** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Bonefishblues »

merseymouth wrote:Hello again, I will aim a stone at a single point. The Euro Zone membership was supposed to only available to nations whose economic position made them compliant with the conditions of entry.
Several countries signed up, probably with their fingers crossed, because there was truth in their statement of their financial liquidity,
The result was a series of bailouts, very costly even for the UK which is not, nor has been a part of the Euro Zone. en
A full declaration of the true state of things within the EU will never appear, isn't that reason enough to say enough is enough?
MM

The Greek bailout was nothing of the kind. Read Adults in the Room by Yanis Varoufakis for a fascinating insider's view of Greek entry to the Euro, the so-called bailouts, and the machinations associated with same. Pay the postage and I'll send you mine, if you'll similarly pass it on! (Or anyone else who'd be interested, for that matter)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

meic wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The final outcome will be clear in a few decades
Until then all is speculation

I wonder whether it would be worth praying, yes, I shall try that

The GB Pound has fallen against the US dollar from 2.4 to 1.4 while we have been in the EU, does that mean the EU was a dismal failure?
We will NEVER know if the other path was better or worse because we will only take the one path.
Remaining in the EU may have led to some fate far worse.

Just as if Trump was not elected, Hilary Clinton could have already got us into WW3 by now.

The pound also fell against the Euro.
Especially since the vote to leave.

The dollar remained relatively and surprisingly strong. Maybe Obama's policys?

Oil is priced in dollars of course!

Much of the pound's weakness stems from 2008.
When the UK bankers showed how poor they were at sums.
It was the American based Lehman Brothers collapse that actually caused the whole pack of cards to collapse.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 7 Aug 2018, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that people have started hoarding tinned food
One should have several tinopeners and the means to heat the food, some things are not so palatable cold

Dry goods, cereals, dried fruit, ryvita keep well too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Watching a debate on the TV about the second "People's Vote"

Is there actually in point in doing so

We signed an Article 50 document that said we were leaving.

So let us assume that there was a vote and it was to remain in the EU

1. Under section 3 of Article 50 we may not have the choice unless the EU Council agrees to extent the date. If they don't we are out regardless of he vote

2 Under section 4 we are not allowed to take part in discussions about the withdrawal so have no input into any decision to extend.

3. As we have technically withdrawn, and there is no extension, we may need to renegotiate entry, or at least the terms of the membership

So we may be in a situation where if there was a second vote, we would be in a situation where it is irrelevant, and we would be renegotiating as a "new member"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

If there was a second vote and it went Remain, I think the other EU countries would be willing to bend any rules they like in order to facilitate UK's continued membership. Remember, the other EU countries wanted us to remain. And I'm certain they still want UK as a member.

Would the fact that there might still be, say, a 40% minority amongst the electorate, who continue to want Out, influence the EU countries in this decision? No, I don't think so. After all there are such dissenting minorities in other EU countries. The difference is, none of them took that disastrous step which the English (sic) government embarked upon.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:If there was a second vote and it went Remain, I think the other EU countries would be willing to bend any rules they like in order to facilitate UK's continued membership. Remember, the other EU countries wanted us to remain. And I'm certain they still want UK as a member.

Would the fact that there might still be, say, a 40% minority amongst the electorate, who continue to want Out, influence the EU countries in this decision? No, I don't think so. After all there are such dissenting minorities in other EU countries. The difference is, none of them took that disastrous step which the English (sic) government embarked upon.

Plus One, then the whole b****t episode would be a bad nightmare, best not to forget it mind
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

"As we already know, at the referendum Leave won 51.89 per cent of the vote and Remain won 48.11 per cent. The Electoral Commission reports that the overall turnout was 72.21 percent. These figures imply that 34.73 per cent of the entire electorate voted to Remain."

What percentage do you think would be if a second vote :?:
Would 1:4 be acceptable to you to win.

Second vote is of course "a peoples vote" on conditions, not a rerun........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NA
There's a distinct possibility the leave vote camp conducted their campaign illegally.

There's the distinct possiblity that many people had no idea how long the leave process would take or how it would impact the country.

There's the distinct possibility immigration won't be any less after brexit or if it is there won't be enough people to fill the job vacancies should there be a reduction in immigration,forcing big companies to move to europe,which will be far more conveninet for them should brexit be "hard" leaving the UK an even bigger industrial waste land than it already is.

There's the distinct possibiliy the WTO will put many obsticles in the way of the UK in the way of tarrifs.

Anyone who thinks the world or the EU needs the UK is deluded.

Anyone who thinks the UK will be better off outside the EU is deluded.

Anyone who thinks the UK will have anymore "sovereignty" is deluded.

The best we can hope for is a "soft" brexit but even then it will cost the UK dearly in the short to medium term.

I firmly believe the majority of brexit voters voted out on one issue alone and that was immigration due to their delusional beliefs of a golden age that never was.
I believe these people are the older generation,my age and older,with a self centred skewed idea of the world we live in today and they couldnt be more wrong.Their children and granddchildren and their children will suffer dearly for their delusional beliefs.

We stand at a cliff edge due to referendum that should never have been made possible by a government of idiotic public schoolboys who thought they'd silence the Euroskeptics within their own party,and when it didnt work they left by the back door cowards to a man.
The present PM bad as she is,is nevertheless doing what she can to make brexit as painless as possible for the country,though is the same PM when HS promised to reduce immigration to "the tens of thousands",she's still playing that fiddle,she was lying then and she's lying now.
The whole government since 2010 has been a shambles,the Tory party is a shambles,and as a result the country will remain a shamble until a government comes to office who cares more for the UK as a whole rather than small parts of it.

End of rant.
W H Auden
georgew

Post by georgew »

^^^^^^^^^This.
Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote:End of rant.

That's not a rant, R2
just an accurate summing up of the situation!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Debs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:End of rant.

That's not a rant, R2
just an accurate summing up of the situation!

More accurately that this is just opinions of the Remainers camp!

I want and voted for hard exit.

There are mistruths on both sides and no different to main political parties in an gen election.

My vote my opinion, and who will say that anyone who votes is not capable by law to vote.
IF you disagree with the result, then maybe you also disagreed with the result when you favourite was not elected?....We have all been there.

To say that the majority of the leavers brixiteers whatever is just more insults.............more accurately not accepting what the result was.
We can argue on the slim majority that swayed the results and technical details.

But NO second vote at all.
Perhaps have 2nd vote on majorityless gov like many countries around the world with there social and military dictators.

We live in the world we made.

Put it this way would you rather not be an island would you rather we were in the Euro.

Thank your luck stars.

IF you disagree with the result, then maybe you also disagreed with the result when you favourite was not elected?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Difference being that GE result is only for five years the EU referendum is perminent.
If you think a hard brexit will be the best solution to this unholy mess then your optimism knows no bounds.
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Aug 2018, 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bit like getting married, till death do us part, or rather like getting divorced
Might last much longer

What will be the situation in a hundred years?
My optimism knows no bounds either, I still believe This Madness can be stopped
Or reversed
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:There are mistruths on both sides

IF you disagree with the result, then maybe you also disagreed with the result when you favourite was not elected?

I don't think a second referendum is necessarily the right way to go. It seems to further complicate matters. But your comparisons are way off the mark. Sure, there were mistruths on both sides (why not call them lies?). But the pile of lies and deception from the leave camp dwarfs what the remain camp produced. And you seem to have overlooked the election fraud. These weren't minor technical infringements but a systematic and multifaceted plan of deception, constructed on illegality. We still haven't got to the bottom of it.

Someone who disagrees with the result might just be someone who cares about the law and democracy.