** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by al_yrpal »

My German pals dont use remote coders the Hungarians, Poles and Romainians they employ work in their offices 2 or 3 weeks at a time and then a week to go home. They do use Poles in Poland to create intelligent electrical circuit diagrams from paper drawings. Its a popular and economical service that makes a lot of money.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I see Vince Cable has been in the news again, this time warning about "supporters of brexit erotic spasm".

When will these fools learn that being rude to people is not the way to get them to vote the way you want? It's exactly that childish behaviour that pushed enough waverers to the other side of the fence and swung the vote to 'out', yet he and others are still at it. Indeed, that's one of the definitions of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
And yet you use the words "fools" and "childish behaviour" to describe them.

Hey, all we are asking for here are some real concrete benefits to be clearly stated?
Is that too tall an order?

One could also say a sign of mass hypnotism is a group of people charging into some self-damaging action.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Because that's exactly how he's behaving.

He's behaving in the manner of a child who never got his own way.

He's behaving like a fool, carrying on doing the same thing, hoping for a different outcome from the same behaviour.

I was a waverer, and I really sit on the fence on this one - an uncomfortable place to be! Having spoke with other wavered over the last 2 years it would seem most are of much the mind I was - it's the rudeness and name calling that made them dig their heels in. The biggest irony of the whole affair is that it's the most outspoken remained politicians that made it Brexit happen. If they've behaved in a more mature manner, those in the middle would have been far more likely to see things their way.

And that's another irony - Dr Cable claims, on Radio 4 this very morning, to appeal to those in the middle. In actual fact he's alienating them at a great rate of knots.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I see Vince Cable has been in the news again, this time warning about "supporters of brexit erotic spasm".

When will these fools learn that being rude to people is not the way to get them to vote the way you want

Not advocating a people's vote there by any chance?

If there isn't going to be a vote on this (but with the facts this time) then he's not actually trying to get anyone to vote for anything by saying this. So in that case it's OK to insult people. A corrollory to your argument by any chance?

I'm one strong coffee short of making sense. It was logical to me.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

However I do understand your sentiment about remainers. My pet hate is the way they don't stick to the arguments they can win. Using false arguments lije the supporters of brexit will stop people getting doctors appointments because of a lack of workforce.

Wrong! supporters of brexit are advocating a system that allows people on from all corners of the world based on the skills needs of our country. If we need nhs admin to make doctor's appointments due to a shortage of suitable skills in the UK then suitably skilled foreign nationals will be allowed in.

It was said that the leave side read advised not get onto an economic debate because they could never win it. Instead to make wild claims that effectively shutdown the economic debate from even getting started. Isn't there research / respected economic institutions saying that Brexit is likely to take 50 years to get over?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Lance D.
I take your point but it's not all one-sided and straightforward.

For example after a notable legal challenge Gina Millar was called all sorts of really terrible things in the press.
And the Judges of the same were "enemies of the people", a headline that stuck in my craw and stayed there.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And still no one has come up with a convincing arguement for the UK to leave the EU.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

And still no one has come up with a convincing arguement for the UK to leave the EU.......

You couldnt be more wrong. As was proven on 23rd June 2016. More voters were convinced by the arguments to vote leave than to vote remain.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:

You couldnt be more wrong. As was proven on 23rd June 2016. More voters were convinced by the arguments to vote leave than to vote remain.

Sorry,my mistake.I meant argumentss that stand up to any scrutiny.
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

Sorry,my mistake.I meant argumentss that stand up to any scrutiny.

It was a preference, a choice. It is a subjective choice dependent on your personal values.
It wasnt an objective vote with a correct answer.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reasons? One only has to look at the list of prominent Remainers - Blair, Clegg, Clarkson, James May, Lineker, Jamie….
Seriously, leave the protection racket and trade freely, run our own affairs, control our own borders and fisheries.. Its so simple really.
Usually the Liberals Party Conference gets reported in the media, this time its half a page focussed on whether Gina Miller is going to join up and run it. Very sad position for the third party, sorry I mean fourth party after the SNP..

Read Marc Roche…

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 18 Sep 2018, 10:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fifth party after Plaid Cymru :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Reasons? One only has to look at the list of prominent Remainers - Blair, Clegg, Clarkson, James May, Lineker, Jamie….
Seriously, leave the protection racket and trade freely, run our own affairs, control our own borders and fisheries.. Its so simple really.
Usually the Liberals Party Conference gets reported in the media, this time its half a page focussed on whether Gina Miller is going to join up and run it. Very sad position for the third party, sorry I mean fourth party after the SNP..

Read Marc Roche…

Al

My bold.
There is no "protection racket" we already trade with the rest of the world,44% of our export goes to the EU,that leaves 56% going elsewhere we run our own affairs,and we control our own borders,well we did untill the age of austerity came to us,though we signed up for free movement of people within the EU,which has provided labour for job vacancies that UK people didn't want or couldnt do.
The fisheries are in a state of recovery thanks to EU legislation.
It's so simple really,out of the EU the UK will struggle to meet WTO rules which could be blocked by the very people,EU,we're rejecting.
And if a hard brexit is realised UK workers will be at the mercy of the likes of the extreme right wing tories such as Moggie and Fox et al,not a pleasant prospect.
The Uk is in for one hellova rough ride before things get better if they ever do.
Even if we were all for leaving,which isn't the case by a long shot,now wouldn't be a time to do it as the country has never been so vulnerable and mismanaged by an equally split and incompetent government
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Sep 2018, 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Its so simple really.

Yes, that's the obvious lesson to take from the past two years.

The simplicity of Brexit.