Where were you in '73

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
richardfm

Re: Where were you in '73

Post by richardfm »

I was 12 in 1973. More interested in football than cycling and naturally, living in North Herts, I was a Man United fan. I saw them relegated to the second division and get beaten 5-0 by Crystal Palace. There's not many people who can say that. I also saw Bobby Charlton's last game for United, a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Richard M
Cardiff
scribes

Post by scribes »

In 1973 I was serving in the Royal Naval frigate HMS JAGUAR.
HMS JAGUAR.jpg

download/file.php?mode=view&id=70941
Last edited by scribes on 4 Jun 2020, 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

I was 12 years old, spent any money I earned buying The Beano and Victor comics. My bike was a red Elswick Hopper, a single freewheel. Cycled all over North Herts and even Whipsnade. I remember honking up what i now know to be Bison Hill. Got lost kept asking strangers the way to Breachwood Green where my grandparents lived. I had so much personal freedom and was probably ignorant of risk. A blissful time, and am grateful for those happy days.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Herford, W Germany in this married quarter. Cycled back over last Sept to visit my old haunts.

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrewwillans49 wrote:I was 12 years old, spent any money I earned buying The Beano and Victor comics. My bike was a red Elswick Hopper, a single freewheel. Cycled all over North Herts and even Whipsnade. I remember honking up what i now know to be Bison Hill. Got lost kept asking strangers the way to Breachwood Green where my grandparents lived. I had so much personal freedom and was probably ignorant of risk. A blissful time, and am grateful for those happy days.

A short but joyful post. Thanks. Am just slightly older and from opposite end of the country.
Thanks for reminding me of those innocent carefree times.
Sweep
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I was at Lands End
Attachments
PJBLandsEnd.jpg
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's interesting that this long-running thread from 2008 has been resurrected. It's a pity that so many of the pic's have been taken down, not least because it renders some of the chat meaningless.

I now find myself aged 75 reminiscing about when I was 63 reminiscing about when I was 28 and even younger in the thread drift about Whitby and reflecting whether things were different then.

It's probably my rose-tinted glasses but I can't help feeling that the forum has lost a certain innocence.
Cowsham

Re:

Post by Cowsham »

Si wrote:The only thing that I remember of 1973 was watching Sunderland humble Leeds inthe FA Cup Final :)

I remember that day too cos it was the same day I swam a mile in the local swimming pool. I was 9 years old and felt like I'd done the channel.

I loved my Triumph 'Jack of Clubs' racer --- resprayed it a terrible metallic brown colour ( think it was all I had) from it's original red/purpley wine colour. Great owl bike.
I am here. Where are you?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:It's interesting that this long-running thread from 2008 has been resurrected. It's a pity that so many of the pic's have been taken down, not least because it renders some of the chat meaningless.

I now find myself aged 75 reminiscing about when I was 63 reminiscing about when I was 28 and even younger in the thread drift about Whitby and reflecting whether things were different then.

It's probably my rose-tinted glasses but I can't help feeling that the forum has lost a certain innocence.

It is perhaps the Internet itself that has lost innocence too?
People now know (or should know) about the power of the internet to profile and store.

Throw in the scammers and crooks and it looks less innocent than more than a decade ago.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

scribes wrote:In 1973 I was serving in the Royal Naval frigate HMS JAGUAR.
:D
We were in Singapore in '71 in Achilles, and Jag was across the other side of the basin. Mate of mine as an REM was on her then, by name of Dixie Dean. We had been in the same class at Raleigh.
Dixie is front row far left.
I'm middle row 4th from left.
Raleigh.jpg

The Cat Class frigates - more correctly Leopard Class - had a gunnery radar nicknamed "the eyeballs in the sky" for obvious reasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard-class_frigate
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Riding the Tricycle Association National Championship 25 mile time trial. This was the first year and attracted a field of 120 riders plus numerous observers. Probably around 150 trikes out at that event. Me, just short of my 21st birthday.
Scan_20200605.jpg
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

June '73 - doing an 'End-to-End' in France, better described as doing a 'threepenny bit in France' (remember them?).

5260 km in 33 days, camping all the way. About 10% faster than I can still do it today! On my own, so sadly no photograph.

Ah yes, very happy days.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's one of me in June 1973 at "Tally Ho!" Birmingham City Police Training Centre

scan081 Correction.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Which is you please, and who are the others?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm the one pictured a couple of times earlier in the thread. The others are staff at the training school and other students on the course.