** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I’ve been enjoying being totally out of touch with the news (and having to profusely appologise to completely bewildered europeans).
Ian

Welcome back!

Not actually back. In Netherlands at the moment and looks like I’m heading east - at least tomorrow it’s east (decisions not being made in advance; late each day I decide destination for next day). I just poped back to update my previous glowing report on the Wahoo Elemnt - I’d hate somebody to read my comments and buy one after my experiences with the toy (over the last 5 weeks).

But I did buy a Helinox Ground Chair yesterday and I’m ready to write a glowing report about that.

But back on topic, I did see a surprising number of these on British cars/vans/etc. https://www.zazzle.co.uk/im_sorry_eu_bumper_sticker_in_french-128235211403104029 but mainly in north eastern France.

Ian
Debs

Post by Debs »

Psamathe wrote:
But back on topic, I did see a surprising number of these on British cars/vans/etc. https://www.zazzle.co.uk/im_sorry_eu_bumper_sticker_in_french-128235211403104029 but mainly in north eastern France.

Ian

The bumper sticker message is ambiguous, i don't understand the point of apologising for voting Remain.

It's Leave voters that need to apologise.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Debs wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

The bumper sticker message is ambiguous, i don't understand the point of apologising for voting Remain.

I read it with the comma relevant i.e. I’m sorry, I voted remain. (i.e. appologising for the UK but sort of “don’t blame me”) and that’s how French I’ve spoken to about it interpret it.

I agree it’s leave voters that need to appologise but for people driving a vehicle with a GB plate, I assume it’s a way of saying they are not part of “remain”.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Quite likely most German French Italian people do not think or concern themselves much about b****t, they will still be part of the huge European family
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/h ... d-and-why/
"The demographics
•The older the voters, the more likely they were to have voted to leave the EU. Nearly three quarters (73%) of 18 to 24 year-olds voted to remain, falling to under two thirds (62%) among 25-34s. A majority of those aged over 45 voted to leave, rising to 60% of those aged 65 or over. Most people with children aged ten or under voted to remain; most of those with children aged 11 or older voted to leave."

Not sure why that is?
Well if the parents are 45 and over might explain that.
Also if you are over 45 you might not have had a god education.............like me.

"•A majority (57%) of those with a university degree voted to remain, as did 64% of those with a higher degree and more than four in five (81%) of those still in full time education. Among those whose formal education ended at secondary school or earlier, a large majority voted to leave."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Quite likely most German French Italian people do not think or concern themselves much about b****t, they will still be part of the huge European family

It’s the Dutch that I’ve met who seem most concerned. Of course the few (of all European nationalities) you meet and talk to on a tour is neither representative nor significant numbers, but definately the Dutch most concerned. French seem bemused, can’t understand (and probably can’t be bothered too much as it will damage the UK far far more than the remaining EU member states). But I’d certainly not claim my experience to be representative of any national opinions.

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Also if you are over 45 you might not have had a god education.............like me.

Like you, me and about 99% of the population - old and young. It cuts across income and class. The elite are just as crappily educated as the poor, though perhaps in a different crappy way.

I presume that's a typo [good not god].
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Debs wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

To understand that sticker properly (and I know nothing of its provenance), you need to understand the exact meaning of the word désolé(e). It does not translate exactly as "sorry" in the sense of offering an apology for something. More precisely, it expresses a sense of regret, a way of saying "I wish it were otherwise".

To offer a quick apology, e.g. after accidentally bumping into someone, you'd normally say "pardon" (as in English) or "pardonnez-moi".
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Peut-etre the sticker is meant to be ambigious, to have a certain je ne sais qua :wink:

"Dommage, nous allons"
Sorry, we are going
Debs

Post by Debs »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Also if you are over 45 you might not have had a god education.............like me.

Do you mean to say that under 45s receive celestial enlightenment? :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

So no none has anything to give me hope the UK will be better off or even the same after we leave the EU.
Why are we doing it then?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Quite likely most German French Italian people do not think or concern themselves much about b****t, they will still be part of the huge European family

It’s the Dutch that I’ve met who seem most concerned. Of course the few (of all European nationalities) you meet and talk to on a tour is neither representative nor significant numbers, but definately the Dutch most concerned. French seem bemused, can’t understand (and probably can’t be bothered too much as it will damage the UK far far more than the remaining EU member states). But I’d certainly not claim my experience to be representative of any national opinions.

Ian

Nederland is a small country that does a lot of trade with Britain
It would be really great if there was much less trade, trucks full of flowers for example, surely flowers can be grown in the UK just as well
Not sure if a thistle is a flower but an arrangement of thistles looks great
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

reohn2 wrote:So no none has anything to give me hope the UK will be better off or even the same after we leave the EU.

Simple. Because a few rich neo-fascists who want to be evn richer played on prejudices and stupidity, pointed to the EU as the source of our troubles (rather than have the finger pointing at themselvse!) and TOLD the gullible and plain racist that leaving "would make everything better". Never underestimate the stupidity of those of low intelligence.
jezer

Post by jezer »

djnotts wrote:
reohn2 wrote:So no none has anything to give me hope the UK will be better off or even the same after we leave the EU.

Simple. Because a few rich neo-fascists who want to be evn richer played on prejudices and stupidity, pointed to the EU as the source of our troubles (rather than have the finger pointing at themselvse!) and TOLD the gullible and plain racist that leaving "would make everything better". Never underestimate the stupidity of those of low intelligence.

Spot on, Brexit in a nutshell.
Power to the pedals
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Debs wrote:

Do you mean to say that under 45s receive celestial enlightenment? :wink:

I am over 45, went to one of the best schools in the country, they tried to stuff me with shakespeare, algebra, Latin, put me off for many years
Decades later my interest in learning returned, now I am very smart :wink: