** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by merseymouth »

Hello again, These M.P.'s are such honourable people?
I know one sitting M.P. who knowingly tried to use an illegal act to get an extra vote?
The person in the incident was a Councilor at a local election. I a polling station that person seeing a completed ballot paper in the box provided for people who have voted to leave a support card to prevent being pestered by whipper in er's door stepping them.
The Councilor picked out the vote, checked who that person had voted for, then tried to post it into the Ballot Box :shock: !
I fortunately was able to stop her from putting it in the box and got the Poll Officers to take hold of the vote & void it.
It was obviously not a vote for any of her opponents, but she would take any vote however illegal to boost her chances :( .
She knew she would be breaking the Law, but her ethical compass is defective. I say "Is" because she is a sitting M.P. , bent as a Nine Bob Note!
Are there others of the same ilk? You bet. MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

merseymouth wrote:Hello again, These M.P.'s are such honourable people?
I know one sitting M.P. who knowingly tried to use an illegal act to get an extra vote?
The person in the incident was a Councilor at a local election. I a polling station that person seeing a completed ballot paper in the box provided for people who have voted to leave a support card to prevent being pestered by whipper in er's door stepping them.
The Councilor picked out the vote, checked who that person had voted for, then tried to post it into the Ballot Box :shock: !
I fortunately was able to stop her from putting it in the box and got the Poll Officers to take hold of the vote & void it.
It was obviously not a vote for any of her opponents, but she would take any vote however illegal to boost her chances :( .
She knew she would be breaking the Law, but her ethical compass is defective. I say "Is" because she is a sitting M.P. , bent as a Nine Bob Note!

Wow that's horrific.
No wonder they get gunned down by right thinking nationalists.

I bet she's put normal waste in her recycling bin too.

Here's an alternative view, she picked up a vote that someone had put in the wrong place and went to put it in the ballot box, you spotted that the vote was for someone you didn't like so figured you'd report it and deprive them of a vote.
;)
syklist

Post by syklist »

"Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite."

Attributed to Joseph de Maistre.

Who apparently also said "False opinions are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing what they are doing."

Seems to sum up perfectly the forty plus years of anti EU agitation leading to Brexit.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote:I a polling station that person seeing a completed ballot paper in the box provided for people who have voted to leave a support card to prevent being pestered by whipper in er's door stepping them.
I don't follow. What is this 'support card' business? At all elections I've ever voted in, there have been party tellers posted outside the polling station, they ask to take down your number as you enter so they can cross you off the 'whipping-up' list.

I always respond "I'm not on any canvasser's list" and refuse to give my number. But that's beside the point.

Are you saying, some voter had earlier, mistakenly put their ballot paper in this 'support card' box instead of the ballot box? Surely the Polling Station officers should have noticed this error and corrected it at once.

I think, if someone by mistake walks out of the Polling Station without posting their vote in the box, they'll be called back. Not something I've tried!

Anyway, what your councillor should have done was, pick up the ballot paper and hand it to the officials. She certainly shouldn't have looked at it.

But are you extending your hypothesis to claim "all MPs are bent"? You'd have to justify that!

[Edit] another thought. How did it come to happen that you were just in the 'right place' to prevent this 'councillor' from performing this allegedly 'illegal act'? Coincidence?
Last edited by 661-Pete on 29 Mar 2019, 11:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps we could think of how all this may be seen in future. There will be those on here who have joked about the Diet of Worms, wondered why we'd go to war with Spain over Jenkin's Ear, and felt unclear about the Pragmatic Sanction. We've wrestled with the facts about Boznia-Herzogovina before the spread of soccer, been surprised when Jethro Tull turned out to be a pop group, and remember Arkwright as the inventor of cotton spinning machinery, rather than a character played by Ronnie Barker with a soft spot for Nurse Gladys.

Let's spare a thought for those of our descendants who face exam questions about Brexit.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Hmm.
How about a quote from one B Johnson in the week following the referendum:-

"We are going to deliver Brexit and make a Titanic success of it"

The audience exchanged glances and then laughed.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Hmm.

The audience exchanged glances and then laughed.

The ambiguity means it has to take second place to Lord Buckethead's accurate prediction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eQ0s4SBefU (NSFW)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps we could think of how all this may be seen in future. There will be those on here who have joked about the Diet of Worms, wondered why we'd go to war with Spain over Jenkin's Ear, and felt unclear about the Pragmatic Sanction. We've wrestled with the facts about Boznia-Herzogovina before the spread of soccer, been surprised when Jethro Tull turned out to be a pop group, and remember Arkwright as the inventor of cotton spinning machinery, rather than a character played by Ronnie Barker with a soft spot for Nurse Gladys.

Let's spare a thought for those of our descendants who face exam questions about Brexit.

Mary Beard got there first

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/the-brexit-exam/
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

landsurfer wrote:Our politicians have had one decision to make, after 30 years of tugging their forelocks to their unelected EU masters, and thy have failed.
Traitors
Traitors all ..................

Don't worry landsurfer, if we take part in the EU elections you will be able to vote for your own choice of unelected EU masters.
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:
Mick F wrote:I would reckon that the posters on this thread are 99% Remain and the Leavers form a tiny tiny minuscule minority. This is not representative of the rest of the county.

+1

Our politicians have had one decision to make, after 30 years of tugging their forelocks to their unelected EU masters, and thy have failed.
Traitors

I agree with you.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It appears, todays Brex**it demo in London was well stocked by neo-nazis of the Robinson/Yaxley-L ilk. Reported as chanting "bye bye EU".

Why does it bring to my mind this memorable clip from Schindler's List?

Brex**iteers on here, stick to your opinions if you must, but please distance yourselves from this stuff. Else I may as well jump...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Reading that two words come to mind. Cock and bull.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
syklist

Post by syklist »

It looks like the May WA is properly dead now, (rather than just pining for the fjords) unless a significant number of opposition MP's change their minds. The EU won't change the WA and the DUP would rather stay in the EU than support the deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/30/dup-deputy-leader-id-rather-stay-in-eu-than-back-theresa-may-deal
syklist

Post by syklist »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Hmm.

Does that mean we are going to get an overly long romanticised "Brexit" film at some point in the future? With Hollywood actors in the roles of the aged Beleaver couple fighting for the freedom of their country from the tyranny of the "EUSSR".

Or perhaps an "Allo allo" style farce reducing Brexit to a set of double entendres would be more palatable for most people?

Any other suggestions for film/TV genres that would be appropriate?
syklist

Post by syklist »

landsurfer wrote:
Mick F wrote:I would reckon that the posters on this thread are 99% Remain and the Leavers form a tiny tiny minuscule minority. This is not representative of the rest of the county.

+1

Our politicians have had one decision to make, after 30 years of tugging their forelocks to their unelected EU masters, and thy have failed.
Traitors

Please be careful with such labels.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/18/thomas-mair-charged-with-of-mp-jo-cox