** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 29 Jun 2019, 3:37pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

Which is exactly what you lot on the far right want for this country - just like it was during the industrial revolution.. Zero hours contracts, minimum wage as maximum wage for most, women back to the home, out of EU so get rid of workers rights, no trade unions, no benefits so accept just above starvation wages or starve and be "disappeared" if you complain.
Tell us how life would be in your right wing, authoritarian paradise.

Even if I agreed with most of what you say above, which I don't. It would still be a much better place to be than China.

Oh so you want an even nastier society than the one I described. Doesn't surprise me at all.

No not at all, I just don't want a society like China which you think is great.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 29 Jun 2019, 8:28pm

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:Which is exactly what you lot on the far right want for this country - just like it was during the industrial revolution.. Zero hours contracts, minimum wage as maximum wage for most, women back to the home, out of EU so get rid of workers rights, no trade unions, no benefits so accept just above starvation wages or starve and be "disappeared" if you complain.
Tell us how life would be in your right wing, authoritarian paradise.

Even if I agreed with most of what you say above, which I don't. It would still be a much better place to be than China.

Oh so you want an even nastier society than the one I described. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Wrong again - I never said that. What's wrong with China in your view? Surely the government is authoritarian enough for you?

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 29 Jun 2019, 10:12pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Wrong again - I never said that. What's wrong with China in your view? Surely the government is authoritarian enough for you?

I would have thought China with its' mantra of " All people are equal but some people are more equal than others" would appeal more to your politics than mine.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 30 Jun 2019, 9:48am

Hi,
Something good about the EU.
A new law is due to come in about electric vehicles having a sound and emitting device.
I have been standing on a quiet remote country lane, a hybrid past me, I never knew it was there till it appeared behind the hedge.........

All four wheeled vehicles.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 30 Jun 2019, 10:01am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
A new law is due to come in about electric vehicles having a sound and emitting device.
I have been standing on a quiet remote country lane, a hybrid past me, I never knew it was there till it appeared behind the hedge.........

Was it doing more than 12mph? If so then even with the new rules it wouldn't be making a noise anyway.
Having said that modern wide tyred cars make a fair racket at much over walking pace from their tyres alone, on the bike I can sometimes hear them half a mile or more back and that's entirely from tyre noise.

Don't know about hybrids but all the EV's I'm aware of can make a noise (if it's turned on and whether you'd need to turn it on or not would be down to the law in your individual country).

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 30 Jun 2019, 10:12am

Hi,
Doing 12 mile an hour maybe just.
In that case not worth the effort.
Probably won't make a difference in safety statistics, due to the way pedestrians don't have a look before walking across the road Right in front of me.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Debs

Postby Debs » 30 Jun 2019, 1:02pm

There will be an 'option' to turn it off,
and i expect most will, and then completely forget to ever use it :roll:

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 30 Jun 2019, 1:10pm

Debs wrote:

There will be an 'option' to turn it off,
and i expect most will, and then completely forget to ever use it :roll:

IMO the only place it's possibly needed is car parks. Folk like to reverse out of their spots without too much actual looking.
(Perhaps reversing off their drives too.)

On the road folk really need to get into the habit of looking and not just assuming a car isn't coming because they can't hear it.
My bike is a lot quieter than an electric car.

Debs

Postby Debs » 30 Jun 2019, 2:11pm

kwackers wrote:My bike is a lot quieter than an electric car.

and a lot less dangerous :wink:

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 30 Jun 2019, 2:54pm

Debs wrote:
kwackers wrote:My bike is a lot quieter than an electric car.

and a lot less dangerous :wink:

Not to me it isn't. I'd rather not come off because someone stepped out in the road.

If they're forced to have to look in order to avoid being run over by cars then it's a win for everyone. ;)

Debs

Postby Debs » 30 Jun 2019, 4:38pm

kwackers wrote:If they're forced to have to look in order to avoid being run over by cars then it's a win for everyone. ;)

But unfortunately no one will be forcing them to look.
From what i know about people generally they won't look, shouldn't have to look, couldn't be bothered to look, too busy thinking about other things to look, and will step-out with their head stuck up their smart-arse phones :D

In a perfect world people would look, but in this world the initiative for attracting attention will need to be with the 'quiet traveller' on approach.

By the way, we're off topic :wink:

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 30 Jun 2019, 4:44pm

Hi there, And when a stupid idiot glued to the phone steps in front of a cyclist the cyclist gets hammed!
Loads of witnesses state she didn't look and the cyclist tried to avoid the impact, but some idiot Judge gives her damages & costs? Insanity reigns!
Logic of the mad house. TTFN MM

pete75

Postby pete75 » 30 Jun 2019, 4:55pm

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:

I would have thought China with its' mantra of " All people are equal but some people are more equal than others" would appeal more to your politics than mine.

Well, as usual, you've thought wrong.

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 30 Jun 2019, 5:05pm

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Well, as usual, you've thought wrong.

fascinating

pete75

Postby pete75 » 30 Jun 2019, 5:21pm

kwackers wrote:

Was it doing more than 12mph? If so then even with the new rules it wouldn't be making a noise anyway.
Having said that modern wide tyred cars make a fair racket at much over walking pace from their tyres alone, on the bike I can sometimes hear them half a mile or more back and that's entirely from tyre noise.

Don't know about hybrids but all the EV's I'm aware of can make a noise (if it's turned on and whether you'd need to turn it on or not would be down to the law in your individual country).

Traditionally electric vehicles made enough noise from the milk bottles rattling in their crates. :wink: