Windows 10 is not a Green operating system

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Windows 10 is not a Green operating system

Post by mercalia »

windows 10 is a green operating system, not at the moment

So much for advances in technology. I have been comparing Windows 8.1 and 10 regarding power useage on an old Core Quad system. What I have found that at more or less idle 8.1 uses 60 watts and 10, 70 watts - 10 watts more, hardly an advance. Think of the effect worldwide with those billions of installations? It seems the culprits are the standard apps like News, Mail & Calendar, Store, Settings and others that maintain a ghost like presence inspite of doing all I can to turn them off - dont run the in background, nor on the lock screen or dont run live tiles. I found this out by accident from using Altdesk, a windows virtual desktop that hasnt been customised for 10 ( it is a floating segmented task bar ) and shows up these other wise ghostly apps at work: I am able to kill them temporalily but they keep on coming back after a time, thats how I suspected they were responsible for the power excess, ( kill them see the power meter ) I am using the standard Windows 10 build upto date not the latest anniversary build. So back to Windows 8.1 for me ( with Classic Shell to make it look like Windows 7 ), the corresponding apps there dont show up in Altdesk behave better. I bet I must be one of the few to think that 8.1 is better than 10 :lol: