** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 18 Mar 2019, 11:37am

thirdcrank wrote:The speed with which some of the same old, same old comes round again puts the Large Hadron Collider to shame. Perhaps some of this could be harnessed in the interests of science with the hope of creating a black hole.

The black hole comes when and if we leave,that has become evermore clearer over the past two and a half years this sorry mess has continued to drone on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 Mar 2019, 11:39am

Dear Leavers,

Please think how upset you'd get if someone tried to take your UK citizenship away based on lies, innuendo and illegal campaigning. Now you may understand how upset many are at your attempt to take away our EU citizenship.

YF, Some Remainers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mr bajokoses

Postby mr bajokoses » 18 Mar 2019, 11:43am

Boris Johnson in the Telegraph:
We will be legally and politically at the mercy of Brussels, since we will be obliged to accept all EU legislation, during the so-called implementation period: the first time since the Norman Conquest that a foreign power has passed the laws of this country.

Is he saying that prior to the EU referendum, a foreign power was not passing the laws of this country? Whatever next...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Mar 2019, 11:48am

Hobbs1951 wrote:I am extremely weary of the will of the people refrain, I think it is now irrelevant anyway - three years on...best part of. In addition since when was the government (any government) really interested in democracy - just look at the inequalities and injustices ?

With regard to the referendum, one poster has mentioned the vote: consider this, the vote was an abstract thing; that no-one, including the Tory party had the remotest clue about the implications of Leave, and therefore all the vote was for was in or out.

Quite!

Did anyone who voted Leave vote for job losses, higher food costs, higher fuel costs, reduced status in Europe and the World ....

John.

There are them on here that would.
The most bizarre interview I heard was with the Actor Micheal Cain who when asked about Brexit and how he voted said "I voted out even if the UK economy takes a big hit,better be a poor man and free than a rich man in chains"
That from a multimillionaire from acting and who lives in Florida,yeah right Micheal :? .
It's people such as he who will never suffer as a result of Brexit,but the people who mistakenly believe such abject tripe who will.
It's utterly unbelievable what's been sold unseen and without come backs or guarantees in the face of neutral experts have warned against it for all the right reasons.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Mar 2019, 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 Mar 2019, 11:50am

mr bajokoses wrote:Boris Johnson in the Telegraph:
We will be legally and politically at the mercy of Brussels, since we will be obliged to accept all EU legislation, during the so-called implementation period: the first time since the Norman Conquest that a foreign power has passed the laws of this country.

Is he saying that prior to the EU referendum, a foreign power was not passing the laws of this country? Whatever next...

Poll: is Boris Johnson lying now, was he lying before the referendum, or both?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

mr bajokoses

Postby mr bajokoses » 18 Mar 2019, 11:52am

mjr wrote:

Poll: is Boris Johnson lying now, was he lying before the referendum, or both?

Are his lips moving?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Mar 2019, 11:57am

That man is a clever but gibbering lunatic who should be confined for his own and the country's sake.
Though bizarrely some hang onto his every word as if he were the messiah! :?
I cycle therefore I am.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 18 Mar 2019, 12:21pm

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Did anyone who voted Leave vote for job losses, higher food costs, higher fuel costs, reduced status in Europe and the World - the list is a long one and do you have the attention span ?

John.

They were warned a leave vote could lead to all of those things and more so the answer has to be yes they did vote for them.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Mar 2019, 12:21pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:.....On Accepting That when we leave I may be worse off, Yes I accept that and yes it's more on principle then anything else.

What principle is that then? :?
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 Mar 2019, 12:36pm

pete75 wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:
Did anyone who voted Leave vote for job losses, higher food costs, higher fuel costs, reduced status in Europe and the World - the list is a long one and do you have the attention span ?

John.

They were warned a leave vote could lead to all of those things and more so the answer has to be yes they did vote for them.

But their itching ears wanted to hear:- 'taking back control of our borders' ,'350million better spent on the NHS',and stopping free movement of people across the EU,which to some translated as kicking out the immigrants.
Indeed on the last point Mother Theresa when Home Sec had promised to reduce immigration to the "tens of thousands" a promise the Mother in blue is "still committed to" and has been since she and her party was in office,yet it's only once dropped below 200,000 in the past decade her party has been in power and currently stands a 230,000 :?
It also seems like no one has told her that should the mythical "tens of thousands" figure be realised there'll be no one to gather in the crops or wash the ar*es of the old and infirm,or nurse an heal the sick in light of the country being unwilling to train and retain our own nurses,doctors and carers.
I cycle therefore I am.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 18 Mar 2019, 1:03pm

There has of course been one positive thing about the whole sorry business. ALL one needs to know about any given other person in order to know Friend or Foe, whether worth speaking to, is "leave" or "remain". If the former then at best naïve and simple minded in not understanding would inevitably lead to far right power, racism, ultra-capitalism or that at the other extreme actively wishing for these outcomes.

Got to love the poor and disadvantaged voting in favour of those who want them in camps!

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 18 Mar 2019, 1:18pm

On a lighter note:

You've just got to love this story:
France’s EU minister names her cat 'Brexit' because ‘he meows loudly to be let out but just stands there when I open the door’.

When I was a kid, our family cat used to do just that. He'd sit next to the front door and mew, asking to be let out. When we opened the door and he saw the rain outside, he'd turn around and pad across to the back door, and repeat the performance. Upon discovering that it was raining outside that door too, he'd give up in disgust....

Just like most Brits have....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 18 Mar 2019, 1:41pm

BBC quote

"The possibility of Brexit being delayed or overturned in another referendum has seen some MPs reluctantly back Mrs May's deal."

The "Delay" is really only a foretaste of "overturned in another referendum "? what do you make of the BBC statement? Seems to be a morally bankrupt stance for an mp to go take, as it is anti democratic and hypocritcal in that it accuses those who want a 2nd referendum ( keep on voting until you give us the right answer ) of the very manipulation they are guilty of ( I wont allow you to change your mind or allow those who didnt vote before to vote now) ?

why this ? they are fearful of their jobs as mps? Such baseness of character is beyond contempt?

I think this is another way you can sort out mp from mp?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 18 Mar 2019, 2:10pm

reohn2 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:....... Remove the votes for all thise who did NOT vote for what we have now and see what happens

In short the leave voter was sold a pup by the likes of Farage,Fox,BoJo and a campaign now proven to have been funded illegally by their mate Aron Whatshisface.

There'll be them that realise that and would now change their on the issue.
Of course there'll be them who support such actions and see no wrong in it,and the 'gut feeling' voter who made up their mind long ago they don't like the EU for no good reason whatsoever........

I have an ex-colleague who is of the firm opinion that the £350 million, about trade deals etc, were not lies, or campaign promises, but merely "misjudged opinions" that were blown out of proportion by the remainers.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 18 Mar 2019, 2:26pm

Cunobelin wrote:I have an ex-colleague who is of the firm opinion that the £350 million, about trade deals etc, were not lies, or campaign promises, but merely "misjudged opinions" that were blown out of proportion by the remainers.

Seem to recall a bus with that message about the NHS on it's side...so not a misjudged opinion by Remainers. And just hear that jerk Crispin Blunt (MP for Reigate) on R4 talking about how we're going to be an economic powerhouse and how important the trade deal with the Faroes is !

John.