** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Looking at the state of everything, both Parliament and the country and with the clear distaste for Johnson as PM (Alan Duncan was not complimentary) across wise swathes of opinion.
Plus the impossibilty of 31st October as any kind of deadline-UK Parliament is in recess til just a couple of weeks before. Brussels new Commission start on 1st Nov.

I will stick my neck out and say General Election announced by Xmas.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I will stick my neck out and say General Election announced by Xmas.

I'm going to take that bet.

I think it's too soon.
BoJo won't want to be seen to fail so early.

I think the most likely outcome is another referendum although Oct is too soon for that too.
I'm of the opinion there'll be a lot of huffing and puffing from Boris, the can will get kicked down the road and then he'll start making noises about deadlocks and asking "the people" which option they prefer.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ah it may not altogether be up to Johnson.
If he loses his majority then the games up.

What shall we say as a stake?
Fish and chip supper?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:What shall we say as a stake?
Fish and chip supper?

As long as I don't have to pay the London surcharge. ;)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It looks likely that one way or another Piffle will not last long.
For some time it has seemed to me (someone who knows little) that a referendum is the only resolution available. Though a referendum might not resolve anything!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

horizon wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:I think there's a lot of misunderstanding with many of these labels -

John.

Absolutely - they are used very liberally. But elite is used an in a perjorative sense and I think needs to be challenged. It's firstly fairly meaningless in a political or economic context as it implies excellence whereas in fact ownership is much more important. Secondly, it's used as a means of repudiating any valid criticism of Brexit. And, as you point out, elite actually refers to a certain group whose membership doesn't necessarily correlate to the use of elite as a term of abuse.

I use the term elite simply to describe a class or group, you don't have to be excellent to be in an elite - the members of the current and future Tory government are an elite but by no means excellent.

Whether the belligerent among us like it or not there is no escaping elites in our society: some behave like Apparatchiks. The issue I find with Leavers in particular is that they are completely uncritical of those they support (i.e Farage, Johnson et al).

And if a Remainer says anything a Leaver doesn't like they get abused as either a remainer or what they say is fake news. I'd also add the Leaver mantra regarding democracy: well we're about to get PM number two we didn't vote for and he will have been voted for by less than 2% of the population - hence my no cheers for democracy comment.

John.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

kwackers wrote:
Fish and chip supper?

No we don't want any of that business! :shock:

Somewhere nearer to home. Much more civilized.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mike Sales wrote:Though a referendum might not resolve anything!

Another referendum might move things on, but only if the broadcasters learn to hold politicians properly to account. Otherwise it's a dangerous waste of time.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Fish and chip supper?

No we don't want any of that business! :shock:

Somewhere nearer to home. Much more civilized.

London's a no-go area that has been ethnically cleansed of the English. Sharia law forbids the eating of fish and chips. You're welcome to come anyway, if you like.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Not sure what a GE would solve. Given the current division in both major parties and the unlikelihood of a proper majority, and the British dislike of coalition, we could just go from mess to mess.
John
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Forget about going from mess to mess, lets just have Corbin and his crowd and chances are the EU will insist that Brexit takes place as in a short space of time, we will be looking for EU handouts instead of us proping them up.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Bowedw wrote:Forget about going from mess to mess, lets just have Corbin and his crowd and chances are the EU will insist that Brexit takes place as in a short space of time, we will be looking for EU handouts instead of us proping them up.

In your critically considered and objective opinion how will Corbin and his crowd (sic) mess things up more that the current Tory menagerie - and furthermore if we're out of the EU how would we qualify for handouts ?

John.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bowedw wrote:Forget about going from mess to mess, lets just have Corbin and his crowd and chances are the EU will insist that Brexit takes place as in a short space of time, we will be looking for EU handouts instead of us proping them up.

We could on the other hand just give the money to the banks.

Oh wait we are! The money we get back from the sale of bonds that we printed and used to buy them off the banks is used to buy more bonds.
QE. The gift that never stops giving. Funny how we can't afford some fairly basic labour policies (and lets be honest at least half of what he promises won't happen) but we can afford to keep pumping money into our banking system.
Currently we have 434 billion of our cash in bonds - how much is labour going to cost us again?

On the plus side all that cheap money means those hard up bankers don't have to hand out too much to the prols in interest from their savings - what are they saving for anyway?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JoJo and BoJo look very similar, I can hardly tell them apart
I think JoJo might sneak into Number Ten and save us from This Madness
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:JoJo and BoJo look very similar, I can hardly tell them apart
I think JoJo might sneak into Number Ten and save us from This Madness

no such luck the anti-christ has won - we now also have a clown as PM.

Democracy has spoken well 92,000 out of how many milion have :roll: