel threatened. I believe they have nothing to fear from this thoroughly decent potential PM. Distorting facts, carefully chosen unfortunate photographs and the usual bouts of mindless name calling just dont cut it. My only reservation about all the candidates is lack of new ideas and inspiration.

Al

Back doors into encryption are usually hacked within days of being implemented. The FBI got round Apple's refusal to decrypt an iPhone simply by inviting hackers to do it.

It's not a matter of "privacy", it's a matter of not having your ID lifted and your bank accounts emptied.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 5 Jul 2016, 10:40am

Farage thinks May's position on the status of EU citizens is 'disgusting'.

A hopelessly transparent attempt to boost pro-brexit candidates...

...but rather funny to see what kinds of things disgust Farage.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 5 Jul 2016, 10:42am

Psamathe wrote:Whilst I intensely dislike May (and Leadsom and Gove, etc.) what she said it being played and spun by the other candidates.

Politicians being politicians shocker - the little rascals, eh?

Could we perhaps all ask them to play this out behind closed doors do you think as it's probably better that they keep schtum for the moment :x

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 5 Jul 2016, 10:45am

Please describe precisely how to hack into ones bank account? If you can, I will alter my habits and take necessary precautions having used on line banking since it started. How could someone clone the card readers used for new transactions for instance?

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 5 Jul 2016, 10:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...