Pokemon Go Goes where others fear to tread?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Postby mercalia » 14 Jul 2016, 12:45pm

Police were called out to seize a suspected gunman in Stockholm. But when they arrived on the scene they found no armed criminal – only a man playing Pokemon Go.

http://www.thelocal.se/20160714/suspected-gunman-was-swede-with-smartphone

reohn2

Re: Pokemon Go Goes where others fear to tread?

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jul 2016, 12:31pm

I saw and article on the BBC news last about this new fad.
My reaction was WHAT! :shock: ,followed by Oh dear :? ,followed by,people really need to grow up :? ,followed by this is the 'NEWS' how did this idiotic nonsense get on the news :roll: .
I despair :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 15 Jul 2016, 12:45pm

reohn2 wrote:I saw and article on the BBC news last about this new fad.
My reaction was WHAT! :shock: ,followed by Oh dear :? ,followed by,people really need to grow up :? ,followed by this is the 'NEWS' how did this idiotic nonsense get on the news :roll: .
I despair :?

Why?

Why is it less newsworthy than (say) football or cricket?
There's a vast number of people doing it so I guess it's of interest to them.

I'd also hazard a guess that more people are trying to catch a Pokemon at the moment than are watching or have any interest in the Tour de France and that gets more coverage.
Perhaps it's the wrong way round. ;)

On the plus side, the park near me is full of kids that would normally be glued to the TV, so every small mercy etc etc...

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 15 Jul 2016, 12:49pm

I guess it's news because of the possibility of misuse by people who might want to harm youngsters innocently playing or perhaps mug those with expensive smart phones. I'm actually glad that the news has brought this to our attention.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jul 2016, 12:55pm

Spinners wrote:I guess it's news because of the possibility of misuse by people who might want to harm youngsters innocently playing or perhaps mug those with expensive smart phones. I'm actually glad that the news has brought this to our attention.

That's one aspect I never considered and is probably caused by my lack of understanding of the game.
I just find it so sad that people need a screen with cartoon characters to collect(?) for there lives to be enriched :? .

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 15 Jul 2016, 1:20pm

reohn2 wrote:That's one aspect I never considered and is probably caused by my lack of understanding of the game.
I just find it so sad that people need a screen with cartoon characters to collect(?) for there lives to be enriched :? .

It's entertainment, why do you find it sad that some folk choose to be entertained like that?
They're interacting with their screen as opposed to passively watching TV yet millions glue themselves to the TV every evening.
What about cycling? Most folk just ride their bikes around in a huge pointless loop - why is that not sad? (At least I ride my bike to go places).

Just because someone chooses to enjoy themselves in a way you don't understand...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jul 2016, 1:47pm

kwackers wrote:It's entertainment, why do you find it sad that some folk choose to be entertained like that?

It's probably my age but I prefer reality,and see such games as quite insular,an opinion FWIW.

They're interacting with their screen as opposed to passively watching TV yet millions glue themselves to the TV every evening.

I see a lot of the stuff on telly as pointless tripe too,FWIW.
What about cycling? Most folk just ride their bikes around in a huge pointless loop - why is that not sad? (At least I ride my bike to go places).

At least it's real and there are lots of other things along the way to see and interact with,like people.

Just because someone chooses to enjoy themselves in a way you don't understand...

No, people are free to do whatever they like,it's the fact that it makes national news I find sad.

FWIW,there was an article on the local BBC news last night about someone complaining about the council cutting the grass on the verge in front of their house.
Why?
Because it was wet and it made a bit of a mess on the footpath,I can understand their complaint sort of,but I couldn't understand it needing region wide coverage.
Bonkers,but of course they had video footage,cheap news about nothing with no substance!
It's the same with the gaming thing,and thinking about it,is it possible there could be a backhander somewhere?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 15 Jul 2016, 4:55pm

heard today on the BBC that some people had to be rescued from a cave due to the game :lol: :roll:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jul 2016, 5:13pm

mercalia wrote:heard today on the BBC that some people had to be rescued from a cave due to the game :lol: :roll:

Nothing surprises me.

mjr

Postby mjr » 15 Jul 2016, 5:55pm

mercalia wrote:heard today on the BBC that some people had to be rescued from a cave due to the game :lol: :roll:

http://www.techinsider.io/four-teens-go ... -go-2016-7 :roll:

Still not as good at it as the Californians who walked off a cliff... http://www.cnet.com/news/pokemon-go-pla ... -the-game/ (both articles link to details of an NY car crash)

Pokemon Go? Or Pokemon Darwin Edition? Who will be the first to die?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 15 Jul 2016, 6:59pm

reohn2 wrote:

Nothing surprises me.

To be fair - there's a thread on here about a guy who died cycling into the back of a car - and he's a long way from being the first.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jul 2016, 7:13pm

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Nothing surprises me.

To be fair - there's a thread on here about a guy who died cycling into the back of a car - and he's a long way from being the first.

As I said nothing surprises me :?

sjs

Postby sjs » 15 Jul 2016, 9:38pm

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That's one aspect I never considered and is probably caused by my lack of understanding of the game.

It's entertainment, why do you find it sad that some folk choose to be entertained like that?

When it was explained to me by my daughters my first thought was " what a great idea". Seems half the world agrees, as does the Nintendo share price. There was one in the garden of the pub we went to the other night.

sjs

Postby sjs » 15 Jul 2016, 9:42pm

reohn2 wrote:
kwackers wrote:It's entertainment, why do you find it sad that some folk choose to be entertained like that?

It's probably my age but I prefer reality,and see such games as quite insular,an opinion FWIW.

I see a lot of the stuff on telly as pointless tripe too,FWIW.

At least it's real and there are lots of other things along the way to see and interact with,like people.

No, people are free to do whatever they like,it's the fact that it makes national news I find sad.

FWIW,there was an article on the local BBC news last night about someone complaining about the council cutting the grass on the verge in front of their house.
Why?
Because it was wet and it made a bit of a mess on the footpath,I can understand their complaint sort of,but I couldn't understand it needing region wide coverage.
Bonkers,but of course they had video footage,cheap news about nothing with no substance!
It's the same with the gaming thing,and thinking about it,is it possible there could be a backhander somewhere?

A couple of years ago there was an item on the local ITV news, with a film crew, in response to a report of an amazing black squirrel in a village near us. They didn't seem to be aware that round here a fair proportion of grey squirrels is black. Slow news day, I suppose.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 15 Jul 2016, 11:56pm

Box stone mines, apparently, which have lots of scope for getting lost in, having something like 90 km of passages.
You would have thought they would have realised that with no GPS and no phone signal underground, the monster hunting wouldn't be very productive.