Boom or gloom? The economic verdict on Brexit - so far

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Boom or gloom? The economic verdict on Brexit - so far

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:
kwackers wrote:
iandriver wrote:Not convinced the currency has made a huge difference to me. I'm sure there are percentage points here and there, but nothing life changing.

No, I'm sure it hasn't.
Had you been on the breadline though...

My rough calculations suggest it's cost me about 20k. Not as much as the 2008 crash cost me but then I don't struggle to find the money for bread either.

As for tourism. I believe debt is highest in seaside resorts - but presumably you meant a different type of tourism???

All factors that are mostly influenced by years of stagnant wage growth and austerity. That's been going on for years. Pretty much zero to do with brexit and brexit won't change those peoples circumstances.

It wont go anywatyvto helping them though will it?
It's the young who'll suffer the most by the stupidity of Brexit and the political morons in charge of it.
YVMV mine wont unless proven otherwise.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

francovendee wrote:No need to do that Chris Grayling says the UK farmers will just produce more :roll:
More on "Failing Grayling's" exploits: now even the farmers (not noted for their anti-Br****it stance) have rubbished his idea.

So it's a given, now? Grayling will be appointed Min of Ag in the forthcoming reshuffle, in which Hammond will get the (leopardskin) boot and Johnson gets promoted to Secretary of State for ("pick any job you like Boris but stop bugging me") Whatever...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:
kwackers wrote:No, I'm sure it hasn't.
Had you been on the breadline though...

My rough calculations suggest it's cost me about 20k. Not as much as the 2008 crash cost me but then I don't struggle to find the money for bread either.

As for tourism. I believe debt is highest in seaside resorts - but presumably you meant a different type of tourism???

All factors that are mostly influenced by years of stagnant wage growth and austerity. That's been going on for years. Pretty much zero to do with brexit and brexit won't change those peoples circumstances.

It wont go anywatyvto helping them though will it?
It's the young who'll suffer the most by the stupidity of Brexit and the political morons in charge of it.
YVMV mine wont unless proven otherwise.

i don't disagree. I see it as pointless at best. Many of the factors like housing costs etc. that are really big issues to the young won't change a bit either in or out. It's one giant distraction from what's really broken IMHO.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cyclingcommuter

Post by Cyclingcommuter »

iandriver wrote:My gut reaction is for most of us, to any intent or purpose, nothing will really change on a daily basis. So far it's all a bit of a damp squib really. I suspect it will continue to be for many of us.

I work for a large and very successful multinational company with thousands of uk employees.

Brexit, I can assure you, is not a damp squib.

Right now, on projects I work on, we are making decisions, and Brexit has a very real, material effect on those decisions.

These can be quite mundane; "which of these laboratories shall we use for our tests?" And the answer is easy - we'll use the German one, as we know the EU will continue to accept their results in two years. Seriously - UK businesses are not even getting a foot in the door as a direct result of Brexit.

They can also be very big decisions: "where shall we invest the $250 million for a new manufacturing technology". That one is currently merely "on hold"

All across European industry similar small and large decisions are being made. They won't cause a sudden crash, but a steady drip drip drip of lost opportunity.

Economically, Brexit is a slow burn disaster for the UK. Directly or indirectly, we will all be affected.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Paulatic wrote:Just demonstrates how ignorant some of these, so called intelligent, guys are.

I must have missed when anyone called grayling intelligent!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:I went for my usual barrow-load of medication last week and they couldn't dispense everything so I'm going back this afternoon. Pharmacist said there were various reasons for these supply problems but he said pharmacy companies preparing for brexit was one.

My first (Pfizer-made) and second choice medications (Bristol Myers) are now completely out of stock in the UK. Not just delayed, but unavailable for the forseeable (generally a few months). Each time the supply is interrupted, it involves at least the pharmacist, surgery administration and a doctor all handling the prescription to amend it, plus me making an extra trip to the surgery (as it's not an ordinary repeat that I can just request online - I'm not allowed to have the ability to order multiple medications that basically have the same function, which is presumably to avoid overdosing) and a second trip to the pharmacy. Maybe a few minutes extra for each of the NHS staff and another hour off work for me?

If this is widespread across many medications, it must be adding up to quite some impact on both the NHS (through all the staff having to handle the change) and the wider economy (as workers have to make more pharmacy and surgery visits).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

Brexit isnt until 2019*

*Or 2021 if you want something more substantive than just a name change. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd