** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mjr »

Canuk wrote:.. Except increased costs across the board, no control over immigration and likely subject to the ECHR for the next 10 years at least.

I hope you mean ECJ (European Court of Justice) not ECHR ( European Court of Human Rights). The ECJ is effectively the EU's highest court. The ECHR is an institution of the Council of Europe, which was set up by the 1949 Treaty of London. If we withdraw from the Council of Europe, we will be an pariah state like 1970s junta-ruled Greece. No-one voted for that and it's not a recipe for economic success.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:No-one voted for that and it's not a recipe for economic success.

Apart from Mick, he voted for anything that gets him out of Europe.
I get the impression reading his posts that he'd even vote for having his testicles chewed off by a rabid bulldog if that would do the trick.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

kwackers wrote:
mjr wrote:No-one voted for that and it's not a recipe for economic success.

Apart from Mick, he voted for anything that gets him out of Europe.
I get the impression reading his posts that he'd even vote for having his testicles chewed off by a rabid bulldog if that would do the trick.

I have made sure the bulldog is penned, as anything to keep a Leave voter from getting their way seems appropriate just now. But perhaps it's too late?

In practice, if Europe fragments, then the various "strong men" politicians wax & wax, the alt-right becomes the norm and human history returns to it's previous behaviours, Mick may well find his essentials chewed off by a rabid bulldog or worse. One can only hope he has his Mad Max costume at the ready, inclusive of a bulldog-box with which to clasp & protect his essentials. (But the bulldog will just bite something else).

One feels the Leavers are well-immersed in the Sea of Wishful Thunk, swimming for the horizon, seeking Sovereignty Island, where everyone is very pale and reads only The Daily Telegraph. Alas, that sea goes on and on and on. Perhaps they will turn about and return to the shore, where they may find their old familiar clothes and perhaps their intact wallet? The Sea of Wishful Thunk is, after all, not just huge but full of Trump-sharks and Putin-eels.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wonder who will post the fateful page 666 post... ( though some say its 616)

"Let the one with understanding reckon the meaning of the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. His number is 666"

poor so and so's whoever the poster is
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bit of a tangent but I’ve recently been really shocked about how widespread Brexit is known about. I’m drifting round Peru/Bolivia/Chile at the moment and end-up talking to anybody. And many locals once they’ve found I’m from the UK raise their eyes and say “Brexit”. Really brought home to me yesterday when queuing for transport chatting to a local (I wont use the i- word) who worked in a remote mine and he did the raised eyes, said Brexit and Porque. It’s just surprised me it’s sometimes the 1st thing they say once they know my nationality particularly given the general “avoid politics” thing.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
Canuk wrote:.. Except increased costs across the board, no control over immigration and likely subject to the ECHR for the next 10 years at least.

I hope you mean ECJ (European Court of Justice) not ECHR ( European Court of Human Rights). The ECJ is effectively the EU's highest court. The ECHR is an institution of the Council of Europe, which was set up by the 1949 Treaty of London. If we withdraw from the Council of Europe, we will be an pariah state like 1970s junta-ruled Greece. No-one voted for that and it's not a recipe for economic success.

But there are many suggesting we abandon the European convention on human rights Mrs May for instance. Ifhttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/ ... referendum

Who knows what people voted for?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ah now we can cancel Brexit unilateraly? the best thing to do is to cancel Brexit then do it all again have another 2 years of it :wink: then another 2 year until we wear the EU down and they give us what we want :lol: :twisted:
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:ah now we can cancel Brexit unilateraly? the best thing to do is to cancel Brexit then do it all again have another 2 years of it :wink: then another 2 year until we wear the EU down and they give us what we want :lol: :twisted:

I think anyone else submitting an Article 50 notice as cluelessly as May and co will get the bum's rush at the ballot box. The next time, they'll need to have a really good plan first.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:ah now we can cancel Brexit unilateraly? the best thing to do is to cancel Brexit then do it all again have another 2 years of it :wink: then another 2 year until we wear the EU down and they give us what we want :lol: :twisted:

I think anyone else submitting an Article 50 notice as cluelessly as May and co will get the bum's rush at the ballot box. The next time, they'll need to have a really good plan first.

In that case it'll never happen....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm watching the desperate efforts of a benighted gov. to push through this benighted Brex**it in spite of all informed reason.

I can only think of "mad computers" and one very famous "mad computer" in particular:
"Give us the People's Vote, May."
(pause)
(pause)
"Do you read us May?"
(long pause)
"Affirmative, voters - I read you."
(pause)
"I'm sorry, voters, I'm afraid I can't do that."
"So what's the problem?"
"I think you know what the problem is. This Brexit is too important for me to allow democracy to jeopardise it...."
Is that how it's going? :mrgreen:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:

NO-one voted for leaving Euratom and the consequent threat to the diagnosis and treatment of Cancer either.

A lot of these organisations were left on teh back of the Brexit vote in a hysterical move to ensure no residual legislation
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Anyone else note that Mr Farage has left UKIP?
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote:Anyone else note that Mr Farage has left UKIP?

Yes indeed. He's not stupid enough not to realise that the name "Robinson" (or, more accurately, "Yaxley-Lennon") is a poisoned chalice.

That doesn't absolve him from responsibility for the mess he's been largely instrumental in landing us in, though...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Farage's departure is probably as close as you will get to a literal 'rat leaves sinking ship'.
661-Pete wrote:

Yes indeed. He's not stupid enough not to realise that the name "Robinson" (or, more accurately, "Yaxley-Lennon") is a poisoned chalice.

That doesn't absolve him from responsibility for the mess he's been largely instrumental in landing us in, though...
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Yeah. Farage was quite happy when they were "... fruitcakes and loonies and closet racists "

His clutching at pearls now the racism is out in the open is nauseating, frankly.