Too Hot to Cycle

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Too Hot to Cycle

Post by Mick F »

On Friday last week, it was 14degC and dank and dismal. I went for a ride soon after 9am, but when I got out of the valley, it was raining, 12degC and even danker. I should have worn my Goretex and had lights. :shock: I gave up, turned round, and headed home and was rather chilled to the bone.

Today, out and away just before 9am into 25degC morning sunshine. 20miles later, and I got home very very hot and sweaty indeed. 28degC when I got home at 11.30. It's nearly 29degC out there now.

I gather that tomorrow will be a repeat of today, so I may go out for a ride before breakfast - 5am might do it. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Re: Too Hot to Cycle

Post by iandriver »

If it's unusually hot, I usually go for flatter routes where the breeze generated by gliding along stops me overheating. It dawns on me though that this is absolutely of no use to you whatsoever in Cornwall, unless you can get to one of those estuary disused railway type rides.

I did a mere 100k audax in 30 degree plus a couple of years ago. Got through about 8 litres of water!
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just think of those young men in the TDF, unrelenting heat, massive distances and then theres the spectators! You got it easy really… :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Day out to Lyme Regis tomorrow. Will be a bit cooler than inland.
Another advantage of being retired, and I can use my bus pass.

:mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Just think of those young men in the TDF, unrelenting heat, massive distances and then theres the spectators! You got it easy really… :lol:
Yes, but they get paid for it and handsomely too.

I'm doing this for pleasure ......................... and relaxation(?)

......... and give my regards to Lyme Regis. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: .............. I may go out for a ride before breakfast - 5am might do it. :lol:
Yep.
This seems a good idea and I'm all prepared for it.

I'm and early-to-bed-early-to-rise sort of chap, so I'd be quite happy to get up at 04:30 and have a cuppa or two then go out on a spin into the early morning. A good ride of 30miles would take me a couple of hours or so, and I'll be be back home to cook a fry-up of bacon and egg with buttered toast before 8am. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

In four months time, everyone and his dog will be moaning about the cold, wet, miserable weather...with the impending doom of yet another expensive, 'It starts too early' , X Factor/Strictly riddled Christmas on the horizon.

Today, it's hot. low winds, lots of people around here out with their dogs n bikes, kids splashing about in pools, 'smiley happy people having fun' ....

I don't like it......I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

When I suggested to an Indian friend that cycling in Pune must be very uncomfortable he told me that at least movement through the air was cooling. I guess you make your own wind.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Scottishgaucho

Post by Scottishgaucho »

Today was ideal for cycling in my neck of the woods....max 10c overcast with a smir of rain. Brought back memories of summer cycling in Scotland.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just back from summer cycling in Scotland. Man I love this heat. I've thoroughly defrosted now. 7 deg C in summer? Scotland can have their independence if that's their summer!

Seriously though, Scotland was great. No chance of overheating even wrapped up warmer than during winter in Lancashire.

First commute since I got back. It's lovely this nearly 20 degrees at 7 in the morning. New tyres were really noticeable and i got my best time for over a year. I'm going slow on the ride home at 5pm. It'll be a bit too warm for a fast run. Not many hills and they're easy ones. Below 15mph average speed probably 13mph and I'll be fresh while riding. Stop and a few minutes later you notice you're actually very hot. Still it's better than being cold to the core.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I find cycling cooler than walking on a hot day. The breeze in your face, of course. Only on long, slow climbs do I get uncomfortably sticky. And when I stop I try to make it in a shady place.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Left home this morning at shortly after 5am before sunrise. I fitted my lights and headed off into 20degC.
30miles later with 3,000ft of ascent, I made it home at 7:30 with 22degC.
The temp went up and down with the terrain, dropping to 14degC in the valleys.

It was an excellent ride, and fantastic to go for nearly an hour before I saw much traffic.
I must do this more often.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Left home this morning at shortly after 5am before sunrise. I fitted my lights and headed off into 20degC.
30miles later with 3,000ft of ascent, I made it home at 7:30 with 22degC.
The temp went up and down with the terrain, dropping to 14degC in the valleys.

It was an excellent ride, and fantastic to go for nearly an hour before I saw much traffic.
I must do this more often.

is only time to cycle at moment - when sun is up is deadly? I stay inside at moment the heat make me feel un well here in London
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, deadly.
It's 29degC out there and not a cloud in the sky. I'm staying in.
I'm sitting on the settee with all the windows and all the doors open ............. and I'm not wearing much either! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Mick F wrote:Yes, deadly.
It's 29degC out there and not a cloud in the sky. I'm staying in.
I'm sitting on the settee with all the windows and all the doors open ............. and I'm not wearing much either! :oops:

You're all a bunch of wimps :lol: 34Deg today and no wind today, not getting paid for it but an enjoyable 20 mile ride before lunch.