** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7807
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Jun 2019, 10:43pm

Mike Sales wrote:If we don't have to change our regulations, presumably we won't be importing chlorinated chicken?
Chlorination of chicken meat in the USA is needed because of the insanitary process of its production. The dangers of poisonous bacteria on meat products are rather greater than on fruit.


Rather than UK chicken which is covered in Campobactor and is notorious for poisoning millennials :lol: What about the imported Thai stuff hotels buy in Makro?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

windmiller
Posts: 411
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 3 Jun 2019, 10:50pm

brynpoeth wrote:
windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.

The greens are surging all over Europe, should be leading a gaily-mixed coalition in Germany in a few months (green red yellow?)


The Greens always do well in Germany. I've even voted for them in the past here as a protest vote. I prefer them to the hideous Merkel, they couldn't make a bigger fist of Europe than she has. However I'm sure they don't have the steel and grasp of reality to run anything larger than a Vegetarian cafe in middle class heaven.
Last edited by windmiller on 3 Jun 2019, 11:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14050
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mjr » 3 Jun 2019, 10:53pm

windmiller wrote:The Greens always do well in Germany. I've even voted for them in the past here as a protest vote.

Protest vote? Come off it. You voted for their solid enviro-socialist policies, didn't you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2
Posts: 36413
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 3 Jun 2019, 10:55pm

al_yrpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:If we don't have to change our regulations, presumably we won't be importing chlorinated chicken?
Chlorination of chicken meat in the USA is needed because of the insanitary process of its production. The dangers of poisonous bacteria on meat products are rather greater than on fruit.


Rather than UK chicken which is covered in Campobactor and is notorious for poisoning millennials :lol: What about the imported Thai stuff hotels buy in Makro?

Al

Waddabout not eating chicken at all,I haven't touched meat in 25years and never missed it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

windmiller
Posts: 411
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 3 Jun 2019, 11:02pm

mjr wrote:
windmiller wrote:The Greens always do well in Germany. I've even voted for them in the past here as a protest vote.

Protest vote? Come off it. You voted for their solid enviro-socialist policies, didn't you?


Yes you got me there, also voted labour more than a few times - but I'm ok now.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3024
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PDQ Mobile » 3 Jun 2019, 11:08pm

windmiller wrote:The Greens always do well in Germany. I've even voted for them in the past here as a protest vote. I prefer them to the hidious Merkel, they couldn't make a bigger fist of Europe than she has. However I'm sure they don't have the steel and grasp of reality to run anything larger than a Vegetarian cafe in middle class heaven.


Still it's oh so easy to criticise from a position of no power.
And very common these days.

It's as if all one needed was the right leader/party and all the problems of the world would be solved at a stroke.
Dream on, and a dangerous simplification,IMV. There are precedents!

Still you seem to think Farage, the absolutely untried and tested, will solve all the UK's problems.
All I know about his political career is that he likes to fiddle expenses etc, not attend anything resembling work and be negative about just about anything but his own big ego -not an auspicious portent.

Merkel is long serving and has proved herself to be pretty straight IMV.
Hard working and thorough.
Clever too, with a touch of humanity.

Hideous is a funny word but I would apply it elsewhere.

windmiller
Posts: 411
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 3 Jun 2019, 11:35pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
windmiller wrote:The Greens always do well in Germany. I've even voted for them in the past here as a protest vote. I prefer them to the hidious Merkel, they couldn't make a bigger fist of Europe than she has. However I'm sure they don't have the steel and grasp of reality to run anything larger than a Vegetarian cafe in middle class heaven.


Still it's oh so easy to criticise from a position of no power.
And very common these days.

It's as if all one needed was the right leader/party and all the problems of the world would be solved at a stroke.
Dream on, and a dangerous simplification,IMV. There are precedents!

Still you seem to think Farage, the absolutely untried and tested, will solve all the UK's problems.
All I know about his political career is that he likes to fiddle expenses etc, not attend anything resembling work and be negative about just about anything but his own big ego -not an auspicious portent.

Merkel is long serving and has proved herself to be pretty straight IMV.
Hard working and thorough.
Clever too, with a touch of humanity.

Hideous is a funny word but I would apply it elsewhere.


No I don't think Farage will solve the UK's problems, he's more of a mischief maker on a mission. He might well make a space for someone more reliable who will though, after the rotten apple cart has been shaken up.
Merkel is long serving but naive and only appears to be clever because she doesn't say much. The future will be the judge of her humanity.
Hideous was a typo, I meant donkey witch.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11286
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby brynpoeth » 4 Jun 2019, 3:39am

The greens would be in a coalition, not alone, that is a good partnerly thing in theory and in practice
Of course they have changed and are far less radical than they were :?

Generation Greta had no votes but many instructed their parents + grandparents to vote green :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Bowedw
Posts: 281
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 10:26pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Bowedw » 4 Jun 2019, 6:11am

windmiller wrote:I apologise for voting the wrong way. Maybe i will vote the right way the next time. I must remember to ask remainers for all the facts because they are the only ones on the planet who have access to them.

How silly of you windmiller, Blair has educated us all on the folly of our decision to leave this money grabbing bloated club and being such an honest man he must be right.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17321
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Vorpal » 4 Jun 2019, 8:52am

windmiller wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
The inconvenient truth is Widdecombe's long history of homophobia, which you are now attempting to ignore via your diversion.

Address the issue.


Seems you would rather sweat the small stuff than that which really matters

Widdecombe says horrible & inappropriate things about LGBTQ people. The history is well documented by reputable sources.

Your post suggests that this is 'small stuff' when it most certainly is not. It is prejudice.

Anne Widdecombe wrote an article in 2012 in support of gay conversion therapy (which is against the ethical code of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). When asked about it recently, she backed up her article and said that science may produce an answer to being gay. Perphaps you prefer sky news (who recorded the interview) https://news.sky.com/story/ann-widdecom ... y-11733559

It is prejudice. And it is prejudice that is harmful to vulnerable LGBTQ people.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 308
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Pastychomper » 4 Jun 2019, 11:07am

Vorpal wrote:
windmiller wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
The inconvenient truth is Widdecombe's long history of homophobia, which you are now attempting to ignore via your diversion.

Address the issue.


Seems you would rather sweat the small stuff than that which really matters

Widdecombe says horrible & inappropriate things about LGBTQ people. The history is well documented by reputable sources.

Your post suggests that this is 'small stuff' when it most certainly is not. It is prejudice.

Anne Widdecombe wrote an article in 2012 in support of gay conversion therapy (which is against the ethical code of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). When asked about it recently, she backed up her article and said that science may produce an answer to being gay. Perphaps you prefer sky news (who recorded the interview) https://news.sky.com/story/ann-widdecom ... y-11733559

It is prejudice. And it is prejudice that is harmful to vulnerable LGBTQ people.


In the text of the linked article, Widdecombe took pains to insist that she was talking about people who are "discontented with" their sexuality, and that she didn't think they had any "chance" of help at present - which doesn't sound like she was advocating any existing "conversion therapy" to me. I wonder if the article's author assumes that Widdy thinks all homosexual people are "discontented" with their lot, which would cast a different light on the whole thing, but that wasn't what she said.

I'm definitely not saying Widdecombe is a saint, for all I know she might be everything she's accused of and worse (she was a Tory after all), but this is one area where I think it's worth being clear about what people actually say.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

Mike Sales
Posts: 3452
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Mike Sales » 4 Jun 2019, 11:32am

reohn2 wrote:Waddabout not eating chicken at all,I haven't touched meat in 25years and never missed it!


I gave up chicken and battery eggs years ago.
It seems squalid to eat animals raised and slaughtered in such disgusting conditions. My brother lasted less than a morning in a chicken processing plant.
Of course other meat production is unsupportable, but chickens get it worst, as far as I can see.
I admit to inconsistency but I eat little meat of any kind.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17321
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Vorpal » 4 Jun 2019, 11:53am

Pastychomper wrote:In the text of the linked article, Widdecombe took pains to insist that she was talking about people who are "discontented with" their sexuality, and that she didn't think they had any "chance" of help at present - which doesn't sound like she was advocating any existing "conversion therapy" to me. I wonder if the article's author assumes that Widdy thinks all homosexual people are "discontented" with their lot, which would cast a different light on the whole thing, but that wasn't what she said.

I'm definitely not saying Widdecombe is a saint, for all I know she might be everything she's accused of and worse (she was a Tory after all), but this is one area where I think it's worth being clear about what people actually say.

In 2011, the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy concluded that the gay conversion treatment Lesley Pilkington gave constituted "professional malpractice". https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/ ... -strudwick

they offered her the opportunity to regain her licence to practice by undergoing training. She refused and joined the Association of Christian Counsellors instead. She has since been expelled by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. The ACC have since banned the practice, saying
such models have the potential to create harm and therefore [we] view them as incompatible within the ethos of counselling.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ ... s-straight

Anne Widdecombe wrote a piece coming out in favour of the practice, and supporting Lesley Pilkington. https://www.express.co.uk/comment/colum ... -to-be-gay
This denies science which finds such therapies to be not only unsuccessful, but actually harmful https://www.livescience.com/50453-why-g ... rmful.html

That was the controversy that she was asked about in the interview. That prompted her 'science may produce an answer'.
To back it up again, 7 years later, after all the press and explanations? I think that's pretty clear.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3024
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PDQ Mobile » 4 Jun 2019, 12:26pm

windmiller wrote:
No I don't think Farage will solve the UK's problems, he's more of a mischief maker on a mission. He might well make a space for someone more reliable who will though, after the rotten apple cart has been shaken up.
Merkel is long serving but naive and only appears to be clever because she doesn't say much. The future will be the judge of her humanity.
Hideous was a typo, I meant donkey witch.

It's a bit more than mischief giving his known associations with the far right wing element.
And you do not address the point about his fiddling of expenses and poor attendance
Either you state you want out and then stick with it or you start playing games.
His resignation after the referendum says it all really- unable to deal with any real power.

As for Ms Merkel being quiet and therefore appearing clever, I suppose by the same logic a great windbag like Trump is clever because his shoots his horrible sphinterlike mouth off at every opportunity, mostly as insults to all and sundry. Diplomacy is a skill and a worthwhile skill.
Ms Merkel has it.
(Boris doesn't, sadly)

I agree the future will judge her humanity.

reohn2
Posts: 36413
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jun 2019, 12:47pm

The chlorinated chicken issue,whilst important in itself,is a side show and only a symptom of what's to come if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
The USA will take us to the cleaners for their own business interests,anyone who can't see that is blind.
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jun 2019, 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.