** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think its more that Brexit Cant be stopped without mp's on all sides looking stupid because they went against an albeit slim majority, to do so would be political suicide.

Nobody's really laughing its not funny, I would not chortle too soon......................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

A hard dose of reality:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/european-institute/sites/european-institute/files/sir_ivan_rogers_lecture_ucl_22012019.pdf

For anyone pressed for time to read his whole devastating analysis, his conclusions begin on p27.
Cours

Post by Cours »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I think its more that Brexit Cant be stopped without mp's on all sides looking stupid because they went against an albeit slim majority, to do so would be political suicide.

Nobody's really laughing its not funny, I would not chortle too soon......................

Show me a single piece of evidence that proves Brexit is to be concluded any time soon? You can't. Theresa is going to be hammered and likely villified when she fails miserably again next Tuesday. If anything, I would expect the defeat to be evenmore humiliating than last week. Zombie government led a zombie leader.

Brexit, under Tory autonomy had categorically failed.
Show me a single piece of evidence to the contrary?
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Cours wrote:

Show me a single piece of evidence that proves Brexit is to be concluded any time soon? You can't. Theresa is going to be hammered and likely villified when she fails miserably again next Tuesday. If anything, I would expect the defeat to be evenmore humiliating than last week. Zombie government led a zombie leader.

We still need a parliamentary majority to coalesce around revoking (or extending if you must) Article 50, and for them to force this miserable government to enact it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cours wrote:

You cant show me that it is cancelled!
Like I said, that's why Jeremy is fumbling and Not committing to R2, he wants the other side to remove deals as he simply wont suggest it?
I never said Brexit is concluded, just that its going to be very difficult, extend A50 and the terms wont disappear will they?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cours

Post by Cours »

Cours wrote:

Like I said, that's why Jeremy is fumbling and Not committing to R2, he wants the other side to remove deals as he simply wont suggest it?
I never said Brexit is concluded, just that its going to be very difficult, extend A50 and the terms wont disappear will they?

A question well dodged. I'm asking you to provide any evidence that the current administration can deliver Brexit. You can't keep going to Parliament with the same deal every two weeks and be roundly rejected?

In those circumstances, however much you might not like hear it Brexit IS impossible! Any attempt to argue the blank logic off that fact is sheer stupidity.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cours wrote:

Once agains you swerve answering a question.
Are you a politician?
Post after post of no answers and no reasoning or logic.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mr bajokoses wrote:A hard dose of reality:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/european-institute/sites/european-institute/files/sir_ivan_rogers_lecture_ucl_22012019.pdf

For anyone pressed for time to read his whole devastating analysis, his conclusions begin on p27.

I've got as far as p 15 and broken off for a break. Dismal reading.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

thirdcrank wrote:

I realise Sir Ivan Rogers has an axe to grind following his firing by May in her expert cleansing exercise but it's hard to disagree with him.
Cours

Post by Cours »

Cours wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You cant show me that it is cancelled!

Answer the questions put to you please?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:

Takes me back to the original brexit debate when after spending many hours reading and listening to experts I realised what a complete f'up the idea was and why listening to the experts and voting with them was easily the best option.

Still, good job those brexitears actually know how it all works otherwise there'd be pandemonium!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

" You can't keep going to Parliament with the same deal every two weeks and be roundly rejected?"

A few cosmetics and yes you can. There MAY (sic) come a point where what she is offering becomes more attractive than any alternative available to a sufficient number of Tories and the DUP. Latest signs are that she is offering nothing on employee rights, which could be enough to swing the supporters of brexit behind her given that to destroy last vestiges of "workers' rights" has been one of their prime objectives all along the line.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Liam Fox promised at his party conference in October 2017 when he boasted ‘I hear people saying we won’t have any FTAs before we leave - well believe me we’ll have up to 40 ready for one second after midnight in March 2019’.

How many FTAs will be have in place with the 70 countries we currently trade with by March 29th: You guessed it NONE.

Can you see why journalists and politicians are replacing the word 'crisis' with 'catastrophe'.

Not able to trade with anyone. And if the Irish have their way and the GFA is upheld, still not able to trade with anyone on WTO terms because NI will still be in the customs Union.

'Breaking: Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says in a No Deal scenario the UK would have to agree to full regulatory and customs alignment in NI if it were to honour its obligations to the GFA and the peace process.'

It would be funny if it weren't so desperately serious. I can see them bringing back the guillotines - for Leavers.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

thirdcrank wrote:

Dismal, it seems to me, only in its rational and unflinching examination of a dark situation. As an interested observer from the other side of the Atlantic, I found this to be the most even-handed and insightful consideration of Brexit I have encountered.

Thanks, mr bajokoses, for bringing it forward.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

djnotts wrote:" You can't keep going to Parliament with the same deal every two weeks and be roundly rejected?"

A few cosmetics and yes you can. There MAY (sic) come a point where what she is offering becomes more attractive than any alternative available to a sufficient number of Tories and the DUP. Latest signs are that she is offering nothing on employee rights, which could be enough to swing the supporters of brexit behind her given that to destroy last vestiges of "workers' rights" has been one of their prime objectives all along the line.

No offence, but to suggest you can turn around a defeat of 230 votes with a 'few cosmetics' is plain nonsense.
Sooner than later even the right wing press will turn against May and her failed administration. Its only a matter of time before the baying for blood succeeds. Or those that wanted Brexit in the first place take to the streets when they see it can't possibly be delivered. I expect rioting as a first response to that scenario. Either way May's days are numbered.