** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:Some say Brexiters aren't stupid. Here's proof at least some of them are ....

https://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2019 ... -127712781

Boston also found fame as the fattest town in Britain. The immigrants from the Baltic have probably lowered the average weight markedly.
The town elected the Boston Bypass Independents to run the council. No bypass yet, and it would do no good anyway.
We have also had race riots, fights with Portugese and E. Europeans.
Field work, what the Septics call stoop labour, was done by locals in my youth. If it were not for the immigrants the crops would rot in the fields.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nah they are Banksies ( is that his name?)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:Some say Brexiters aren't stupid. Here's proof at least some of them are ....

Boston also found fame as the fattest town in Britain. The immigrants from the Baltic have probably lowered the average weight markedly.
The town elected the Boston Bypass Independents to run the council. No bypass yet, and it would do no good anyway.
We have also had race riots, fights with Portugese and E. Europeans.
Field work, what the Septics call stoop labour, was done by locals in my youth. If it were not for the immigrants the crops would rot in the fields.

There's always been fights in Boston - way before all the EU migrants came. My wife used to prosecute a lot of cases from the Boston/Spalding area in the mid eighties and the majority were for violence. Incest cases weren't uncommon either. If any two towns in the country need their gene pools widening it's Boston and Spalding. They should be grateful for the influx of new blood.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:The town elected the Boston Bypass Independents to run the council. No bypass yet, and it would do no good anyway.

Classic mimickry of UKIP: use a populist topic to get elected to a layer of government which doesn't have power to do it. What a surprise that worked in Boston in both borough and European elections, eh?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:The town elected the Boston Bypass Independents to run the council. No bypass yet, and it would do no good anyway.

Classic mimickry of UKIP: use a populist topic to get elected to a layer of government which doesn't have power to do it. What a surprise that worked in Boston in both borough and European elections, eh?

It's local government which often does have the power to do it.
The irony is that when a bypass for Boston was proposed in the seventies the local council was against it on the grounds it would take passing trade away so an inner relief road, the awful John Adams Way, was sliced through the town instead cutting through some of the old historic streets. At least you lot in Lynn got a proper bypass East West and North South so don't knock Boston for wanting one.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

The depressing thing is that it's almost 100% certain that the moron who did that has no idea what the effect of WTO rules would be. I have yet to find a leaver who has, though I have come across many who happily make up any old lies about it. And it's easy enough to find out the truth, the WTO have a very informative website on how their rules work, and there are other places where the effects have been explained. When I've referenced them, I don't think one leaver has ever followed the links. Either that, or they did, found they were completely wrong about the effects, and hadn't the guts to admit it.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:

The irony is that when a bypass for Boston was proposed in the seventies the local council was against it on the grounds it would take passing trade away so an inner relief road, the awful John Adams Way, was sliced through the town instead cutting through some of the old historic streets. At least you lot in Lynn got a proper bypass East West and North South so don't knock Boston for wanting one.

Bypasses can wreck local trade. It really depends on the overall circumstances.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Brexit: there really is no impasse

I'm a bit tired of hearing about the impasse in Parliament. There is no impasse: we're actually still in the EU, at least until October probably and so life goes on almost as normal. To get the UK to leave the EU you need a bit more than a narrow win in a murky referendum: you need a sustained campaign, most MPs behind you, clear answers to some of the problems thrown up by a mad-cap idea and a consistent majority in the polls. Brexit has none of these things. It's a damp squib well past its use-by date, with the vast majority of young, energetic people opposed to it and relying on a couple of well-worn catch-phrases. So, unsurprisingly, it's going nowhere at the moment. More surprising is that people are surprised by this. So we carry on, ignoring the burble of betrayal in the background. The "impasse" in in the minds of people who would like to see Brexit - the rest of us get on with our lives.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Flinders wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Classic mimickry of UKIP: use a populist topic to get elected to a layer of government which doesn't have power to do it. What a surprise that worked in Boston in both borough and European elections, eh?

Bypasses can wreck local trade. It really depends on the overall circumstances.

Well recently they were complaining no bypass had that effect.

I'm sure it did way back when John Adams Way was built. In Boston the roads really got clogged up with traffic going to Skeggy in the holiday season - a street called Narrow Bargate actually formed part of the main A52 road from the East Midlands whence Skeg got much of it's holiday trade. This would have put many off going to Boston for their Saturday shopping and I doubt many, if any, of the Skeg bound sitting in the traffic queues parked up and went shopping in Boston. The same narrow town centre street was shared by the A16 road used by heavy traffic from the south travelling to Grimsby and Immingham docks. Not the best way to have a pleasant, welcoming town centre people want to visit.
So called inner relief roads and town centre road widenings done at the behest of local small businessmen sitting as councillors have blighted too many of our old market towns.
mjr

Post by mjr »

So instead, in the 1980s, families like mine sat in jams in John Adams Way deterring people from going into Boston to do their Saturday shopping because we were blocking the main routes and causing tailbacks because there were few traffic lights and we had priority over local traffic while we queued to the next bottleneck (probably the A16/A52 split junction. The council should have built a large car park south of it and built a pretty bridge past the jams.

The road would have been under the control of national or county government. There's very little Boston Borough Council can do about it except beg for it by including it in local planning policies and so on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:At least you lot in Lynn got a proper bypass East West and North South so don't knock Boston for wanting one.

Well, we have an East and a South but they don't connect properly and the roads they were meant to bypass remain open to through traffic so now we have more roads jammed up each rush hour and summer Saturday. The "Northern bypass" is half a bypass and connects to a relief road which cut through a load of historic streets and dumps drivers at the opposite side of the town centre to the biggest car parks! There is no West bypass.

It never qualified for any EU objective funding AFAIK. Probably as well.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

If democracy means anything anymore in this country, we should leave the undemocratic EU immediately before we damage irreparably what little faith the majority of the voters have left in the vipers nest that is parliment. The local elections were a joke, the staff at the polling station almost fainted with glee when I turned up like the last man on earth. I voted out of revolting disgust for the green fraggle rock party canditate whoever he, she, they are etc.( if they all wore red noses they might be taken as seriously as regular politicians.) I wonder if remainers can imagine what it feels like to cast your democratic vote, your choice wins, then the majority of the government patronize the result, backed up by their minions in the media, while lick spittle celebrities wag their fingers at the ignorant racist plebs who dared to want independance. Well I guess the future will reveal that.
Last edited by windmiller on 4 May 2019, 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

My town has several bypasses and two monstrous Shopping Heavens in the suburbs
The old town is 'dying'*, rents fall and several food stores have opened
* rubbish, it is full of tourists and dwellings, +1!

I hardly ever go to a monstrous Shopping Heaven, it frightens me :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Undemocratic EU for which we have elections by PR in two weeks.

And leaving the EU was scuppered by the hard leavers. If anything, it is the UK which is undemocratic. For nearly three years the main parties refuse to talk to each other. The minority government is propped up by a completely undemocratic party whose leader is not even an elected MP.

Scratches head.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 4 May 2019, 2:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:At least you lot in Lynn got a proper bypass East West and North South so don't knock Boston for wanting one.

Well, we have an East and a South but they don't connect properly and the roads they were meant to bypass remain open to through traffic so now we have more roads jammed up each rush hour and summer Saturday. The "Northern bypass" is half a bypass and connects to a relief road which cut through a load of historic streets and dumps drivers at the opposite side of the town centre to the biggest car parks! There is no West bypass.

It never qualified for any EU objective funding AFAIK. Probably as well.

Hmm now unless Hardwick Roundabout and the one next to it have vanished they do connect properly. The North South bypass is the Hunstanton Road and it goes nowhere near any historic streets.