** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mr bajokoses

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mr bajokoses »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:It is also morbidly fascinating that Theresa May still will not level with the public, or even Parliament, about the cost of Brexit in terms of sovereignty, risk of the break-up of the UK, or tensions over an Irish border.

Her programming seems to be stuck in a loop of 'a better and brighter future', 'sending vast sums of money to the EU', 'control of our borders, our laws, and our money'. She needs a reboot.

The state of both PM and leader of Opposition are something to behold.

She cannot admit the obvious truth that her deal is worse than remaining, but equally will not claim it is better. He insists, fantastically, that he would get a much better deal because he's so good at negotiating. Both are obvious, childish lies, yet they feel trapped by circumstances into repeating them. It's so depressing, and such an abject failure of leadership.

Agreed, it is embarrassing. The continuing lies from both sides will make the eventual reckoning so much more brutal, as the truth emerges. They have dug the most enormous holes, and they cannot stop digging.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mr bajokoses wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:It is also morbidly fascinating that Theresa May still will not level with the public, or even Parliament, about the cost of Brexit in terms of sovereignty, risk of the break-up of the UK, or tensions over an Irish border.

Her programming seems to be stuck in a loop of 'a better and brighter future', 'sending vast sums of money to the EU', 'control of our borders, our laws, and our money'. She needs a reboot.

The state of both PM and leader of Opposition are something to behold.

She cannot admit the obvious truth that her deal is worse than remaining, but equally will not claim it is better. He insists, fantastically, that he would get a much better deal because he's so good at negotiating. Both are obvious, childish lies, yet they feel trapped by circumstances into repeating them. It's so depressing, and such an abject failure of leadership.

Agreed, it is embarrassing. The continuing lies from both sides will make the eventual reckoning so much more brutal, as the truth emerges. They have dug the most enormous holes, and they cannot stop digging.

yes either May or Corbyn should go on the box and tell the truth that Brexit is a waste of time - the PROOF is now evident. Corbyn wont as he wanta a softer brexit than even May's? Some one suggested a Blair come back, well atleast he is the type of person to stand up for something ( right or wrong - re Iraq I doubt he could have said no as the yanks probably reminded him of support over the Falklands - payback time?)

I had hoped Mrs may had been just cunning to see what the most she could get from the EU( had she in any way suggested she wasnt committed they would have made an even worse offer?) and then to come back to the people and say it all stinks? seems not, she really believes all her rubbish?
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

mercalia wrote:I had hoped Mrs may had been just cunning to see what the most she could get from the EU( had she in any way suggested she wasnt committed they would have made an even worse offer?) and then to come back to the people and say it all stinks? seems not, she really believes all her rubbish?

I sometimes begin to think May is playing a clever long game of exposing the brexiters to scrutiny - eg the ERG's failed attempt to get 48 letters of no confidence.

But then she comes out with something like her 'jumping the queue' remarks, and I realise she is as shallow as she appears.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mr bajokoses wrote:Her programming seems to be stuck in a loop of 'a better and brighter future'.....
I like that :twisted: : it reminds me somewhat of "our new, happy life", a recurring catchphrase....

....in Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Over the Sunlit Uplands into the Clear Blue Water of La Manche :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:The party is the appointing body. Take my constituency for example. Safe Tory seat [...]

They might pick their candidate, but can't really make them MP. The difference may be only theoretical at the moment, but it's there.

Oh yes they can. Whoever they pick will be MP. [...]

Probably, but that doesn't make them the appointing body. As I wrote earlier, if you want to argue that elected members are employed, please go have that argument with someone who can change the current status, not me. At the moment, they are office holders and the UK appears to be liable for at least a big chunk of Farage's pension because the UK paid for him to be MEP until responsibility passed to the EU in 2009.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:They might pick their candidate, but can't really make them MP. The difference may be only theoretical at the moment, but it's there.

Oh yes they can. Whoever they pick will be MP. [...]

Probably, but that doesn't make them the appointing body. As I wrote earlier, if you want to argue that elected members are employed, please go have that argument with someone who can change the current status, not me. At the moment, they are office holders and the UK appears to be liable for at least a big chunk of Farage's pension because the UK paid for him to be MEP until responsibility passed to the EU in 2009.

If it's a final salary scheme, and I think it is, responsibility for the pension would have transferred with responsibility for paying the salary. WHoever is responsible I hope they end up paying the worthless shoe scrape nothing.

There are advantages in being an office holder rather than an employee and the Inland Revenue regs wouldn't allow anybody other than an MP to be classed as one with those terms and conditions. It's possible to be both an employee and an office holder. I'd guess an MP is an employee where that is most advantageous and an office holder when it is not.

Time was when MP's were paid nothing. Some say if you pay peanuts all you get is monkeys. Perhaps we could do with some monkeys of the calibre of W.E. Gladstone and Benjamin Disraeli leading us now.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Gladstone has some living descendants who might be able to help

Mrs May took a holiday near Dolgellau, maybe she should visit Penmaenmawr to seek inspiration from The People's William

Or maybe Mr Cameron could cycle back to number ten: 'I got us into This Madness, I shall get us out of it'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ah the soothsayer at the Bank of England is pronouncing his dark warnings again -

https://youtu.be/1Tc_CGyBvNg?t=193

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46377309)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

MPs pay and pensions is easily summed up.....

When it comes to their pay / pensions there is an independent review panel that provides evidence for a pay rise. As it is independent then it is absolutely correct and appropriate to accept their proposals. They should unequivocally be honoured

When it comes to other bodies like the NHS, then the proposals of similar independent review panels are no longer unequivocal , the proposals can be challenged, and overriding the proposals is perfectly acceptable
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting take on May's claims that her deal "Is the best deal" because she is also claiming "it's the only deal". And if it's "the only deal" then by definition it must also be the worst deal (when you have only one it is both the best and worst just as a one person race the one person starting comes both 1st and last).

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:Interesting take on May's claims that her deal "Is the best deal" because she is also claiming "it's the only deal". And if it's "the only deal" then by definition it must also be the worst deal (when you have only one it is both the best and worst just as a one person race the one person starting comes both 1st and last).

Ian

Just like Baldrick's underpants - his best pair is also his worst pair because they're his only pair.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:MPs pay and pensions is easily summed up.....

When it comes to their pay / pensions there is an independent review panel that provides evidence for a pay rise. As it is independent then it is absolutely correct and appropriate to accept their proposals. They should unequivocally be honoured

When it comes to other bodies like the NHS, then the proposals of similar independent review panels are no longer unequivocal , the proposals can be challenged, and overriding the proposals is perfectly acceptable

Yep. When public sector pay rises were capped at 1% then MPs salaries , as part of the public sector payroll, should have been subject to it.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:What is the man's agenda?
Why does he dislike the unity of the EU so much, when it has preserved the peace for so long?
Or would he like to see conflict?

You credit him with too much.

He's a bully, that's how he's always run his businesses but you can only bully from a position of power.

Consider the restrictions the EU places on various U.S exports because they don't meet its criteria. Throw in the problem of bullying something so big and it should all fall into place.

America simply wants a collection of small countries to act as consumers for its produce. The UK outside of the EU falls into that collection quite nicely. ;)

YES. This isnt a new thing under Trump - they have always been that way, you only have to look at WW2 and the lend-lease deal or the loans after the war. The USA is the only country that made a profit from the war? Some one needs to get all the supporters of brexit and give them a really hard shake to get them real.

Our loan finally got paid in 2006! Trump's ploy is to get the UK into a very weak position after Brexit and then the way is clear to dump some of their dodgy chicken and GM foodstuffs here. Taking over the Health Service will be one of their prime targets, lots of profit to be doing it the ' American way' I'm sure Farage will be assured a place in all this.
Canuk

Take it or (Leave) it Brexit

Post by Canuk »

May now says if Parliament doesn't accept the current deal offered by the EU, its a 'no deal'. catastrophe.

Sounds like Hobsons Choice to me...
Last edited by Canuk on 30 Nov 2018, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.