** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, Been thinking, I know some folk will say about time to!
But my thought is this - If we sign a take it or leave it deal with Barnier, not a nice thought, will it have to be signed in a railway carriage at Compiegne? IGICB MM

At Frethun near Calais maybe :?
What does IGICB mean?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Oldjohnw wrote:Interesting about Compiegne.

Mrs May's deal does seem a bit like surrender. Of course, as full members of the EU we had equal status. The current government seems to wish to give that up in its attemp to secure the Brexit she thinks people voted for.

I agree. Two and a half years of paralysis, billions spent and to be spent, billions further lost in GDP. All to put us in a worse situation than we are in now as EU members. Even Brexiters no longer point to any demonstrable benefits of Brexit.

How have we arrived at this point?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, The Longest Journey Starts With The First step. MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Eton Rifle wrote:How have we arrived at this point?

By putting idiots in power who sanctioned a referendum on the issue,and bigger idiots trying to negotiate a cake and eat it deal that could never be.
To satisfy what exactly?
Some say to stop immigration,well good luck with that,because the present PM has been promising that since 2009 without any success.
Some say so the UK can regain sovereignty,and though a constantly asked question what sovereignty have we lost the best anyone can come up with is the colour of fire extinguishers
Some say so we can trade with the rest of the world,snag with that idiocy is that we already do!

It's no bl@@dy wonder the country is on it's knees with idiots in charge and half the country more concerned with wrapping itself in the Union Jack,as what's left of our industry slowly goes down the tubes.
Someone somewhere said "you couldn't make it up",well I'm afraid(very afraid) large numbers of idiots have done just that,and on the present course we'll reap the whirlwind!
Don't blaim me when the brown stuff hits the fan and we all get a bit in the face,I voted remain! :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi, The Longest Journey Starts With The First step. MM

But it's helpful if you know where you're going! :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

merseymouth wrote:Hi, The Longest Journey Starts With The First step. MM

When that first step is off a cliff, you probably need to have another look at the map.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not guilty guv :wink:

Two large significant groups were not allowed to vote:
UK citizens who had lived abroad more than 15 years
Many EU people living in the UK

With a full franchise we should doubtless have been spared This Madness
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:Interesting about Compiegne.

Mrs May's deal does seem a bit like surrender. Of course, as full members of the EU we had equal status. The current government seems to wish to give that up in its attemp to secure the Brexit she thinks people voted for.

Oh no it isn't. She's preserved all of her "red lines" as possible except the first and last, but what you think of that depends on whether you think we didn't already have them and whether you value them more than peace, prosperty and our citizens' freedoms!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Double post
Last edited by Canuk on 22 Dec 2018, 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

At this late juncture (96 days to go) I really can't see Brexit happening. Either by hook or by crook, what's coming next is another general election or a referendum.

It seems clear the current impasse in parliamentary debate will not be broken, and May is very unlikely to get her 'Deal' out of the traps on January 14th.

I can see her logic: give the MPs Xmas and New year to reflect upon it, but that won't realistically change anything. She's trying to buy time with a negative bank balance.

A GE or another referendum. I've been saying that since October. At the end of the line, who knows. Not me for sure. But I have a dreadful feeling we're going to end up right back at the beginning, madly having to be negotiate just to stay part of the EU.

Whatever collective madness or malevolent lies persuaded people to vote leave has been ably dissected and proved as such. Bonkers.

What were the voting population thinking? Two and a half years later and nothing to show for it except a battered pound and a free fall stock market, I'm just glad we're almost at the end game. Nothing but embarrassment on the international stage and a mockery of a Parliamentary system, crawling over the bones of democracy.
Last edited by Canuk on 22 Dec 2018, 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Canuk wrote:At this late juncture (96 days to go) I really can't see Brexit happening. Either by hook or by crook, what's coming next is another general election or a referendum

Or both? :wink:
Did you have a vote?
Canuk

Countdown Timer: Friday 29th March 2019 23h00 GMT

Post by Canuk »

http://daystobrexit.co.uk/

96 and a bit days to go. This doomsday timer didn't really bother me until it got to 100 days to go.

Now it bothers me. It feels almost apocalyptic.

What have they done!! :(
Cyril Haearn

Re: Countdown Timer: Friday 29th March 2019 23h00 GMT

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What happens at midnight? Fireworks, parties at spoons? Church services to ask the Lord for help? Does the church have an opinion?
squeaker

Re: Countdown Timer: Friday 29th March 2019 23h00 GMT

Post by squeaker »

Canuk wrote:What have they done!! :(
"Taken back control" (allegedly) :roll:
"42"
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »