** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

Time for a musical interlude?:- https://youtu.be/IzSQDuMI7WE
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 May 2019, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
And poorer members of society of whatever age. It's with some justice though that the rust belt residents who voted in droves for Brexit will not only suffer the most from the Brexit recession but also from the policies of Boris who they blindly followed into voting that way.

That is very poor comfort.

It's a very odd conception of justice. It's also somewhat fallacious, note the large affluent blue areas.

mjr

Post by mjr »

Poor graphic. The 2016 results should be grouped into counties for the comparison.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mjr wrote:Poor graphic. The 2016 results should be grouped into counties for the comparison.

I look forward to your full psephological analysis!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
And poorer members of society of whatever age. It's with some justice though that the rust belt residents who voted in droves for Brexit will not only suffer the most from the Brexit recession but also from the policies of Boris who they blindly followed into voting that way.

It's a very odd conception of justice. It's also somewhat fallacious, note the large affluent blue areas.

Most so called rust belt areas voted for Brexit. Just because some affluent areas voted for it doesn't alter that fact. Of course it's justice if people in some Brexit voting areas suffer the most as a result of their vote. Democracy in action - they'll get what they voted for despite being warned about the consequences. It's going to hit 66% leave voting Scunthorpe very soon and it serves them right.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:Time for a musical interlude?:- https://youtu.be/IzSQDuMI7WE

Also
[youtube]3g1khAgyD9s[/youtube]
Although I don't think is is entirely about then events of today.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

An interesting comment on Newsnight (from a "talking-head") that our next Prime Minister (and thus the countrie spolicy on Brexit) will be chosen by 0.27% of the countru with an average age of 70.

On checking, the figures are confirmed, https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-resigns-speech-conservative-members-prime-minister-boris-johnson-tory-a8928426.html gives says 0.25% and https://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group-finds-average-age-conservative-party-member-72 says average member age is 72 years (though other sources give a different figure).

But it does illustrate how the type of Brexit and thus the future of the country, damage to our economy and who suffers will be chosen by a unbelievably small un-representative group of people.

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:But it does illustrate how the type of Brexit and thus the future of the country, damage to our economy and who suffers will be chosen by a unbelievably small un-representative group of people.

Only if Parliament lets them.

As I understand it, with the support of Parliament the speaker could allow MPs a further say in what happens, even if the PM plans to crash out.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Most so called rust belt areas voted for Brexit. Just because some affluent areas voted for it doesn't alter that fact. Of course it's justice if people in some Brexit voting areas suffer the most as a result of their vote. Democracy in action - they'll get what they voted for despite being warned about the consequences. It's going to hit 66% leave voting Scunthorpe very soon and it serves them right.

yes stupidity is its own reward
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:An interesting comment on Newsnight (from a "talking-head") that our next Prime Minister (and thus the countrie spolicy on Brexit) will be chosen by 0.27% of the countru with an average age of 70.

On checking, the figures are confirmed, https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-resigns-speech-conservative-members-prime-minister-boris-johnson-tory-a8928426.html gives says 0.25% and https://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group-finds-average-age-conservative-party-member-72 says average member age is 72 years (though other sources give a different figure).

But it does illustrate how the type of Brexit and thus the future of the country, damage to our economy and who suffers will be chosen by a unbelievably small un-representative group of people.

Ian

its a shame that Mrs May didnt as a parting shot do the right thing and call a GE? ( you dont want me , lets see if they want you :twisted: )Atleast she would have got one thing probably right
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Time for a musical interlude?:- https://youtu.be/IzSQDuMI7WE

Also
[youtube]3g1khAgyD9s[/youtube]
Although I don't think is is entirely about then events of today.

Ian

Thanks for that,nice if a bit 'floaty' and flat.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Mick F wrote:Swear box?
This is on the bar at The Rising Sun.
Money to St Luke's Hospice SW.

It struck me as rather odd/ incongruous that the Rising Sun should have a "Brexit" swear box given that Mick has stated he has never met a remain person!
Do arguments, in said establishment, center on what sort/ or degree of Brexit folk want?

Or is the topic merely banned because the clientele and the landlord are so biased and bone headed?
Or?
It's because it's endlessly being talked about. It's tiresome going round in circles - much like this thread?

The main conversation subject - different to this thread - is how to get rid of the stupid parliament we have and elect one that will get us out asap.

Tiresome and frustrating.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Hmm, sounds rather simplistic.
Just get rid of parliament and vote in one that does the bidding of the Rising Sun?
I am surprised that that particular slant didn't run it's course pretty fast.
Deep thinking lot down your way, that much is clear.

Perhaps you should get rid of the swear box and put up a sign " Remainers welcome", then the "tiresome" debate might get a bit more interesting and stimulating.

I still find it hard to believe a Remainer has never darkened the door (of the Rising Sun!) though, or are you being economical with the truth about that?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

It's not me that's complaining.

Nor me, what's not to like :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:The main conversation subject - different to this thread - is how to get rid of the stupid parliament we have and elect one that will get us out asap.

I agree with you for once: any parliament that would get us out would be a stupid one!

Cornwall Council soon changed their tune when they realised what it would mean, that the UK will never replace the EU funding that Cornwall gets, that the recognition of Cornwall as a region and Cornish as an ethnicity will be under threat!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.