** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
syklist

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by syklist »

Vorpal wrote:
syklist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Care to explain?

I'd also really, really like to hear how the EU interferes with the internal affairs of member countries.

You forgot about the superstate & banana controls.... :wink:

Ah, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson...

Are you sure it was not bandana controls? No, no, silly me, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a woolly hat kind of bloke.

So long and thanks for all the fish...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

syklist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:
You said that with a straight face :lol:

Care to explain?

I'd also really, really like to hear how the EU interferes with the internal affairs of member countries.

Easy. We have to comply with vehicle safety regulations, for a start. How dare they! They force us to privatise our power, water and railways. They make us sell weapons to the Saudis. They forced austerity on us and made us give tax breaks to the rich.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

Don't forget HS2, the expansion of Heathrow, the building of Hinkley Point, the £x billion road building programme, the lack of cycling facilities, our nuclear weapons, dragging their feet on the plastic bag tax and support for unrestricted fracking. And that's what the UK has managed to do despite the EU - God knows what the EU has actually prevented.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Enough of these trivial examples. Bananas, that's what it's about.

(remind me, is it straight bananas or curved bananas I'm supposed to be cross about)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:Don't forget HS2, the expansion of Heathrow, the building of Hinkley Point, the £x billion road building programme, the lack of cycling facilities, our nuclear weapons, dragging their feet on the plastic bag tax and support for unrestricted fracking. And that's what the UK has managed to do despite the EU - God knows what the EU has actually prevented.

It hasn't prevented homelessness increasing fourfold under the current strong and stable government :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
syklist

Post by syklist »

Oldjohnw wrote:
syklist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Care to explain?

Easy. We have to comply with vehicle safety regulations, for a start. How dare they! They force us to privatise our power, water and railways. They make us sell weapons to the Saudis. They forced austerity on us and made us give tax breaks to the rich.

Not to mention forcing us to watch Mr Blobby.

And what about the Battle of Hastings if that isn't an example of the EU not only meddling in our internal affairs but actually invading us. The cheek of it!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting report showing how "easy" it is for EU citizens to register for "settled status" in the UK
[url="[url]https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ofsted-brexit-daniel-muijs-settled-status-eu-immigration-a8861401.html[/url]"]Ofsted director Daniel Muijs ‘denied’ settled status after Brexit

The head of research at Ofsted, who has lived in the UK for more than 20 years, said his application for "settled status" in the UK after Brexit was rejected due to insufficient evidence.
Mr Muijs said that he had already provided his national insurance number but he must now find P60 forms and council tax bills.[/url]
Hardly going to encourage the EU about how we are going to treat their citizens (I feel another Windrush coming on).

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

syklist wrote:Are you sure it was not bandana controls? No, no, silly me, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a woolly hat kind of bloke.

He's an undeclared assets kind of bloke: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47854338
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:The head of research at Ofsted, who has lived in the UK for more than 20 years, said his application for "settled status" in the UK after Brexit was rejected due to insufficient evidence.
Mr Muijs said that he had already provided his national insurance number but he must now find P60 forms and council tax bills.[/url]
Hardly going to encourage the EU about how we are going to treat their citizens (I feel another Windrush coming on).

If you read the background (maybe not in all articles), it's even worse than "lived in the UK for more than 20 years" - apart from a student job in a burger place, his entire career has been working for the UK public sector, first in universities (whose jobs almost always have a local residency requirement), then at Ofsted. The government has literally paid him to live and work here the whole time and now they're saying that they can't confirm the fact from their own records!

I'm not sure if this is another Windrush or if this government would contrive to run out of alcoholic drinks at an event in a brewery! :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
syklist

Post by syklist »

reohn2 wrote:It hasn't prevented homelessness increasing fourfold under the current strong and stable government :?

From the Guardian live feed: 16:11

"In the Brexit debate Matthew Pennycook, the shadow Brexit minister, is speaking for Labour.

He condemns the government’s handling of the Brexit process, and particularly criticises Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, for this morning giving credence to the “fantastical notion” that the EU will be willing to reopen the withdrawal agreement. (See 9.35am.)

It is long past time that government ministers stopped peddling myths to indulge the hardliners on their own back benches.

Labour’s Angela Eagle intervenes, and asks Pennycook to condemn the hardline Brexiters in the European Research Group who are saying the UK will disrupt the EU if it is made to stay in.

Pennycook agrees. He says the ERG MPs saying this are the same people who claimed the UK had no influence when it was a member."

:roll:
syklist

Post by syklist »

mjr wrote:The government has literally paid him to live and work here the whole time and now they're saying that they can't confirm the fact from their own records!

I'm not sure if this is another Windrush or if this government would contrive to run out of alcoholic drinks at an event in a brewery! :roll:

This is another reason why the UK needs a central register of residents as many other countries have. In Norway (and IIRC the Netherlands) all legal residents are registered in a central database. In the case of Norway it is called the "Folkeregister". It doesn't help with people in the country illegally but it does help for those who live or have lived here with a right to stay. Note you don't have to have (had) a taxable income to be registered in the Folkeregister.

"Folkeregisteret omfatter nøkkelopplysninger om alle personer som er eller har vært bosatt i Norge. Her melder du flytting, at du gifter deg eller dødsfall, endrer navn og bestiller attester. "

Source : https://www.skatteetaten.no/person/folkeregister/

Via Google translate.
"The Population Register includes key information about all persons who are or have been resident in Norway. Here you report relocation, that you marry or death, change your name and order certificates."
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

syklist wrote:
mjr wrote:The government has literally paid him to live and work here the whole time and now they're saying that they can't confirm the fact from their own records!

This is another reason why the UK needs a central register of residents as many other countries have. In Norway (and IIRC the Netherlands) .....

You mean like the HMRC database, or the electoral register or the DWP NI database, etc.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

syklist wrote:

This is another reason why the UK needs a central register of residents as many other countries have. In Norway (and IIRC the Netherlands) all legal residents are registered in a central database. In the case of Norway it is called the "Folkeregister". It doesn't help with people in the country illegally but it does help for those who live or have lived here with a right to stay. Note you don't have to have (had) a taxable income to be registered in the Folkeregister.

As the UK government can't keep its tax payment records straight and that's a matter of money, why should we expect it would be able to keep a residents register where mistakes wouldn't cost them anything?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Today seems to have been a string of ERG/supporter of brexit MPs coming out with threats about how the UK will disrupt the EU Parliament if we go through MEP elections. Which all seems a bit childish and I (maybe simplistically) think they are just trying to affect the EU decision about a long extension (i.e. to encourage no or short extension to "get rid of the UK to prevent them messing us all up!").

And none of them seem to spot the hypocrisy in their threats where, previously they were denouncing how the UK had no real influence in the EU Parliament but now seem to think we have such a lot of influence we can badly disrupt them.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:Today seems to have been a string of ERG/supporter of brexit MPs coming out with threats about how the UK will disrupt the EU Parliament if we go through MEP elections. Which all seems a bit childish and I (maybe simplistically) think they are just trying to affect the EU decision about a long extension (i.e. to encourage no or short extension to "get rid of the UK to prevent them messing us all up!").

And none of them seem to spot the hypocrisy in their threats where, previously they were denouncing how the UK had no real influence in the EU Parliament but now seem to think we have such a lot of influence we can badly disrupt them.

Ian

The ERG and their supporters are a millstone around the neck of the UK and have been all along,with Moggie the biggest weight of all.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden