** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by bovlomov »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
Vorpal wrote:A series of posts were removed or modified because of personal remarks.

Seeking clarification. Personal remarks about fellow forum users are forbidden, but can I still make personal remarks about Michael Gove?

One hopes positive comments are allowed

I admit, it hadn't crossed my mind that somebody would want to make positive comments about Gove. I'm all ears.

[...expects tumbleweed....]
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote: .......[...expects tumbleweed....]

Lots of......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If anyone would like to comment further on moderation, please take it up via pm, with Graham, or other forum staff.

Thanks.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The power of the sword!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't need to elaborate on what I suggested earlier.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I would second that 661-Pete as threads like this are turning people away from Cycling UK and is in danger of making a laughing stock of the whole organisation.
Had a good laugh at our coffee shop stop this morning, really happy atmosphere which is what cycling is about in my opinion. The unreasonably high price of the coffee was touched on briefly but we all felt that it was worth the extra quid over the price of a cup of tea as the Tea Shop we went to last ride seemed to be frequented by disgruntled moaners.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Bowedw wrote:I would second that 661-Pete as threads like this are turning people away from Cycling UK and is in danger of making a laughing stock of the whole organisation.
Had a good laugh at our coffee shop stop this morning, really happy atmosphere which is what cycling is about in my opinion. The unreasonably high price of the coffee was touched on briefly but we all felt that it was worth the extra quid over the price of a cup of tea as the Tea Shop we went to last ride seemed to be frequented by disgruntled moaners.

It's just like any other thread if one is not interested or has little or nothing sensible to contribute then don't read it. Very simple.

The price of coffee is linked to the weak pound, which is in large part caused by Brexit.

Tea remains the favourite of the moaning Brits of course.
And rightly so.
The cup that cheers but does not inebriate?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Maybe after all I do need to explain further.

I am not bothered by the existence of this thread per se. Needless to say I've read very little of it (who on earth is going to willingly plough through over 400 pages of, mostly, utter drivel? :lol: ). If people want to debate the subject in a civilised way, let them!

I am bothered about the fact that it may be giving the Mods extra work and diverting them off checking over other threads. Another thread had to be moderated recently and all credit to the Mods for doing their job! But they can't be everywhere all the time!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:

Lots of......

He's someone in government who can actually make things happen, unlike many (most?). Not saying that the outcomes are right or wrong, but he definitely deserves credit for that.

He stopped Boris becoming PM.

We are much in his debt.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It's just like any other thread if one is not interested or has little or nothing sensible to contribute then don't read it. Very simple.
For this thread, that seems too high a standard. After all, our prime minister has nothing sensible to say on the subject.

I see today she was in Northern Ireland to tell the locals how much she is strengthening the union by ignoring how they voted. (Has she been to Scotland recently to say the same?)
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Lots of......

He's someone in government who can actually make things happen, unlike many (most?). Not saying that the outcomes are right or wrong, but he definitely deserves credit for that.

If the outcomes are wrong then he deserves no credit. The only good thing I've ever heard about Gove is that he wasn't the worst Justice Secretary. He was preceded in the post by Grayling, so that might not be saying much.

He stopped Boris becoming PM.

We are much in his debt.

Boris got in the way of Gove's ambition. It wasn't as if his knifing of Boris had any honour.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've heard plenty of good things about Gove's contributions so hold a diametrically opposite view to you, despite he not being of a political persuasion I am comfortable with.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Bonefishblues wrote:I've heard plenty of good things about Gove's contributions so hold a diametrically opposite view to you, despite he not being of a political persuasion I am comfortable with.

Gove is friendly with Rupert Murdoch, so there'll be a few positive stories in his papers, and Gove's wife writes good things about her husband in her Daily Mail column. I haven't read much good about him, and the bad things are pretty bad. Apart from the long history of dishonesty and fact-bending, his involvement with Vote Leave's illegal campaign should debar him from ever holding public office.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Not saying that the outcomes are right or wrong, but he definitely deserves credit for that."

Credit for a bad outcome? Like saying Mussolini was a fine chap....he made he trains run on time. Not in my book. Stalin made hard decisions that were totally delivered (he decided for example that "kulaks" would be reduced to 0% of the population. They were. He had them slaughtered). Doesn't merit "credit". Thatcher decided that the organised working class would go much the same way as the kulaks......I see no merit in her achievement.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

djnotts wrote:Like saying Mussolini was a fine chap....he made he trains run on time.
This is a myth, apparently...