** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:
merseymouth wrote:We have no influence in the E.U., even wise words are ignored, why should we stay in such a club? IGICB MM

(I didn't call MM a xenophobe or whatever so I'm ignoring that part of the reply.)

I suspect there's no link or explanation because reality is the opposite. We had plenty of influence - https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-be ... influence/ - why are we leaving a club which agreed with us 95% of the time?

I searched for IGICB and 3 of the top 5 results were merseymouth!

I have no idea what IGICB means. Enlighten me? OIWRITD

Ian

Could it mean 'I give idiotic comments brazenly' or 'It's good I can babble' ?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:What do all you Remainers actually really honestly want?

This remainer wants to stay in the EU and make efforts to change it for the better from within,that said it's not doing such a bad job presently all things considered.

Could I ask why you want to leave exactly?
In a nutshell, I'm sick of it.

That isn't an answer

I never wanted to join in the first place. We were fine before, and we'll be fine after we leave
But we weren't fine before,we in a bad way before,and if we leave we'll be in a bad way again.

Taking our fisheries back is a major issue.

No it isn't,read the last few pages of this thread.
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Nov 2018, 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Stating the obvious here but I can't see how she's going to get it through parliament.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:Stating the obvious here but I can't see how she's going to get it through parliament.

But she’ll waste a lot of time and anger the EU with a wasted leaders summit (less cooperation in future) putting us in an even worse position.

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

kwackers wrote:Stating the obvious here but I can't see how she's going to get it through parliament.

50/50? I know the numbers LOOK wrong for her, but never underestimate the lack of principle among MPs when their seats may be at risk! Many will fear the alternatives more than the disaster looming.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Getting control of our fisheries IS a big concern, not only for our fisherman who are all kicking up a hell of a stink at the moment supported by the vast majority of the public. If you disagree you should take a trip to Peterhead or Newlyn and spout your ludicrous unsubstantiated assertions on the quays and just see what sort of reception you get!

If the EU decide to put tarrifs on fish caught here and exported there, it is THEM who will be paying extra, not us. The alternative, no fish! Plenty of other customers out there… 27 vs 196, no contest.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

So you don't support the deal then, Al?

Funny, I thought you'd been celebrating.
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

al_yrpal wrote:Getting control of our fisheries IS a big concern, not only for our fisherman who are all kicking up a hell of a stink at the moment supported by the vast majority of the public. If you disagree you should take a trip to Peterhead or Newlyn and spout your ludicrous unsubstantiated assertions on the quays and just see what sort of reception you get!

If the EU decide to put tarrifs on fish caught here and exported there, it is THEM who will be paying extra, not us. The alternative, no fish! Plenty of other customers out there… 27 vs 196, no contest.

Al

No it isn't. Fishing accounts for less 0.1% of GDP. It supports 15k jobs with a few more tens of thousands in the processing industry - many of them, ironically for Brexiters, held by immigrants. Fishing simply doesn't matter to any post-industrial economy, ours included.

On the other hand, Brexit will undoubtedly cause major damage to financial services, which accounts for 13% of GDP - literally 130 times more important than fishing and supports, either directly or indirectly, the entire economy of southern England.

Just another example of Brexiter economic illiteracy.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

djnotts wrote:

50/50? I know the numbers LOOK wrong for her, but never underestimate the lack of principle among MPs when their seats may be at risk! Many will fear the alternatives more than the disaster looming.

I see that.

But Labour are holding out for a general election, so they'll almost certainly vote no.
DUP will almost certainly vote no.
So there's only Tories and there has to be some dissenters in there...

Then there's obviously which way Putin gets to cast his vote - with May or against her? A weak Europe would suit him greatly, but the whole thing is such a mess it's difficult to say what the bad option is.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Eton Rifle wrote:No it isn't. Fishing accounts for less 0.1% of GDP. It supports 15k jobs with a few more tens of thousands in the processing industry - many of them, ironically for Brexiters, held by immigrants. Fishing simply doesn't matter to any post-industrial economy, ours included.

On the other hand, Brexit will undoubtedly cause major damage to financial services, which accounts for 13% of GDP - literally 130 times more important than fishing and supports, either directly or indirectly, the entire economy of southern England.

Just another example of Brexiter economic illiteracy.

Al's spoken to his pals in the fishing industry and they've given him the skinny in a partisan, global outlook sort of a way.

Apparently there are so few cod left they've got actual names now. Al's pal has been trying to hook 'moby duck' for a number or years now for the local chippy.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well one good thing to come out of all this ( from her point of view) she gets a nice pension for life? is that true?
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Raab and McVey have resigned, on the basis that the deal doesn't deliver the promised unicorns and ambrosia to the population.

McVey's letter is positively plaintive:

The proposals put before cabinet, which will soon be judged by the entire country, mean handing over around £39bn to the EU without anything in return. It will trap us in a customs union, despite you specifically promising the British people we would not be. It will bind the hands of not only this, but future governments in pursuing genuine free trade policies. We wouldn’t be taking back control, we would be handing over control to the EU and even to a third country for arbitration ...

We have gone from no deal is better than a bad deal, to any deal is better than no deal.

Brexit, meet reality.

The damage inflicted on our country by the absurd coalition of dilettantes, xenophobes and ideologues that took us here shows no sign of abating.

We really are through the looking glass now.

The irony is that the referendum outcome was largely driven by the lie that we are governed by EU rules that we have no part in making. Yet this shower of idiots have managed to 'negotiate' us into a position where we actually have to obey EU rules with no part in making them. You really couldn't make this stuff up.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hello, calling me a xenophobe is a cheap shot! As for reading more about the two world wars, I think my collection of books covering an extensive range of conflicts & disputes is well read?
Don't get me on to the German involvement in arms for insurgents on both sides in the Island of Ireland.
We have no influence in the E.U., even wise words are ignored, why should we stay in such a club? IGICB MM

No one called you a xenophobe. Someone said the attitude displayed in your post was xenophobic.
That was me. I was attacking the post, not the person. And I stand by what I posted.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Getting control of our fisheries IS a big concern, not only for our fisherman who are all kicking up a hell of a stink at the moment supported by the vast majority of the public. If you disagree you should take a trip to Peterhead or Newlyn and spout your ludicrous unsubstantiated assertions on the quays and just see what sort of reception you get!

Al

You'll have at some time to either put links and facts to your claims or stop posting untruths,so far such links and facts haven't been forthcoming and it's why your claims are regarded as daft guess work,without foundation :?

FWIW if you'd stood at a pithead when mining was going down the tubes,you'd most likely been torn limb from limb if you spouted that mining was erelevent to the UK,but it didnt stop happening what did happen to mining,and there were a lot more miners than fishermen.

As for tarrifs on fish sold to the EU,if the EU citizens don't think UK fish are worth the extra then they won't buy them,but unless those fish can be sold elsewhere they'll rot.
What makes you think countries outside the EU will be clamouring to buy them especially with no WTO membership?
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Nov 2018, 8:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:Germany has been supplying the Protestant and Catholic paramilitaries in Ulster with weapons? What's your evidence for this?
He might be referring to Abwehr collusion with the IRA during WW2, which is documented.

To liken the present government in Germany to the nazi regime is sickening. For me especially - I lost many family members. Yes I know there are neo-nazi elements in present-day German politics. I just hope they never seize power.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).