Pokemon Go Goes where others fear to tread?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Pokemon Go Goes where others fear to tread?

Post by mercalia »

andrew_s wrote:
mercalia wrote:heard today on the BBC that some people had to be rescued from a cave due to the game :lol: :roll:

Box stone mines, apparently, which have lots of scope for getting lost in, having something like 90 km of passages.
You would have thought they would have realised that with no GPS and no phone signal underground, the monster hunting wouldn't be very productive.

well only stupid people play those games? :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Man years ago, on a remote place called "Dartmoor" there was the idea of leaving a small stamp or similar that you could collect and this was called a "letter box" You found them using a map and compass

Then as GPS became cheaper and more popular the "Letterboxing" became more diverse with caches over wider areas and sought using GPS and a map. Again the "prize" was often a small rubber stamp, you just left a message,or a small token, or exchanged for one already there. THis was called "Geocaching"

This further developed with technology when some companies cut out the need for a physical cache by using tags with a bar code. This meant that you had a record of your visit, but also via the app, your visit was also recorded at the site

Then came the travel bug, that has two functions. It can ne used as a stationary cahe as above, but can also be moved, and its journey can be tracked. You can also add stories to the site.

This is really just another extension to an older and developing hobby
PH

Post by PH »

Cunobelin wrote:This is really just another extension to an older and developing hobby

And you forgot the CTC version the BCQ - which many start and few finish (Including me :oops: ) Though it's motivated me to many pleasant miles and I will get back to it at come point.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Pokémon Go leads to recovery of stolen bike: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/p ... ing-99121/ :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:Pokémon Go leads to recovery of stolen bike: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/p ... ing-99121/ :lol:

That's a great story :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is this a great story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36814165/man-in-new-zealand-quits-his-job-to-play-pokemon-go-full-time

A man in New Zealand has quit his job to play Pokemon Go full-time. :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:is this a great story?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36814165/man-in-new-zealand-quits-his-job-to-play-pokemon-go-full-time

A man in New Zealand has quit his job to play Pokemon Go full-time. :lol:

Yes. Why wouldn't it be? Doing what he wants without it hurting anyone, what's not good about it?
Even when he's done and back in the reality of everyday life, his adventure will have broadened his outlook and even without the publicity greatly increased his employment prospects.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

I'm scared to even try it. Apparently it's like the heroin of mobile phone games. One play and you're hooked!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

53x13 wrote:I'm scared to even try it. Apparently it's like the heroin of mobile phone games. One play and you're hooked!

ZOMBIELAND HAS ARRIVED - all those mindless people wandering around not knowing where they are? The smartphone habit was bad enough before, now this :!: :lol: Where ever I go I see people tapping away. I think it is an alien invasion attempt to take over the world :?: the players wont notice a few aliens or more :?:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

quite literally

-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36854134 :shock:

its all getting a bit stupid now if this happens? maybe its evolution- and survival of the fittest ie prune out all the Pokemon Go uses as a dead end in evolution that has no survival value?
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Jul 2016, 11:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Stupid people are stupid. Not sure playing Pokemon makes much difference.
How many people crash using satnavs? Or hit stuff despite apparently looking where they're going?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:

Stupid people are stupid. Not sure playing Pokemon makes much difference.
How many people crash using satnavs? Or hit stuff despite apparently looking where they're going?

maybe thats the effect of all these (electronic) gadgets in evolutionary terms a way to identify all the stupid people and remove them from the gene pool?
Psamathe

Pokemon Go

Post by Psamathe »

Just seen an item on the local TV news where apparently Essex Police have already stopped a few drivers who have been doing this "searching for Pokemon" whilst driving (i.e. driving along behind the wheel using their phone to search for Pokemon (and I don't understand any more about this game)).

You'd have expected a reputable app developer to have considered this and as the game relies on the GPS you'd have thought they would have maybe disabled the game when the phone is moving at e.g. >10mph.

At least the Police are stopping people for it, but ... beggars belief.

Ian
mercalia

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:Just seen an item on the local TV news where apparently Essex Police have already stopped a few drivers who have been doing this "searching for Pokemon" whilst driving (i.e. driving along behind the wheel using their phone to search for Pokemon (and I don't understand any more about this game)).

You'd have expected a reputable app developer to have considered this and as the game relies on the GPS you'd have thought they would have maybe disabled the game when the phone is moving at e.g. >10mph.

At least the Police are stopping people for it, but ... beggars belief.

Ian

I saw that too and rather frightening "sorry I knocked you over and crippled you but I was looking for a pokemon" :cry: Makes me wonder about riding on the roads with such nutheads