Another Scottish Referendum just around the corner?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: Another Scottish Referendum just around the corner?

Post by Vorpal »

bovlomov wrote:
JohnW wrote:
53x13 wrote:..............What then for a divided UK, out of Europe, casually eaten away by factionism and forgotten on the international stage.............................

Exactly!.......................but - could Nicola Sturgeon be persuaded to move Hadrian's wall, and the border, south by about 100 miles?

With London as a Scottish enclave.

:lol: :lol: My in-laws, who were second generation London Scots and now live in the wilds of Suffolk, are threatening to return to their ancestral homeland.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Exactly!.......................but - could Nicola Sturgeon be persuaded to move Hadrian's wall, and the border, south by about 100 miles?

With London as a Scottish enclave.

:lol: :lol: My in-laws, who were second generation London Scots and now live in the wilds of Suffolk, are threatening to return to their ancestral homeland.

LUCKY YOU :wink:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

JohnW wrote:Exactly!.......................but - could Nicola Sturgeon be persuaded to move Hadrian's wall, and the border, south by about 100 miles?

Wait a minute, didn't the north of England have a majority vote to leave the EU?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

rualexander wrote:
JohnW wrote:Exactly!.......................but - could Nicola Sturgeon be persuaded to move Hadrian's wall, and the border, south by about 100 miles?

Wait a minute, didn't the north of England have a majority vote to leave the EU?

Yeah - but they'll regret it when they're made to wear kilts.............wind of change and all that.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:
rualexander wrote:

Yeah - but they'll regret it when they're made to wear kilts.............wind of change and all that.

Hoots Mon! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just back from Scotland, most of the kilt wearers spoke with an.American accent, excluding those working in tourism that is. Something to do with finding their roots or something. Seems people are proud of being.Scottish even when they're not.

I think the only place to move to is Berwick on Tweed, isn't that kind of permanently in transition to or from Scottish control? Sorry Bearaig a Deas I should say.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

53x13 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:How much weight can you place on a poll of 8404 people across 6 EU states?

Are the people asked among the governments of the 4 EU states out of the 6 with a vote on this?

Link was to an SNP Twitter account...

As it's an Article 50 affected decision, it only takes a majority of the member states to vote and Scotland is back in the fold of the EU. A veto vote is not applicable in an article 50 event. So 15/28 states would have to vote Yes. Which, given the antipathy towards the rUK and the desire to give the Brexiters a bloody nose, shouldn't be a difficult ask at all.

The Poll was from an official You Gov European agency. what's your point? None, I would imagine.

I guess my point is you gov is an internet based pollster, although with a decent record compared to its competitors, is just a poll of the general public of 4 nations of any relevance to accepting an independent Scotland back in to the EU. It is not a poll of anyone with any power to vote Scotland back in. Article 50 refers to leaving the EU and once invoked applies to Scotland as much as rUK.

Once the UK has invoked article 50 there's 2 years to separate (longer if rEU accept extension). This could give time for an independence vote but I seriously doubt this divorce would happen before the EU one. That leaves an independent Scotland needing to get back into EU. Majority vote? Doubt that somehow. Why would Scotland have a different entry procedure than any other country? All 27 rEU countries would have to vote for entry.

So back to.that poll, it has no relevance because it's the political leaders who vote for Scottish re-entry not the general public. It's not a general election so polls are not that relevant. One last point, since when did political leaders in power do everything according to the results of polls? Would polls go with Osborne's austerity, the attack on the poor, the assault on our social welfare system, etc.? Would polls go with Blair's dodgy dossier and Iraq war? Perhaps the last one the answer is yes because we're a bit too ready to go to war I reckon,

Still this idea of Scotland getting right back in is as long as the Brexit ideas IMHO so perhaps it will happen too.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Sturgeon signalled yesterday an intention to have a second indyref in the first 6 months of next year, should Article 50 be put in to play in an expected December time frame. She'll definitely lever this decision with as much force as possible given the 62/38 Remain vote north of the border.

Having such a vote whilst still a member of the EU, and if successful gives them tremendous leverage to remain in the EU as a member who is being 'involuntarily' dragged out of it by what may well be by then (given the trio of Muppet's May has quite cleverly (imo) put in place to negotiate it, a very unpopular rUK.

Most politicical pundits agree that a second indyref held under those circumstances would be a landslide Yes.

It would also make the possibility of another EU referendum more likely, and a good opportunity to give rUK a kick in the teeth, when they were down.

Brussels is probably salivating at the utter mayhem (politically and financial) that this will cause. It's clear we're in for a very interesting, if unstable 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-36819182
gottogetfit

Post by gottogetfit »

We voted as the UK. The result is that of the UK. Scotland is part of the UK. The UK voted to leave. What part of that does Nicola Sturgeon not understand. Harrogate voted remain. Independent Yorkshire I say!
RickH

Post by RickH »

gottogetfit wrote:We voted as the UK. The result is that of the UK. Scotland is part of the UK. The UK voted to leave. What part of that does Nicola Sturgeon not understand. Harrogate voted remain. Independent Yorkshire I say!

But the people of Scotland were being told by the "No" side in the last independence referendum that the only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK. Anyone who was swayed by that argument will justifiably feel aggrieved if they are now being told that they have to leave the EU because the UK as a whole voted for it.

If Scotland became (or was on the path to) independence before the UK leaves the EU there might be the possibility of a then independent Scotland staying in as the rUK leaves. If that is a possibility then a Scotland staying in scenario might only need a majority vote rather than the unanimity for them leaving, with the rest of the UK, & then joining as an independent country. The likelihood of it being possible is probably more dependent on the political will of enough of the remaining EU rather than anything decided in Westminster.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:
gottogetfit wrote:We voted as the UK. The result is that of the UK. Scotland is part of the UK. The UK voted to leave. What part of that does Nicola Sturgeon not understand. Harrogate voted remain. Independent Yorkshire I say!

But the people of Scotland were being told by the "No" side in the last independence referendum that the only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK. Anyone who was swayed by that argument will justifiably feel aggrieved if they are now being told that they have to leave the EU because the UK as a whole voted for it.....

To me that is a very significant point. Very much a "vote to stay in UK to stay in the EU" then not that long later "despite the wishes of your country you are leaving the EU anyway".

And whatever the feeling amongst the Scottish electorate, it does provide a powerful campaigning issue for the SNP; a real "Westminster forcing this on us against our [Scottish] wishes" - which might sway some who are not too concerned about the EU.

Ian
georgew

Post by georgew »

So you equate Yorkshire, a Region of England with Scotland which is a Nation and one which voted to remain in the EU? Not only that but a Nation which was specifically told by all senior Unionist politicians that only by voting "No" in the Independence referendum could they be sure of staying in the union.

Here's the thing....England and Scotland joined together in an act of union and on terms of equality between the two Nations. Yet it seems you believe that England has the right to drag Scotland out of the EU despite our stated wish to remain....good luck with that.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My hope is that the Scots have a legal referendum soon to settle their independence question once and for all. I hope they don't leave the Union but if they do thats their choice. As the recent EU referendum shows referendums dont stop the grumbling losers. The sole purpose of the SNP is to attain independence regardless of the the economic and human cost. I hope Scotlands Yes voters realise that.

Meanwhile, onwards and upwards…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:As the recent EU referendum shows referendums dont stop the grumbling losers. The sole purpose of the SNP is to attain independence regardless of the the economic and human cost. I hope Scotlands Yes voters realise that.

Al

That is terribly familiar. Sounds like Brexit.
georgew

Post by georgew »

al_yrpal wrote:My hope is that the Scots have a legal referendum soon to settle their independence question once and for all. I hope they don't leave the Union but if they do thats their choice. As the recent EU referendum shows referendums dont stop the grumbling losers. The sole purpose of the SNP is to attain independence regardless of the the economic and human cost. I hope Scotlands Yes voters realise that.

Al

I can assure you...that like me... they are hanging on your every word.....seriously.