** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote: .......We are behind many places in Europe with regard to cycling infrastructure and facilities.
We can learn from them, mistakes and success!

But have we and will we ever?
Personally I hope so but looking at the past 40+years I doubt it,sorry to be cynical and all that but that's how I feel about it,and the same goes for the environment around us....

BTW,I don't every get sick of your posts on the subject :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm still as exhilarated and happy about this as I was on the morning of June 24th last year.
No need to worry. If Englandshire strikes some sort of trade deal with the US of A, your supply of Prozac should be secured up till the end of the century.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
radek

Post by radek »

Indeed, a lot of EU countries give good examples of how to be cycling friendly - Netherlands are amazing in this respect. I am really annoyed when I hear again and again about NHS and how it struggles to 'fix' sick people... Build more cycling roads, improve road safety, encourage cycling culture and more people will jump on bicycles and thus become healthier or in other words they will fix themselves :)

I am worries that Brexit will indeed lead to a US model of health and well-being in which masses of people consume and consume and get sick and then become dependent of pharmaceutical companies...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

As a relative newcomer, you probably haven't worked your way through much of this thread (nor have I!) - but you may have noticed a mixture of the flippant, the serious, the prejudiced, and the frankly absurd....

OK, to be serious for once. If I'm reading the news reports right, more and more people are coming round to the realisation of what a monstrosity we've hatched in this whole sorry affair. Why oh why do people persist in the notion that a one-shot plebiscite, held under a climate of extreme disinformation, sounding out a fickle public .... why should this be taken as 'cast in stone'?

Ed Miliband 'cast in stone' his election pledges, didn't he? Didn't work out too well for him.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

radek wrote:
I am worries that Brexit will indeed lead to a US model of health and well-being in which masses of people consume and consume and get sick and then become dependent of pharmaceutical companies...

I'm not worried about that at all.

When we leave the EU we will be able to choose all our laws on health care and everything else.

If we get laws I don't like I can campaign to get them changed and vote to get rid of the government which made them. We change our governments frequently and so UK politicians need to take note of public opinion. The chance of my vote in an EU election influencing any laws the rubber stamp EU parliament passes is effectively zero, and it is this lack of voter influence which makes the EU a big favourite of authoritarian, technocratic elites and big business.

The UK chose the NHS model of health care long before we joined the EU, and all other EU countries have not followed our example.

I see no reason whatsoever for UK people to give foreigners any say in how we run our country, our healthcare system included.

Brexit eliminates foreign influence in our law making giving us the freedom to make all our own laws about everything.

Anyone who has a problem with that should emigrate to the EU so that they can be subject to the foreign made laws they so admire.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

radek wrote:Indeed, a lot of EU countries give good examples of how to be cycling friendly - Netherlands are amazing in this respect. I am really annoyed when I hear again and again about NHS and how it struggles to 'fix' sick people... Build more cycling roads, improve road safety, encourage cycling culture and more people will jump on bicycles and thus become healthier or in other words they will fix themselves :)

How can you possibly link brexit to a "US model of health and well-being"? You would think that the NHS did not exist before we joined the common market.
What has this "Indeed, a lot of EU countries give good examples of how to be cycling friendly" got to do with brexit? We are still in the EU....honest!. If we are not cycling friendly now (your opinion) how has brexit caused it?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I can't wait for new year's day when I can say we are leaving the EU next year.

Anyone else feel like I do?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Latest Brexit news.

Many Remain voters now largely agree that Brexit should mean the UK taking full control over its borders, leaving the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, and paying only a small "divorce bill" to the EU, according to major new academic research.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/rema ... .ka0qYR9ZD
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

blackbike wrote:Latest Brexit news.

Many Remain voters now largely agree that Brexit should mean the UK taking full control over its borders, leaving the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, and paying only a small "divorce bill" to the EU, according to major new academic research.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/rema ... .ka0qYR9ZD

neither Remain or Leave voters were showing signs of regretting how they voted, it appeared Remain voters were not unified behind a soft Brexit.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:
radek wrote:

When we leave the EU we will be able to choose all our laws on health care and everything else.

If we get laws I don't like I can campaign to get them changed and vote to get rid of the government which made them. We change our governments frequently and so UK politicians need to take note of public opinion.....

You mean just like you can with the EU, you can campaign to get laws changed you don't like. And just as you can vote out your MEPs if you don't like them.

So what's different other than a "label" and a city.

Ian
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Psamathe wrote:
blackbike wrote:
radek wrote:

If we get laws I don't like I can campaign to get them changed and vote to get rid of the government which made them. We change our governments frequently and so UK politicians need to take note of public opinion.....

You mean just like you can with the EU, you can campaign to get laws changed you don't like. And just as you can vote out your MEPs if you don't like them.

So what's different other than a "label" and a city.

Ian

If the rest of the EU want it, we can campaign as much as we want it's going to happen. How many people know who their MEP is? How many care? To consider it just a matter of a "label" and a "city" os ridiculous.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

blackbike wrote:I can't wait for new year's day when I can say we are leaving the EU next year.

Anyone else feel like I do?

+17, 410, 741
pete75

Post by pete75 »

blackbike wrote:Brexit eliminates foreign influence in our law making giving us the freedom to make all our own laws about everything.

Rupert Murdoch told Theresa May to put Michael Gove back in the cabinet which she duly did. You think his influence will stop when we leave the EU?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

pete75 wrote:
blackbike wrote:Brexit eliminates foreign influence in our law making giving us the freedom to make all our own laws about everything.

Rupert Murdoch told Theresa May to put Michael Gove back in the cabinet which she duly did. You think his influence will stop when we leave the EU?

How do you know that?
What has Murdoch got to do with EU laws?
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

661-Pete wrote:As a relative newcomer, you probably haven't worked your way through much of this thread (nor have I!) - but you may have noticed a mixture of the flippant, the serious, the prejudiced, and the frankly absurd....

OK, to be serious for once. If I'm reading the news reports right, more and more people are coming round to the realisation of what a monstrosity we've hatched in this whole sorry affair. Why oh why do people persist in the notion that a one-shot plebiscite, held under a climate of extreme disinformation, sounding out a fickle public .... why should this be taken as 'cast in stone'?

Ed Miliband 'cast in stone' his election pledges, didn't he? Didn't work out too well for him.....

Clearly the "one-shot plebiscite" didn't support your views, now if it had you would be typing "sounding out a stable and reliable public".
Do you apply the same rules to elections? I expect you do. Democracy is okay as long as it goes your way.