** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by kwackers »

It was always going to be the case that brexit would be a **** up.
It was always going to be the case that when it was the EU would be blamed, this was always going to be the standard 'get out' clause for supporters of brexit.

The thing is, if you're a supporter of brexit you can't get out of it that easily. You were told the EU wouldn't make it easy, you were told they would need to dissuade other countries from leaving and so we couldn't expect any special treatment.
You were told all this and yet chose to leave so the problem isn't what the EU are doing - it's that you made the decision with the foreknowledge that they would do this and still chose to leave.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:It was always going to be the case that brexit would be a f'up.
It was always going to be the case that when it was the EU would be blamed, this was always going to be the standard 'get out' clause for supporters of brexit.

The thing is, if you're a supporter of brexit you can't get out of it that easily. You were told the EU wouldn't make it easy, you were told they would need to dissuade other countries from leaving and so we couldn't expect any special treatment.
You were told all this and yet chose to leave so the problem isn't what the EU are doing - it's that you made the decision with the foreknowledge that they would do this and still chose to leave.

When you look at what the EU are doing it is exactly what we would expect. The official EU Brexit negotiations guidelines
European integration has brought peace and prosperity to Europe and allowed for an unprecedented level and scope of cooperation on matters of common interest in a rapidly changing world. Therefore, the Union's overall objective in these negotiations will be to preserve its interests, those of its citizens, its businesses and its Member States.

If we were remaining but a different member state leaving we'd be kicking up if the guidelines were NOT what they are - we'd be screaming about how it is their decision to leave and as a remaining member we must protect our own interests ...

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:.....If we were remaining but a different member state leaving we'd be kicking up if the guidelines were NOT what they are - we'd be screaming about how it is their decision to leave and as a remaining member we must protect our own interests ...

Ian

That is waaayyyy to simple of an analogy for the Brexit mind to comprehend.
They can only see the outsiders POV because that's all they ever wanted to be.
They never envisiged ever being part of the whole because they only ever saw themselves as the centre piece,and it will eat them alive when they finally see themselves for what they are,a small and insignificant country off the coast of the whole.
The worst of that is that the rest of us will be dragged down that tradgic downward spiral with them,it'll be a hard stuggle on that road.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

German EU bureaucrat calls our Brexit decision stupid.

<b>....in Brussels the influential chief of staff to the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, called the vote for Brexit “stupid”.
Martin Selmayr used a conference in Brussels to say: “Brexit is bad, and it’s a stupid decision.</b>

Wonderful stuff.

Insulting people who disagree with your views is a sure fire way to damage your own cause as both the Remain referendum campaign and Hillary Clinton found out last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-predicts
pete75

Post by pete75 »

blackbike wrote:German EU bureaucrat calls our Brexit decision stupid.

<b>....in Brussels the influential chief of staff to the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, called the vote for Brexit “stupid”.
Martin Selmayr used a conference in Brussels to say: “Brexit is bad, and it’s a stupid decision.</b>

Wonderful stuff.

Insulting people who disagree with your views is a sure fire way to damage your own cause as both the Remain referendum campaign and Hillary Clinton found out last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-predicts

Yes but you've got to realise that telling people the truth isn't an insult. You appear to regard it as one when it's not a truth you want to hear.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:...
Insulting people who disagree with your views is a sure fire way to damage your own cause as both the Remain referendum campaign and Hillary Clinton found out last year....

Maybe you should tell that to Davis, Fox, Blobby and see if they stop it (though I can't see them stopping).

Ian
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Things are progressing satisfactorily.

It is going to be a hard Brexit.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

kwackers wrote:It was always going to be the case that brexit would be a **** up.

Yes we chose to leave.

And we are leaving.

What's the problem?

Do you think people who voted leave expected the EU to accept our decision without disappointment, anger and obstructiveness?

We knew exactly what would happen.

In recent years we have seen how the EU has dealt with referendum decisions it didn't like.

But it has met its match this time.

The British people won't be bullied into reversing their decision.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

One day closer to Brexit.

Good to see that a hard Brexit is becoming more inevitable by the day.

I hope the anti-Brexit protesters had a nice day out in London today.
mjr

Post by mjr »

blackbike wrote:Do you think people who voted leave expected the EU to accept our decision without disappointment, anger and obstructiveness?

Does anyone really think that that's the problem, more than old "Strong and Stable", Bodge, Brexit Bulldog and Werrity's Friend?

blackbike wrote:We knew exactly what would happen.

At least there we agree. A complete clusterf with country-hating Brextremists trying to shift blame to the EU, while Farage concentrates on more important things like Trump and attending far-right rallies in Germany.

blackbike wrote:In recent years we have seen how the EU has dealt with referendum decisions it didn't like.

Compromised a bit and sought approval again, wasn't it?

Unlike May's government that tried to deal with a 52-48 mandate it didn't like with a snap election in the hope of getting a 70-30 mandate without compromising... and that went as well as you'd expect, giving them a thumping new 49-51 mandate (of seats) ;-) May has no democratic authority for the damage she is now inflicting, including the current ministerial power-grab attempt instead of returning the sovereignty delegated to the EU back to parliament.

blackbike wrote:But it has met its match this time.

Please, stop quoting the Brexit Bulldog! It's too painfully funny! If I wasn't crying at the harm being done to my country, I'd be laughing!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:.....
blackbike wrote:But it has met its match this time.

Please, stop quoting the Brexit Bulldog! It's too painfully funny! If I wasn't crying at the harm being done to my country, I'd be laughing!

In the supermarket yesterday I suddenly realised we [parts of UK] are living in parallel Universes ... when I saw the headline
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/852156/Brexit-divorce-bill-EU-never-get-billions wrote:'We've got them on the ropes!' Why EU will NEVER get its £90bn Brexit divorce bill

BRITAIN is winning the Brexit negotiations and personal attacks by Brussels simply prove the EU “doesn’t like it up them”, say Government insiders.

I beggars belief the rubbish some will believe contrary to all evidence and common sense.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:In the supermarket yesterday I suddenly realised we [parts of UK] are living in parallel Universes ... when I saw the headline
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/852156/Brexit-divorce-bill-EU-never-get-billions wrote:'We've got them on the ropes!' Why EU will NEVER get its £90bn Brexit divorce bill

BRITAIN is winning the Brexit negotiations and personal attacks by Brussels simply prove the EU “doesn’t like it up them”, say Government insiders.

I beggars belief the rubbish some will believe contrary to all evidence and common sense.

That's the right-wing press for you. Completely missing the meaning of many jokes in Dad's Army because they're still fighting the colonial wars that were going on when they started up, but now with the EU as imaginary modern "fuzzy-wuzzies". They've still yet to move past the loss of Empire and the possibility of there being many overlapping commonwealths, including the EU.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I read one article from the BBC News website ( or was it the Guardian ) ( you lot all read it on Twitter 2 days ago I suppose ) that the EU might be more conciliatory as when we leave 80% of NATO's forces in Europe will then no longer be part of the EU at a time when Russia is rattling sabres. Must say the number surprised me - is France still not in Nato?
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:I read one article from the BBC News website ( or was it the Guardian ) ( you lot all read it on Twitter 2 days ago I suppose ) that the EU might be more conciliatory as when we leave 80% of NATO's forces in Europe will then no longer be part of the EU at a time when Russia is rattling sabres. Must say the number surprised me - is France still not in Nato?

The author sounds clueless because NATO has no forces of its own. More detail on how this treaty organisation works at http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_50316.htm

The UK's total armed forces are currently fewer than Portugal and although our active military is larger than Portugal's (most countries have larger reserves, plus we don't have a paramilitary force), Italy, France and Germany all have more active military personnel at the moment.

It may all depend what they mean by "NATO's forces in Europe" - I considered that maybe they meant forces contributed to the only current NATO operation in Europe, KFOR in Kosovo, but that's not currently true, as the UK only has one token member there, while Italy has over 2000. So I don't know.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Junker has learnt nothing from the UK leaving the EU - back to normal and Farage maybe for the first time has a point - The EU hasnt learnt anything, just shrugs it shoulders.

"But, speaking in the same debate, ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage said the EU had "learnt nothing" from Brexit and was ploughing "full steam ahead"."

That more than half those in the UK who voted, voted to leave the EU, should have meant a great deal of soul searching amongst the eurocrats - hasnt it seems just the typical autocratic attitude for which the continent it has a great deal of history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41252653