Calais Jungle to be dismantled?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Calais Jungle to be dismantled?

Post by mercalia »

Hopefully?

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160902/france-vows-to-pull-down-calais-jungle-migrant-camp

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told a regional paper that he would press ahead with the closure "with the greatest determination", dismantling the site in stages while creating accommodation for thousands elsewhere in France "to unblock Calais".

long over do. but expect resistance?

when they have gone should flood the area to stop them coming back?
pwa

Re: Calais Jungle to be dismantled?

Post by pwa »

You have to feel some sympathy with the people of Calais. The problem does not belong to them. It does not belong to France and it does not belong to the UK. But it exists and has to be managed. To me the camp looks like people waiting to commit the illegal act of trying to cross a border without the required authorisation. Maybe the French need new legislation to keep homeless migrants well away from ports.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The number of travellers now avoiding Calais, the terror attacks in France and the recent attacks on lorries with tree blockades has finally woken the French up. Their pockets must be feeling the pinch.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Dafydd17

Post by Dafydd17 »

al_yrpal wrote: has finally woken the French up.Al

What are the French supposed to wake up to, exactly? The fact that the English have been happy to let them deal with the problem for so long, and it's now time to stop? Perhaps it's time for the English to wake up...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Dafydd17 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: has finally woken the French up.Al

What are the French supposed to wake up to, exactly? The fact that the English have been happy to let them deal with the problem for so long, and it's now time to stop? Perhaps it's time for the English to wake up...

not a uk problem
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Actually the problem should be in free country of entry into.the EU. IIRC France could legally deport them to that country wherever it is. Indeed other countries do deport. I saw on tv one camp resident saying that they've.been fingerprinted in another country (can't remember which) and that means France and UK should he get in.could legally deport back there.

Whatever the case they're in France, entered from another EU country, so should they get caught entering UK then I'd bet any asylum claim would be passed back to France along with the claimant. It's French problem as long as they don't send them back to entry country.

Of course I could have gotten the wrong end of the stick with the EU migrant/asylum claim procedure. No.matter what it is, if there was any way France could pass the problem on to UK they'd have cleared the camp by paying for their ferry ticket for all residents. That makes it their problem in my book.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Horrific crash as jungle migrant gangs target tourists in cars �� http://dailym.ai/2c3sJDn via @MailOnline
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:Horrific crash as jungle migrant gangs target tourists in cars �� http://dailym.ai/2c3sJDn via @MailOnline

I hope and expect this will be a turning point, no more woolly minded hands off approach by the French. Time the camp was cleared by force using water cannon if necessary. The camp is an affront to law and order and should never have been allowed to exist. The toleration of camps such as this have created false hope and has drawn the migrants into Europe & made them think they can go where they please and get what they want. Crazy.

Now we know the system -

"French officials and hospital staff confirmed that migrants are deliberately causing accidents to create traffic tailbacks on the N216 motorway into the ferry port, and the A16 to the Channel Tunnel. "

The idea isnt to get into the car/bus attacked but those that stopped behind
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Tourists returning to Britain face huge delays after go-slow protest http://dailym.ai/2c3w9WL via @MailOnline

MoS man chillingly tells how he narrowly avoided death http://dailym.ai/2bYBf1P via @MailOnline

More lies

Al
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Links to the Daily Mail, well we all know that might as well be called the Daily Heil.

How dare you judge these people! They are desperate and fleeing war. Given the chance, they will become just as upright and productive as any other member of British society.

It is only bigotry and racism that stops you from seeing their enormous potential.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Freddie wrote:Links to the Daily Mail, well we all know that might as well be called the Daily Heil.

How dare you judge these people! They are desperate and fleeing war. Given the chance, they will become just as upright and productive as any other member of British society.

It is only bigotry and racism that stops you from seeing their enormous potential.

We'll keep blocking Calais unless Britain stops fining us over migrants, say French truckers http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... s-over-mi/ via @telegraphnews

No bigotry or racism from me, just personal angst from my daughter's experience. It's time this awful situation was sorted in the most humane way possible.

Al
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Freddie wrote:Links to the Daily Mail, well we all know that might as well be called the Daily Heil.

:roll:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think there isn't a solution other than letting them into the UK. It's where they are desperate to get to, for what ever reason, and putting them in camps will not stop their efforts to get across the Channel. Once there they know they are onto a winner, far better than if they remain in France.
I wouldn't expect too much help from the French on preventing this when we aren't part of the EU. The French have enough of there own problems with terrorism and may welcome the exit of these people even though they aren't terrorists.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Al, I thought the sarcasm was heavy enough that you might have caught it. :wink: