** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hello there, Plu 2 for Lancedopestrong :D .
Minus 2 for the "Billy Graham Imitator :roll: . MM

You share your beliefs, often unevidenced. I assume others can do the same.

Lance and Bryn both seem to feel they are on the outside of something looking in, in a sort of scientific fashion (i.e disinterested). Although I would like to feel the same, I can't. Sadly I live in the same universe as every other human. In this case, in the same country-gone-mad. :-)

As to the Jonathan Meades piece and it's tiny quote, which seems to have stimulated Lance, Pete75 then Bryn ....... it is a heavy mock of our national situation and some of the causes (Cameron, mob) but that's just his style.

Lance feels this style is somehow divisive of itself, which may be so but a chasm made one foot wider is still just a chasm.

Pete seems to have been sidetracked by a tiny bit of biblical, which is not exactly central to the Meades mock.

Bryn is siding with "sweetness and light" whilst indulging himself slightly in a snide at a Christian.

I am doing extremely amateur psychology 101. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
100%JR wrote:Delayed again until Halloween :lol:

Frightening innit? ........for some :)

Just revoke article 50 now so we can try to restore some credibility :|

You never know we may come to our senses yet! :wink:

We have already seen MPs turn down the revoke a 50.
After recently signing to trigger it.
So as it's a legal standpoint, do you want the will of the people to vote on that one?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello there, Dragging religion into this process is quite unhelpful & unnecessary, too divisive!
A case of "My God Washes Whiter Than Yours"! Not conducive with gaining any form of agreement.
I hated my time spent attending church schools, not an option I would have taken, horrible.
Why we still have religiously segregated schools in this day and age is beyond my ken?
I try to respect the faith of others, but resent being forced to suffer the diatribe created by such man made forms of control.
Having worked with a wide range of religious followers, I am immune to coercive prodding, even enjoying their lapses in faith practises? One group of followers of Judaism often stated that they enjoyed a nice "White Steak", a euphemism for a tasty pork escalope! (not available at any kosher eating house) :shock:
So please keep to common ground, that way we can't be accused of bad faith. IGICB MM
syklist

Post by syklist »

reohn2 wrote:

Yes it is shocking how the EU is interfering the internal politics of a member state, that is by giving the UK's clearly unpopular government more time to try to sort out a political mess of their own making.

:wink:
So long and thanks for all the fish...
syklist

Post by syklist »

bovlomov wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
mercalia wrote: ... and with it make it more easy to detect illegal migrants

Without a really intrusive ID system, I don't see how that would work.

I suppose it would work along the lines of May's 'hostile environment'. The onus would be on landlords, employers and others to enforce the law, and they would be the ones expected to check credentials. These unpaid agents of the state, living in constant fear of prosecution, overzealously apply the law, and even imagine laws that don't exist, leading to perfectly law-abiding folk being denied jobs, housing and healthcare.

I don't experience the Folkeregister as intrusive. It doesn't seem to be used in the way you describe.

It is not the technology you use that is the problem it is the political decisons made as to how that data is managed and used that makes a given system of data collection, intrusive or not.

The reason that May could set in place her "hostile environment" is that there are enough people in the UK who either support it or just don't care as it doesn't affect them. If the UK had had a system like the Folkeregister then I doubt that so many people, who are legally resident in the UK would have had so much trouble getting their status confirmed by the Home Office. Even under the "hostile environment".
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:

Is that more or less frightening than leaving the EU, For some :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cugel wrote:
Pete seems to have been sidetracked by a tiny bit of biblical, which is not exactly central to the Meades mock.

Cugel

He's mentioned the Barabas "mob" as if that were something bad whereas in terms of the Christian religion what that mob did was the right thing. Given that mistake his whole comparison fails.
If you want to understand why so many of the sort of people you look down on as the mob or plebs or just beings inferior to yourself and Meades I suggest you read Hired by James Bloodworth which describes what living and working conditions are like for folk at the bottom of the job market. The "mob" voted for Brexit out of dissatisfaction with their lives and probably as a protest against the two plump Tory boys leading for remain - David Cameron and George Osborne who, I suspect, regarded them in the same way as you and and Meades do.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:

So as it's a legal standpoint, do you want the will of the people to vote on that one?

I'd like to see another referendum on whether we stay in the EU and revoke A50 or we accept a much better deal than Mother Theresa has so far been able to muster.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:

I am glad to say my MP Helen Hayes for Dulwich and WestNorwood in London was one of about 100 MPs who voted against activating A50 those years ago. So she has a clear conscience. How did your MP vote?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:

Is that more or less frightening than leaving the EU, For some :)

Leaving the EU anytime is more frightening than staying.
I'll post my view again about the EU so you'll understand my position.
I suffer no illusions as to the problems with the EU,however for the UK to leave will mean economic suicide or at least hobbling the country so bad itll struggle to recover.In the short to medium term say 15years in the doldrums,with the first 3 to 5 years being disasterous.

So we can trip along our merry way alone in the world to be picked off by other more powerful nations with the ordinary people on the street suffering the worst of all which could lead to civil unrest to a great magnitude as their current lifestyle goes down the pan.OTOH we stay in and influence the EU for the better whilst reaping the benefits of membership.

One thing's for sure though,under the present state of government in the UK the rich will get richer,and the poor will get poorer,so stop blaming the EU and put the blame where it belongs,firmly on the heads of those sitting in Westminster.
If anyone thinks this governemnt cares for anyone but the those who fund their party they are deluded,are looking through tinted lenses,and should've gone to specsavers.

But then I'm addressing someone who voted leave on "gut feeling" so I don't expect them to listen to facts and reason.
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Apr 2019, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, Dragging religion into this process is quite unhelpful & unnecessary, too divisive!
A case of "My God Washes Whiter Than Yours"! Not conducive with gaining any form of agreement.
I hated my time spent attending church schools, not an option I would have taken, horrible.
Why we still have religiously segregated schools in this day and age is beyond my ken?
I try to respect the faith of others, but resent being forced to suffer the diatribe created by such man made forms of control.
Having worked with a wide range of religious followers, I am immune to coercive prodding, even enjoying their lapses in faith practises? One group of followers of Judaism often stated that they enjoyed a nice "White Steak", a euphemism for a tasty pork escalope! (not available at any kosher eating house) :shock:
So please keep to common ground, that way we can't be accused of bad faith. IGICB MM

Not dragging religion into it at all. I'm no great believer. What I was pointing that comparing Brexit to mob democracy and trying to disparage that mob by associating it with the one which allegedly caused the crucifixion by choosing to set Barabbas free isn't exactly a good comparison.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
syklist

Post by syklist »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, Dragging religion into this process is quite unhelpful & unnecessary, too divisive!

I dunno, it seems quite appropriate, given that Brexit appears to be some sort of rapture based belief system that actively denies the need to listen to any sort of expert (except those "experts" appointed by the faith).

There is a reason why the term "Beleaver" has been coined.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:

Not dragging religion into it at all. I'm no great believer. What I was pointing that comparing Brexit to mob democracy and trying to disparage that mob by associating it with the one which allegedly caused the crucifixion by choosing to set Barabbas free isn't exactly a good comparison.

And you were spot on in that description IMO.However some choose not to see the light,or perhaps are blinded by it! :wink:
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cant see how the May delay will solve anything. Wondering what the plan is if there is one? What a palavar!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Cant see how the May delay will solve anything. Wondering what the plan is if there is one? What a palavar!

Al

Really? Some of us have been predicting sequential delays for a while. Wonder how we knew...