** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by merseymouth »

Oi you, "Cannons to the right of them, Cannons to the left of then, Cannons in front of them Volley'd and thundered; Storm'd at with shot and shell, Boldly they rode and well, Into the jaws of Death, Into the mouth of Hell Rode the six hundred"!
"When can their glory fade? O the wild charge they made! All the world wonder'd. Honour the charge they made! Honour the Light Brigade, Noble six hundred". [i]Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
IGICB MM
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

...and that was all a mistake also!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Given the standard of government at the moment I'd vote for complete integration with Europe and devolve all our governance to them.

They can't make it any worse.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

kwackers wrote:Given the standard of government at the moment I'd vote for complete integration with Europe and devolve all our governance to them.

really and have the yellow jackets over here?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Oldjohnw wrote:
prediction. I'd also not seen any hint that Corbyn banned such meetings (which would be daft because he'd struggle to enforce it).

]https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/17/jeremy-corbyn-faces-split-defiant-labour-mps-discuss-deal-ministers/

and

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/theresa-may/news/101182/theresa-may-hits-out-jeremy

The fact you are unaware of Corbyn's ruling doesn't mean it didn't happen. I agree that such a ruling is stupid - and desparate - because it cannot be enforced. Corbyn and May are two of a kind.

They deserve each other. We deserve better.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I've just overheard the "solution" to all our woes on the bus from an elderly lady. "....we need a war, then they'd all b***** off, the ships and planes would be full of 'em all going home...." Her companions agreed whole heartedly. Ah, the caring loving tones of the Leave voters. To steal a song title, that's when I reach for my revolver....
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mercalia wrote:
kwackers wrote:Given the standard of government at the moment I'd vote for complete integration with Europe and devolve all our governance to them.

really and have the yellow jackets over here?

Absolutely, you could use them to guard the camp you'd sling the 600 from Westminster into. Throw them a fat loaf Boris Johnson once in a while to feed off.

At least the Gilet Jaunes know what they're fighting for, Brexit is a lost cause. The sooner that gets through the thick heads the better. Never going to happen. Once A50 is delayed (probably early Feb), that's it over and done with. Kicked so far into the long grass no one will even remember what it was all about in the first place.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

djnotts wrote:I've just overheard the "solution" to all our woes on the bus from an elderly lady. "....we need a war, then they'd all b***** off, the ships and planes would be full of 'em all going home...." Her companions agreed whole heartedly. Ah, the caring loving tones of the Leave voters. To steal a song title, that's when I reach for my revolver....

“When I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun”

Its actually attributed to Hans Johst, a leading German poet and playwright. Often wrongly attributed to several Nazis like Himmler and Goebels.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Circles
Clichés
More Polls
Simple Folk
:roll:
Yawn

I will predict down to the wire on Exit...........deal which will always be a compromise for us all.

But who will bet on any outcome.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Canuk wrote:
djnotts wrote:I've just overheard the "solution" to all our woes on the bus from an elderly lady. "....we need a war, then they'd all b***** off, the ships and planes would be full of 'em all going home...." Her companions agreed whole heartedly. Ah, the caring loving tones of the Leave voters. To steal a song title, that's when I reach for my revolver....

“When I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun”

Its actually attributed to Hans Johst, a leading German poet and playwright. Often wrongly attributed to several Nazis like Himmler and Goebels.

I expect my source, Mission of Burma, took it from the playwright! I've come across it attributed to Stalin!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:
prediction. I'd also not seen any hint that Corbyn banned such meetings (which would be daft because he'd struggle to enforce it).

]https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/17/jeremy-corbyn-faces-split-defiant-labour-mps-discuss-deal-ministers/

Paywalled, unreadable except the first couple of paragraphs.

And that contradicts the Telegraph, both in that it's an email not a letter according to them, but also saying that he "urge[d] colleagues to respect that condition and refrain from engagement", which the reporter then misdescribes as "effectively ban".

In short, this looks like ACCSS - Another Crazy Corbyn Smear Story. I'm no fan of the man, but I get a bit tired of this news media bias trying to find stories where there don't seem to be any.
The fact you are unaware of Corbyn's ruling doesn't mean it didn't happen. I agree that such a ruling is stupid - and desparate - because it cannot be enforced. Corbyn and May are two of a kind.

The reports above don't support that - in fact, they strongly suggest there was no "ruling", just a request. I suspect he knows that the likes of Benn would go along almost regardless, so such an "urge" email probably just limits the numbers while allowing him and the party to keep informed, to see whether May is sincere or grandstanding - and from what Benn and Cooper said on the steps of the Cabinet Office yesterday, it looks like she's grandstanding, yet again trying to run down the clock. I expect May to make minimal to no changes before basically representing her deal on Monday.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Circles
Clichés
More Polls
Simple Folk
:roll:
Yawn

I will predict down to the wire on Exit...........deal which will always be a compromise for us all.

I wouldn't put a pound on it. I got 8/1 yesterday on no Brexit in 2019. Take it while it's still going.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello again, That old lady was only talking about what actually happens. Armed troops had to be posted to control the unruly exit of folk over to the island of Ireland in 1939.
The situation was not helped by the ongoing crisis over the Irish Free State's Neutrality position. Whilst conscription was brought in in England, Scotland & Wales it was not brought in in "Northern Ireland"!
So even a few Brits took flight to Erin's Isle.
The possibility of Ulster Nationalists being conscripted was too sensitive for even Churchill to contemplate.
Sorry to go back to WW2, but it is a clear precedent.
Nothing is ever simple in life, apart from us "Leave Types"! TTFN MM
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Me and I believe someone else on here(PWA?) already has?
Won't happen.Dead in the water.
I had a bet straight after the Referendum result with a knuckle dragger* at work.I look forward to a good night out with my £100 8)

*Before anyone chirps in I'm not labelling every leaver a knuckle dragger but this particular leaver certainly is one.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Sorry to go back to WW2, but it is a clear precedent."

And pretty clearly exactly what most Brexit Brigade actually want to re-run. I am pretty certain however that what "the lady" was chortling about was not conscription dodgers but all them foreigners going home … no doubt including those Asians in the NHS.